• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is Prince Philip a god?

• I suspect he may be

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I'm inclined to think not

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • How the hell should i know?

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
Is Prince Philip an Island God?

Is Prince Philip an island god?

By Nick Squires

BBC News, Vanuatu

Britain's Duke of Edinburgh may be planning a quiet birthday celebration at home this weekend, but there will be feasting and flag-waving in an isolated jungle village in the South Pacific nation of Vanuatu, where he is worshipped as a god.

The Land Cruiser ground up the rough dirt track, pitching and rolling like a boat. The trail was so severely eroded that it was more like a river bed, with miniature canyons gouged out by the monsoon rains.

I had been drawn to this poor excuse for a road by a story so unlikely that it sounded barely credible.

It was one I had wanted to investigate for years.

Legend had it that there was a clutch of villages on the island of Tanna in Vanuatu which - as bizarre as it may seem - worshipped Prince Philip as a god.

How and why they had chosen the Duke of Edinburgh, I had no idea. I fully expected the story to be either false, or wildly exaggerated.

After an hour's drive we pulled into a jungle clearing shaded by giant banyan trees.

A short walk led to the village of Yaohnanen, a collection of sagging thatched huts, banana trees and snotty-nosed little kids.

With the help of my driver-cum-interpreter, Lui, I was introduced to the chief of the village. Jack Naiva was a bright-eyed old man of about 80, with grey hair and a faded sarong wrapped around his wiry body.

I felt deeply foolish telling him I had come to his village to ask if he worshipped the Queen's husband.

I wondered if it was all some sort of elaborate joke.

But the look on Chief Jack's face told me it was not. He dispatched one of the villagers and a few minutes later the man returned from a hut with three framed pictures.

They were all official portraits of the Prince.

The first, in black and white, looked like it was taken in the early 1960s.

The second was dated 1980 and showed the Prince holding a traditional pig-killing club - a present from the islanders.

The most recent was from seven years ago.

They had all been sent from London with the discreet permission of Prince Philip, who is apparently well aware that he is the subject of such distant adoration.

Chief Jack squatted on the ground as he told me how the Prince Philip cult had come about.

It seems that it emerged some time in the 1960s, when Vanuatu was an Anglo-French colony known as the New Hebrides.

For centuries, perhaps millennia, villagers had believed in an ancient story about the son of a mountain spirit venturing across the seas to look for a powerful woman to marry.

They believed that unlike them, this spirit had pale skin.

Somehow the legend gradually became associated with Prince Philip, who had indeed married a rich and powerful lady.

Villagers would have seen his portrait - and that of the Queen - in government outposts and police stations run by British colonial officials.

Their beliefs were bolstered in 1974, when the Queen and Prince Philip made an official visit to the New Hebrides. Here was their ancestral spirit, resplendent in a white naval officer's uniform, come back to show off his bride.

"He's a god, not a man," the chief told me emphatically, pointing at the portraits.

None of the cult followers can read or write.

They told me - somewhat amazingly - that it was only this year that they learnt the date of the Prince's birthday - 10 June.

As Philip turns 86 and they are planning to mark the occasion with a feast and ceremonial drinking of kava, an intoxicating brew made from the roots of a pepper tree which makes your mouth go numb.

They have even acquired a large Union flag which they are going to run up a bamboo flag pole.

It is easy to see all this as so much South Seas mumbo jumbo.

But that would be a grave mistake, anthropologists told me.

Millennial movements like this were a highly sophisticated response by islanders in the South Pacific to the arrival of colonialism and Christianity.

By combining the fundamentals of their ancient beliefs with new elements gleaned from their contact with the West, they were able to preserve their culture.

There is, of course, a delicious irony in all this.

Prince Philip, after all, is a man who has a reputation for making politically incorrect gaffes, often about foreigners.

He once advised British students not to stay too long in China for fear of becoming "slitty-eyed".

And he asked a group of stunned aborigines if they still threw spears at each other.

The villagers of Tanna may live a life far removed from the splendour of Buckingham Palace and Balmoral in far away Britain. But they are as firm in their beliefs as Prince Philip is in his.

I suspect that if they were ever to meet, they would get along rather well.

From Our Own Correspondent was broadcast on Saturday 9 June 2007 at 1130 BST on BBC Radio 4.

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2007/06/10 00:03:58 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Anthropology upside down...

Strange island: Pacific tribesmen come to study Britain

For centuries, anthropologists have travelled overseas to live among ‘strange’ tribes and observe their ‘colourful’ ways. But rarely has it been tried the other way round. So what happened when a group of South Pacific islanders spent a month in Britain to study our own odd little lives?
By Guy Adams
Published: 08 September 2007

One bright morning in St James's Park and a stream of tourists approaches Buckingham Palace, where trumpets will shortly herald the Changing of the Guard. In the middle of the crowd walk five very short, very odd-looking men. They carry camcorders, gesticulate wildly, and talk in a language no one can understand. In the heart of picture-postcard London, this bizarre group stands out like a sore thumb.

Further investigation reveals that a film crew is tracking the party, at a discreet distance. Something is going on. In fact, the cameras are bearing witness to a historic event: the odd-looking group, whose skin is dark and whose smiles are wide, and who all measure around five feet tall, are on the verge of completing an extraordinary social experiment.

In March this year, a British TV company invited a small tribe called the Kastam, from the tiny South Pacific island of Tanna, to send a delegation to England, a country none of its people had ever visited before. They spent a month living here, learning our customs, and making a film about the way the strange and alien inhabitants of a modern western democracy live. The five men walking up the Mall are this delegation. We are witnessing the final chapter of their incredible journey.

The film, in the form of a three-part documentary called Meet the Natives, appears on Channel 4 later this month. It will mark a scientific first: for generations, western anthropologists have travelled to faraway lands to live among native tribes and document their way of life. But, until now, anthropology has always been a one-way street; alien cultures have never " gone native" over here. The project was an experiment in what one might call reverse anthropology.

A very strange experiment it was too. The five men, whose names are Yapa, Joel, JJ, Posen and Albi, come from a small hillside village on Tanna, which is the southern tip of the archipelago that makes up the island nation of Vanuatu. At home, they live in mud huts, wear nothing but penis sheaths made from grass, and while away days conforming to a sort of tropical cliché: tending crops, looking after pigs and sitting contentedly in the shade of the banyan tree.

The hurly-burly of central London, where I was invited to follow the group for a day, couldn't be more different. For men who had grown up in a place where the only form of currency is pigs, and innovations such as electricity, television and the internal combustion engine never caught on, the land of skyscrapers and unbridled capitalism isn't just another country. It might as well be another planet.

In a strange way, however, Yapa, Joel, JJ, Posen and Albi were ideally equipped to study our frenetic society: as the ultimate outsiders, their take on everything from household gadgets to domestic relations and workplace convention promised to be as quaintly amusing as it was unique. Only very few peoples on the face of our globalised planet could pull off an anthropological study of the UK, and the Kastam were one of them.

There was, however, to be a twist; a faintly extraordinary one, too. Kastam religion has it that England and Tanna were once the same nation. They believe that our islands emerged, like twins, from a volcano at the time of creation. Some time afterwards, England drifted away to the far side of the globe. But today, the tribe reckon, the Brits remain their lost brothers. When the delegation arrived in the UK, and met its people, they were treating them as long-lost brothers.

Stranger still, for viewers of the documentary, is the fact that (for reasons that will be fully explained later) the Kastam worship a very famous inhabitant of England, who once visited their island on board a very smart yacht. That man is Prince Philip. Incredibly, the Kastam believe that the husband of our Queen is the Son of God.

All of which explains why Yappa, Joel, JJ, Posen and Albi are jabbering so wildly, and walking so excitedly up the Mall towards Buckingham Palace on a sun-dappled morning. They are experiencing a moment of religious revelation. The building before them, which they call "the big house", is home to a man who they have spent their entire lives worshipping. Prince Philip, they reckon, is God made flesh.

The five reverse anthropologists are engaged in nothing less splendid than fulfilling a religious prophecy: that the Son of God will one day meet with them and agree to return to live with his brothers in the South Pacific. The men believe, to adapt a song from the football terraces they have visited (to study sporting culture) only days earlier, that the Duke of Edinburgh is finally about to be coming home. Watching a group of Kastam come to terms with our customs is both instructive and very, very funny. Many of the things you'd expect to leave them flummoxed duly do: at meal-times, for example, the group struggle to cope with sitting at table, and using plates, knives and forks (they are used to dining with their hands, cross-leggeed on the floor). In one early scene, when they attend a dinner party, Yapa tucks into the contents of the butter dish, with some gusto. He is either too polite, or too confused, to stop until the entire slab is finished. :shock:

In another, the group attends a rural pub on a Friday evening, which they describe as the white man's version of the "nakamal", or village meeting place. They are perturbed by how noisy it is. JJ remarks that the white man's fire-water (Adnams bitter) makes everyone behave in a strangely boisterous manner. Yet although the Kastam are uncomfortable with drunkenness, they turn out to be extremely handy at another English pub tradition: darts. 8)

Over its three episodes, Meet the Natives billets the group with the three great English tribes: the middle-class, upper-class and working-class. They spend a week on a Norfolk pig farm, a week on a Manchester housing estate (where they sample the twin delights of bingo and KFC), and a week at Chillingham Castle in Northumberland, seat of Sir Humphry Wakefield, Bt.

"I didn't want to stereotype the UK," says Will Anderson, the series producer, "but at the same time we had four weeks to give them a sense of the enormous diversity of England, and decided this was the best way to show them a snapshot of what was here.

"Before the group visited, we spent a lot of time talking to them. They had a lot of questions about food and farming and pigs, so we obviously wanted to show that. They also wanted to see a city, which was something they'd never experienced before, so we went for Manchester. Obviously, trying to meet Prince Philip was another priority, so we decided to give them experience of people who lived in some way like him."

Most surprising is what Yapa, Joel, JJ, Posen and Albi find either enjoyable, or shocking. In the Norfolk countryside, they were deeply upset by the practice of artificially inseminating pigs ("a crazy thing ... undignified ... goes against nature"), but delighted by ferreting for rabbits, which they considered a sort of land-based fishing.

In Manchester they were staggered by the phenomenon of homelessness (in Tanna, your family provides a home, come what may), but felt relatively at home in a nightclub, since ritual dancing is an important part of their culture. In London, where they spent a week in a penthouse flat in Docklands, they learnt to love Marlboro Lights and fish and chips, but were left cold by the hustle and bustle of city living.

The Kastam are also strangers to the sexual revolution, finding it hard to comprehend how a man and a woman can be equal partners in a marriage. They are staggered at the amount of time Britons spend cleaning and washing up, which is regarded as a waste of time and effort. [Hear, hear! :D ]

The most extraordinary aspect of their visit, though, revolved around Prince Philip. On the day I met the group outside Buckingham Palace, we set off on a whistle-stop tour of London's tourist attractions, including Madame Tussauds. Here, statues of Tom Cruise and other Hollywood stars provoked not a flicker of recognition. Graham Norton's waxwork left them cold. The world of modern celebrity was clearly alien. [I think I am related to the Kastam!]

Until, that is, we entered a room housing life-size replicas of our current Royal Family. Yapa, Joel, JJ, Posen and Albi became animated to the point of frenzy. They rushed up to the waxwork Prince Philip, and hugged it. They held his hand, and looked deep into his marble eyes. It was an extraordinary moment. During the hour that the group spent admiring this one model, I learnt a little about the events that led to our Duke of Edinburgh becoming a God in the South Pacific.

The story runs something like this: at the start of the last century, English missionaries visited Tanna in an effort to convert them to Christianity. This angered the Kastam God, who sent his eldest son over to the UK to try to stop them. On Tanna, this son was a spirit, but in England they believe that this spirit has taken on the form of a man. When the Royal yacht Britannia visited their island in the 1970s, they decided that this man was Prince Philip. Shortly afterwards, the tribe sent the Duke of Edinburgh a club, by way of a gift. Several months later, Buckingham Palace returned the favour, posting them a framed picture of a smiling Prince Philip holding the club. In such gestures are legends born. Today, that photograph is a religious icon, their equivalent of an altar at a church.

As a result, Meet the Natives boasts an intriguing sub-plot: the group is anxious to meet with the man they believe to be the Son of God, and ask him to return home. Much of the series revolves around the question of whether they will be granted an audience with Prince Philip. Without revealing what does happen, it all reaches a show-stopping denouement at Windsor Castle. Fascinating and hilarious as this exercise turned out to be, it will not be without its detractors. Within the anthropological community, there are many who now believe that the exercise threatened to corrupt a unique tribal culture. Still more believed that attempting to introduce the visitors to Prince Philip was fraught with danger: in one slip of his tongue, he would after all be capable of shaking their entire religion to its foundations – and the Duke is not, let's face it, a man renowned for tact.

Article continues.....
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_b ... 932252.ece

Sounds like must-watch TV!

Could that Independent article possibly be any more patronising? The only reason these people hold their rather confused beliefs about Prince Philip is because of the meddling of Western missionaries in their culture (Oh, but of course believing that some obscure preacher dude rose from the dead 2000 years ago then flew up to heaven is a perfectly sensible thing to believe in, isn't it?) And now Channel 4 have to go and meddle some more. I suppose we won't be happy until we've turned their entire island into a theme park.

As for it being a "scientific first" - exactly what is "scientific" about it?

THIS BRITISH GUY LIVED WITH THE TRIBE THAT WORSHIPS PRINCE PHILIP

Remember Tanna, the South Pacific island home to a cargo cult whose members believe that Prince Philip is a living god? I'm sure you do, because it's not an easy thing to forget. But it's most likely been filed away somewhere with all the other internet oddities you come across every day, next to r/DragonsFuckingCars and those photos from Russian dating websites—which kind of makes sense, considering it's a tiny piece of land somewhere near Fiji full of people praying to the Queen's husband in the hope he'll return to them in spirit form.

But to Matt Baylis, a writer from Southport, England, it made a slightly deeper impression. Matt grew up with a poster of the Duke of Edinburgh on his wall; he admired the Prince's pragmatic approach to life and presumably choosing to ignore all of that mildly racist stuff he's said about Chinese and Aborigine people. So after learning that there were others who shared a vaguely similar attitude towards Phil the Greek, it was a simple next step to fly to Tanna and experience the cult for himself.

I gave Matt a call to chat about his time with the Tanna cargo cult, nights spent on a psychoactive plant called kava, and how the tribe convinced themselves that he was a sacred figure with a spiritual connection to Prince Philip.

VICE: How did you end up on Tanna?

Matt Baylis: It started with a boyhood obsession. I was a big fan of Prince Philip when I was about ten or 11. I was very fond of him and always thought he got a bit of a raw deal. Later in my life, I ended up studying anthropology at university, and cargo cults crop up on every undergraduate anthropology course. One of our lecturers told us that on the island of Tanna, there were cults forming and regrouping all the time, and said, "Yeah, and there’s even a Prince Philip cult there." Everyone laughed, but because of my prior interest I was fascinated and wanted to know more. Later in life, I was still interested in the cult, so I thought, I should go. I had enough money, so I went and did it.
Full interview:
http://www.vice.com/read/this-guy-went- ... nce-philip

And he's written a book!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Belong-Mrs- ... 1908699647

All is well.

Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 10.39.28 PM.png

Paywall and all that.

Oh, that is good news;

Im sure these good people were in everybodies minds over this sad period.

Hes going to be

HE WHO WAITS VERY PATIENTLY TO BE KING?

Nice to hear these guys mentioned in the news bulletin on the radio this morning.

Anthropology upside down...

Strange island: Pacific tribesmen come to study Britain

For centuries, anthropologists have travelled overseas to live among ‘strange’ tribes and observe their ‘colourful’ ways. But rarely has it been tried the other way round. So what happened when a group of South Pacific islanders spent a month in Britain to study our own odd little lives?
By Guy Adams
Published: 08 September 2007

In March this year, a British TV company invited a small tribe called the Kastam, from the tiny South Pacific island of Tanna, to send a delegation to England, a country none of its people had ever visited before. They spent a month living here, learning our customs, and making a film about the way the strange and alien inhabitants of a modern western democracy live. The five men walking up the Mall are this delegation. We are witnessing the final chapter of their incredible journey.

Over its three episodes, Meet the Natives billets the group with the three great English tribes: the middle-class, upper-class and working-class. They spend a week on a Norfolk pig farm, a week on a Manchester housing estate (where they sample the twin delights of bingo and KFC), and a week at Chillingham Castle in Northumberland, seat of Sir Humphry Wakefield, Bt.

The most extraordinary aspect of their visit, though, revolved around Prince Philip.

Article continues.....
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_b ... 932252.ece

Sounds like must-watch TV!

I remember watching this show when it was first broadcast.

The three things I took from it were:

1.) The "British" food the Vanuatans most liked was KFC.

2.) One of their hosts, a Mancunian martial arts exponent in his early 40's, when told by the Vanuatans that they worshipped Prince Phillip, reacted without any hint of condescension or giggles...he did not judge them, he just accepted what they told him and said he had not been aware of it until they told him.

3.) The Vanuatans got to met Prince Philip in private, not on film, because one of their hosts knew Prince Philip.
Whether the production crew knew this or not before filming was not apparent to me, but it was amazing to me that Philip agreed to meet them at a time when his schedule would have been very busy.
My thought at the time was that the Prince knew his refusal to meet them might cause a major problem in Vanuatu, shattering their belief system and causing widespread grief amongst the tribe.

Last edited:
I remember watching this show when it was first broadcast.

The three things I took from it were:

1.) The "British" food the Vanuatans most liked was KFC.

2.) One of their hosts, a Mancunian martial arts exponent in his early 40's, when told by the Vanuatans that they worshipped Prince Phillip, reacted without any hint of condescension or giggles...he did not judge them, he just accepted what they told him and said he had not been aware of it until they told him.

3.) The Vanuatans got to met Prince Philip in private, not on film, because one of their hosts knew Prince Philip.
Whether the production crew knew this or not before filming was not apparent to me, but it was amazing to me that Philip agreed to meet them at a time when his schedule would have been very busy.
My thought at the time was that the Prince knew his refusal to meet them might cause a major problem in Vanuatu, shattering their belief system and causing widespread grief amongst the tribe.

Just a point, you won't know this, but that is one of the most stereotypical things to say about Pacific islanders, Maori, etc.

So best avoided.

Just a point, you won't know this, but that is one of the most stereotypical things to say about Pacific islanders, Maori, etc.

So best avoided.

The programme showed them eating different types of Western food that they had not eaten before.
They themselves commented that they enjoyed the KFC the most.

If Pacific Islanders living in the cities of Australia and New Zealand are stereotyped as liking KFC then as far as I am concerned, this programme was not relevant to that depitction.
These men were from a remote tribe, with no access to modern shops.
If I remember correctly, one of them had lived in the "Western world" before, and spoke English, and translated for the rest.

[Edit: @Naughty_Felid I understand that if I had wanted to enforce a stereotype that my post would be offensive and bigoted, but I did not want to do that, and I had no idea that stereotype of Pacific Islanders existed. It was merely a description of the TV programme.]

Last edited:

So best avoided.

That they eat fried chicken? Like the stereotype of African Americans? I lived in NZ for a year and was not aware of this stereotype.

I saw the programme and do remember them eating and enjoying KFC.

My island - a british dependent territory - celebrated it 500th anniversary a few years ago. (i.e. 500 years since it was discovered). They wanted to get someone royal to visit to mark the occasion and the palace sent us - its too terrible to tell you ....... prince edward

Oi Oi. Nothing wrong with Edward thank you very much.

One lunchtime many years ago, I was walking through a back street in the west end of London (Charlotte street If I remember rightly) and happened to walk past him.

I wished him a good afternoon, and he smiled broadly and wished me a good afternoon back.

I'll have nothing said against the man. Decent chap. :)

Back