• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is this forum haunted?

A

Anonymous

:cross eye :monster: :monster: :monster: :monster: :eek!!!!:

After reading lots of these ghost stories, UFO stories, strange scary animal stories and so on, I went to stay with my parents for the weekend. They've got an old oast house in Sussex and it's full of old noises (things scratching against the windows, boards creaking and tapping, lots of dark corners full of strange shapes, the usual). And! Somebody died there (possibly).
So, there I was at 2 am, everyone else had gone to bed, I put the telly off and the awesome silence of the countryside pressed itself into my ears, and I am freaked out. I go into the dark bathroom and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! There's someone in there! But I turn the light on and there's nobody there. I go in and "do my business" but then I'm thinking "oh my god there's somebody standing behing me breathing into my ear!" but I turn around and there's nobody there. I am washing my hands and I catch sight of a hideous shadow behind me in the mirror - but I turn around and there's nobody there I open the door and I am thinking "somebody's going to jump out at me" - nobody does.. Etc etc etc this goes on continuously for some twenty or thirty minutes. And could it be that a ghost has come out of the message board and it haunting me?
So, I stopped reading the scary ghost messages and lo! Gradually the haunting calmed down and now I can sleep at night!

Was it all in my head? It seemed so real!

:eek!!!!:

Nothing's ever haunted me from the ft board:D Other than my imagination! I think you would have to do something more startling than just reading the boards to have some sort of phenomena attach itself to you. Do the members agree?

Yes, Brian, I agree. I do think reading the board just before bedtime can expand the imagination somewhat, so perhaps you read more into otherwise mundane events (I certainly do - every now and then there is something particlarly creepy reported on the board, and I tend to find myself more aware of my surroundings, especially at night).

But actual paranormal phenomena generated by the board? No, I think as with most Fortean stuff it's a convergence of being in the right place at the right time more than anything else.

Stu

Does anyone else think though that an abnormally high number of fortean events happen to Forteans??? I've had loads of odd stuff happened to me in my life but I couldnt actually tell anyone becuase they would be a bit suspicious that all these things happen to someone who spends so long reading up on them.

BTW, my house actually is an old Sussex cottage where somone died. :eek!!!!:

Adam Rang said:
Does anyone else think though that an abnormally high number of fortean events happen to Forteans???
I doubt it. But Forteans, being interested in such stuff, will think about and remember these sort of things, while others will tend to dismiss them. (Unless it's something VERY strange, in which case another skeptic becomes, if not a believer, then a Fortean!)

My parents aren't Fortean, but my Dad says the house is "vibey"and that he sometimes sees things moving out of the corner of his eye, or has a feeling of being watched. There are an unusual number of spiders all over the property. Once I was exploring and I saw an interesting loft-hatch. I lifted it up and stuck my head into the space to see what was there, but my face went straight into a cloud of cobwebs.
During the summer if you eat outside, you sometimes have to pick the spiders out of your food first. "Spiders" have been blamed in the past for setting the burglar alarm off, always at about 1 or 2 in the morning. - But why would the system be so sensitive? At night the silence really is invasive, like something that presses into your ears. It was an old oast house and the man who converted it died. He also did the electrics - not very well! The lights in the kitchen go on and off at will.
My Mum has not noticed any bad karma, she just says "we do get through an awful lot of light bulbs" and "I clean away a cobweb, and an hour later there's another one".

But this didn't spook me until reading the message board, so it could be that the board is haunted by a 'shadowy dread' which preys on those with overactive imaginations, it crept out of the computer screen and followed me down to E.Sussex, where it awaits me at 2 in the morning next time I visit.

rynner said:
I doubt it. But Forteans, being interested in such stuff, will think about and remember these sort of things, while others will tend to dismiss them. (Unless it's something VERY strange, in which case another skeptic becomes, if not a believer, then a Fortean!)

I agree. And we're therefore probably more likely to talk about them as well.

By relaying messages from disincarnate entities, some of them
Evil, I suppose a Message Board is not very different from a
Ouija Board! Probably stimulates the same parts of the brain
too. :eek:

I was reading this MB late at night and it freaked me out. I had to read some jokes and chat to a friend on MSN to take my mind off it. He thought it was funny that I was scared. :eek:

As an aside, I wouldn't recommend doing the night shift in an old hospital, where you are the only person in that part of the building, and read vampire stories at the same time. The mind tends to run wild at 4am :)

I don't think that the board is haunted but I do think that it is a bit scary to find out that all those strange little weird things that you thought were just you being strange. Or just you being a child or just you remembering things wrongly...actually happen to loads of people....

That sometimes worries me when I am here late at night and I read something and think 'No way...that's just like the time when.....'

My personal favourite has to be spending a pleasant evening at home browsing the boards, then getting a call out request to my huge, 150 year old office (on the edge of a large abandoned cemetary) at 11:00PM. Upon arrival, security informed me that the lighing circuit was currently off, leading to an entertaining walk to the server room...

Actually, the board isn't haunted; I found this old document here, describing a lost gold mine right underneath the FT website. Hmmm. I think we've just about wrapped this mystery up. All we need is a plan, to get that Hoxton Creeper once and for all...

They say the souls of dead dotcom companies haunt the old abandoned "ghost sites" that you sometimes come across on the net...

But do you ever go outside into the woods at night to "test" yourself?
It is simply not possible after reading the boards, however. I fail that test.

The curse of the foul fiend.

Also, I have long suspected that a "vodoo curse" type thing or black magic curse is simply when an odd person with strange talents simply weaves their victim a compelling tale (like a tale told on this forum) which cunningly unhinges the victim's mind and causes them to see phantoms and so on.
If you were a bastard and wanted to "curse" a very imaginative person, you could tell them in a compelling way that you have summmoned e.g. shadow demons to haunt them, or an invisible creeping ghost that will have [insert common fortean phenomina usually disregarded by joe public but nonetheless strangely frightening if in a fort context] effect...
But I wouldn't do that to anyone I know, and I fear Stephen Byars is not imaginative enough to be a satisfying victim.

One who having once looked round...

Walks on,
And turns no more his head,
Because he knows a frightful fiend
Doth close behind him tread.

As a fresh face, and maybe an un-influenced fortean, how long am I looking at before I leave my work station a complete mental wreck? :)~ lol I try to keep an open mind, and a sense of rationality, but reading through some of the older threads i'm starting to get a little freaked :eek: some good accounts, stories ect though. interesting the board could be haunted.

Yes siree, the IHTM and Ghost forums are very scary. It doesn't help when you are almost always reading the threads very late at night!:eek:

I think its time to revive this thread as something strange has happened about 2 weeks ago but I couldn't be bothered to write it any earlier and I didn't know in which thread but it seems to fit here so:

I was reading "Anyone seen a ghost" and read a lot until I came to this one about an old norman church (I tried to get the link but there are so many entries and I can't find it anymore, was on page 17 or around there. Maybe some friendly mod can help out?)

Anyway, believe me I don't find churchy ghost stories quite boring but I was fascinated with this one. Every word seemed so interesting (thinking back it wasn't THAT brilliant but it seemed like it), so I kept reading it all. The guy who wrote it wanted to post some pictures but they weren't developed or something so he posted a link to the website of that church. I even went there and decided to download the piccies to have a closer look at them (just in case). One of the pictures seemed more interesting than the others (front view of church) and as I click "save as", my laptop freezes. No no no no no, that wasn't scary (yet), it was annoying because it takes such a long time to sit through scandisc. But I did it and as I was so determined I even managed to find the original post and got back to that website and downloaded all pictures.
Well needless to say, there was nothing out of the ordinary on any of them. That night I felt nervous and slightly paranoid and fearful (in a way I used to feel before I was put on medication... :gaga: - no seriously!). So I thought it somewhat unususal, checked if there was a full moon (makes me restless), but nope. So I took a deep breath and tried to calm down. Suddenly I felt my watch next to my pillow. I thought it must have opened and come off and just put it onto the bedsite cabinet without looking at it.
In the morning my husband looked at it and asked how my watch broke.
Broke? no it came off. I looked at it and the strap was snapped.
Now:
Firstly it isn't an old watch and secondly the strap is made of thick rubber. When I looked at it closely it didn't look as if it was worn and then broke but as if someone had pulled it apart. I tried some bending and pulling with the remainder but trust me when I say apart from gardening scissors or a really sharp knife nothing can just break that strap.
Well "shit" I thought as it was one of my fav watches and lied back down.
I heard hubby talking to his mum (yes we share a house with my mother-in-law), then he come up (with a cuppa) and told me that his mums gold pendant came off last night. She's been wearing that for years and it is also quite a sturdy thing. So when I went and asked her what happened she tells me that it looked as if someone had PULLED it off and that she needed pliers to fix it again...

Ok, each thing by itself can somehow be explained (apart from my watch I think) but all together they make a good lot of circumstantial evidence for a haunted forum. Even if it was just coincidence, it was quite unsettling.
Tried to take a picture of my watch with my phone, you can't really see much but I might put it on if anyone wants (not now as I have to download it etc and I'm soooo lazy).

...well, after all, the board is built on an old indian graveyard...

.........and we DID bring some spirits back from the Old Hall..........which is on TV right now............ :shock:

I love to read the spooky stuff but unfortunately I don't scare easily enough to take full advantage. :(

Sometimes I wake up in the night to a scary noise, then think, nah, the dog will sort it out.

A Jack Russell is a match for anything. 8)
Scares me.

dawg.jpg

Glensheen'sGirl said:
rynner said:

I agree. And we're therefore probably more likely to talk about them as well.

It seems to me that people who have strange experiences would become interested in forteana, rather than the other way around. I've never had any truly fortean experiences - thank God, as it would scare the hell out of me! But I don't read these boards at night, since I'm prone to creeping out easily!

Speaking of which, the spiders in the food is going to bother me now all day. :cross eye

Forteans and Fortean Happenings...

...I think there's a case to be made for a Fortean Observer Effect/Self Fulfilling Prophecy here. On the one hand, we're interested in the unusual and odd so when we see it we don't immediately dismiss it. On the other, we become sensitized to the possibility that there is a 'spooky' explanation for an event or atmosphere. When we go looking, we find a set of circumstances that can have a Fortean explanation.

I'm certainly prone to that. Reading certain types of material or watching particular types of TV show makes me definitely susceptible to Spooky House Syndrome.

I always find it a good idea to avoid topics involving: aliens (especially Greys), shadow men, sleep paralysis, 'window peepers', and poltergeists before going to bed.

I'm not that easily scared, but I'm not stupid, either! :shock:

I always find it a good idea to avoid topics involving: aliens (especially Greys), shadow men, sleep paralysis, 'window peepers', and poltergeists before going to bed.

Hmmm, Giant Robot's bedtime routine must be a little time-consuming.

- put all lights on, to eliminate possibility of Shadow Men
- put all lights off, to avoid drawing the attention on aliens/Greys
- open all curtains so as to watch for approach of aliens/Greys
- put away all breakables in case of poltergeist attack
- make cocoa, fill hot water bottle
- go upstairs, check under bed for aliens/Greys
- close all curtains to eliminate risk of catching eye of Window Peeper
- get in bed, switch on loud funky music, attempt to fall asleep while horizontally disco-dancing to avoid sleep paralysis

:lol:

escargot said:

Hmmm, Giant Robot's bedtime routine must be a little time-consuming.

- put all lights on, to eliminate possibility of Shadow Men
- put all lights off, to avoid drawing the attention on aliens/Greys
- open all curtains so as to watch for approach of aliens/Greys
- put away all breakables in case of poltergeist attack
- make cocoa, fill hot water bottle
- go upstairs, check under bed for aliens/Greys
- close all curtains to eliminate risk of catching eye of Window Peeper
- get in bed, switch on loud funky music, attempt to fall asleep while horizontally disco-dancing to avoid sleep paralysis

:lol:

Well, it seems to work so far. I remain un-hassled by any of the aforementioned paranormal nasties.

(Oh, and quit watching me! ;) )

Back