• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

is microwaved food good for you

A

Anonymous

Is microwaved food good for you? I beleive not, check this story out.http://www.nexusmagazine.com/microwave.html For years we have grown vegetables,watching some of my brother farmers,I have seen the growth in incecticide use and poly use of chemicals.Withholding periods are stated before produce goes to market,but this does not include poly mixing of chemicals which greatly expand the withholding period which is not catered for.Now imagine putting this food in a microwave,this has to have an effect upon the chemicals that are still active in the food.I advise to use only organically produced food,are you willing to take the risk?

I have never owned a microwave and can see no pressing need to
own one, even now they are dirt cheap. I have often been fed
microwaved food at people's houses and in restaurants and been
remarkably polite, considering.

But honestly I hate the stuff! It is never quite right. And I have never
understood the convenience argument at all. If you want to eat now
then don't choose a baked potato. By the time I have tossed the
salad, poured a glass of wine etc, then most dishes can be ready
by conventional oven.

I like long cooking times. As I write, there is a delicious casserole
smell wafting up the stairs. Maybe the smell will be less welcome
tomorrow . . . but no system is perfect! :)

I remember when microwaves first became commercially available here in the UK, they were widely believed to be evil. They gave you cancer, cooked your insides, messed with the environment etc etc. Pretty much the things that people say about mobile phones now. But I'm sure they're safe. It's not like all the major food/electrical goods companies would ever suppress info like that in order to make a buck. Ahem.:rolleyes:

Must go. That ping tells me my micro-pizza is ready. :)

I must admit I don't stand anywhere near mine when it is on . I tend to just make popcorn and heat up cold coffee in it . And globe artichokes are very quick cooked in a microwave and taste better and also seem to produce more gas too which is cool .
I remember a lond time ago reading about a woman who fed her cats cooked fish, they loved it poached in water but wouldn't touch the same fish if it was microwaved , perhaps they knew something we don't .
Marion

Marion said:
I tend to just make popcorn and heat up cold coffee in it

Careful when heating up coffee or any other liquid in the microwave as it can explode if you put a spoon in it.
Check out this link.

James Whitehead said:
By the time I have tossed the
salad, poured a glass of wine etc, then most dishes can be ready
by conventional oven.

I like long cooking times. As I write, there is a delicious casserole
smell wafting up the stairs. :)
Can I come to dinner at your house James? Are you single? :)

Yum yum, beakboo for dinner! I've got my pinny on already and I
am certainly singular.

Don't waste money on a return ticket, you dish! ;)

Gee ,I hope you are not going to microwave Beakboo, James?

We bought our first microwave when our youngest was a baby and I very soon learned how to heat her bottles to the perfect temperature. She never had to wait for her milk as the others had when they were bottle-fed. She's now an intelligent, beautiful 16 year old and certainly didn't seem to suffer any ill-effects.

Cursed said:
Pretty much the things that people say about mobile phones now. But I'm sure they're safe.
You wouldn't stick your head inside/next to a microwave. That's what your doing to some extent with a mobile.

Yeah, in the oven the micro wave radiation is contained. With the mobile phone the radiation is just flying around.

UrbanDruid said:
We bought our first microwave when our youngest was a baby and I very soon learned how to heat her bottles to the perfect temperature. She never had to wait for her milk as the others had when they were bottle-fed. She's now an intelligent, beautiful 16 year old and certainly didn't seem to suffer any ill-effects.
Although it's said to be safe to heat a babies bottle in this way, be warned, it can create tiny bubbles in the formular leading to wind pain.

Beware, beakboo--James has a large purple head!

Oh God, I'm so sorry. I'm trying to be serious. Really I am. Where's Captain Buttock when you need him?

Red Dalek said:
You wouldn't stick your head inside/next to a microwave. That's what your doing to some extent with a mobile.

A microwave puts out anything up to and beyond 800 Watts of energy. A mobile phone puts out about 1 Watt.

Red Dalek said:

It's Just Heat

While I've no clue how chemicals from insecticide residue may interact in vegetables as they cook, I'm puzzled by the focus on microwaves specifically, as they simply apply heat, as does simmering your veggies in a pot on the stove or for that matter baking them in a conventional oven.

Given the hysterical tone of the article, I'd guess it's all good fun and move on, and not worry too much about how one heats things.

As for the chemical residue, though, one can rinse one's food I suppose. And in truth the perishingly small concentrations found in edible food and potable water make any harm unlikely.

Back