• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

is this a Griffon?

A

Anonymous

I saw this pictrure on rickys forum and i thought it looked quite interesting. Notice it has ears also. If it is a fake id saw its a pretty good one.
What do you guys think?

I'd say it's good, but it's a taxidermist's trick, just like a jackalope. The back end of a lion, and the front end of some large bird. Literally. I'd say the beak and talons didn't belong to the original bird, they look too yellow to be true (maybe because the taxidermist couldn't find a genuine bird of prey large enough to match the back end of a lion in scale?)

Joel Levy's Natural History of the Unnatural World (very entertaining book, and generally accurate in its folklore, but also very tongue in cheek, so you can't always seperate the joke from the real deal) says of this picture:

"The world's only stuffed Griffon... shot down over Copenhagen by the Belgian huntress Nadine Legrand - is now preserved in a Danish museum"

Safe to say it's a fake then :)

Yeah, id say it was a fake to but it is a pretty good one if you ask me. I like the ears and i know what you mean about the beak being too yellow but hey if there was such a thing as the griffon who knows what colour its beak would be right?

Yeah, who knows! And maybe mermaids really *do* look like dried up dead monkeys with badly stitched-on fish tails :D

On a vaguley related note, I've always wanted a jackalope, but I've never been able to find one. Are they rare? I asked an Islington taxidermist, and he said he'd make me one for four hundred quid. I said, I'll give you a fiver. Strangely, he said no. Has anyone ever seen one outside of museums?

Slytherin said:
Yeah, who knows! And maybe mermaids really *do* look like dried up dead monkeys with badly stitched-on fish tails :D

On a vaguley related note, I've always wanted a jackalope, but I've never been able to find one. Are they rare? I asked an Islington taxidermist, and he said he'd make me one for four hundred quid. I said, I'll give you a fiver. Strangely, he said no. Has anyone ever seen one outside of museums?

400???? Good lord, you can find these things all over in sporting goods shops in the US.

If you're in a bind, you can always try Jackalope Junction, for all your Jackalope needs:

http://www.jackalopejunction.com/Jackalopes_for.html

Though, the prices seem a little stiff.

Excellent link! Cheers, Ogo.

I think there's just a drought of British jackalopes, seeing as we don't have jack rabbits here. Or lopes for that matter. The hare without the horns was about two hundred and fifty, plus a hundred and fifty for the mutilatation of a little deer. That's London prices for you! Maybe I'll get a cuddly one instead...

could you do better conners? if so plz send me one as id love a griffon.

Jackalopes are real, i have a stuffed one (see avatar) it's not a fake!!!!
;)

Back