• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It Happened To My Niece

Rushfan62

Abominable Snowman
Ok. I'll tell this as it was told to me by my brother, who was told it by his daughter. My niece.

My niece works in a dental surgery, where she is training as a dental nurse. On more than one occasion, she has been questioned as to how she got downstairs / upstairs / from another room so fast, with other staff members convinced they'd seen her in locations other than where she was . In the latest example, the dental surgeon himself asked why she'd gone upstairs when she answered from behind him, "I haven't, I'm here".

Completely unrelated to this, a member of staff went to visit a medium, with regard to personal issues. (I know, mediums....).

At the end, the medium told her there was a spirit to which she had an attachment, but it was at her place of work.

The staff member then related to the medium , the stories of a figure being seen, mainly upstairs at work. The medium told her, "No, it's in the basement". The staff member said "There isn't a basement"

When she told this to the Dentist, who lives on site of the surgery, a large Victorian town house, he arranged some exploration. The surgery is undergoing some renovation anyway so it was no issue to rip up some flooring in an unused cupboard at the back of a room, and guess what they found? A small hatch with stairs leading down! Sounds corny I know, but there you have it.

Absolutely fantastic, and exactly the sort of weirdness I love most. :loveu:

One hopes the basement was at least cursorily explored. You know I'd've been down there faster than a scared rat. :cool:

Well, I might've sent @titch. :wink2:

Have to ask, why do the dental staff think your niece is upstairs or wherever from where they are?

On the subject of unsuspected shop basements: once they're closed off and the place changes hands they might be soon forgotten.

Some of the oldest buildings in our town centre have cellars which are believed by some to join onto the ones under the Victorian theatre behind them. When one of the shops was being renovated I took photos showing the cellar entrance which I believe was soon boarded over.

Someone who used to work there said the cellar entrance was actually in the opposite corner. So what did I photograph?

When rifling through the local newspaper microfiche a few years ago I found mention of a secret tunnel that was unearthed during maintenance in a pub cellar a few miles away.

The area was opened up and made safe for some distance and is now in regular use, possibly as extra drinking space.

Where the tunnel led to has never been made clear as only a short distance was safe to negotiate and it had never been known of in living memory; whereas now, few will remember its rediscovery.

The dentist did make a cursory visit into the cellar, simply stating it was empty .

Other staff members keep seeing a figure which they took to be my niece but she was elsewhere and hadn't been in the room she was supposedly been seen in. On one occasion, it was mentioned the figure was in black and my niece was the only one wearing black.

Absolutely fantastic, and exactly the sort of weirdness I love most. :loveu:

One hopes the basement was at least cursorily explored. You know I'd've been down there faster than a scared rat. :cool:

Well, I might've sent @titch. :wink2:

Have to ask, why do the dental staff think your niece is upstairs or wherever from where they are?

On the subject of unsuspected shop basements: once they're closed off and the place changes hands they might be soon forgotten.

Some of the oldest buildings in our town centre have cellars which are believed by some to join onto the ones under the Victorian theatre behind them. When one of the shops was being renovated I took photos showing the cellar entrance which I believe was soon boarded over.

Someone who used to work there said the cellar entrance was actually in the opposite corner. So what did I photograph?

When rifling through the local newspaper microfiche a few years ago I found mention of a secret tunnel that was unearthed during maintenance in a pub cellar a few miles away.

The area was opened up and made safe for some distance and is now in regular use, possibly as extra drinking space.

Where the tunnel led to has never been made clear as only a short distance was safe to negotiate and it had never been known of in living memory; whereas now, few will remember its rediscovery.
I worked on a conversion of an old manor house once and leading off the main cellars there were a couple of hatches leading into more space beneath the building which was about 3- 4 feet high. This was criss-crossed with holding walls which were ventilated with uniform gaps in the bricks and on which the main floor joists rested.
We were running new services under the building and parts had probably never been seen since the days it was first built, we had to chop out holes in the walls to gain access to various area's.
It was obviously very dusty and cobwebby and because it was quite extensive we had to move lights with us. The hatches led to long-ish corridors from which we chopped out access to the other parts and once, when I was working with my nephew, I crawled into one of the side holes and waited for him to enter the corridor. As it was straight we only had a light towards the end so it was pretty dark in the first part and as he slowly moved past I reached out through one of the gaps in the brick and grabbed his arm. I reckon he jumped so much he almost pushed his way up through the floorboards!

"You call that scary? This is scary!" (waves giant badge of Northernism in the direction of the supernatural)
Sorry missed the responses on this thread. Exactly what my mother ( a true Northerner) did on seeing the ghost of the little girl in neighbour's house. "We don't want you here" which prompted the girl to disappear. I've always thought it was a touch harsh.

And then telling it that ghosts don't exist and it better shove off.
Nah, a true northerner would be saying 'So you're a ghost are ya? You gonna scare me then?' :wink2:
My friend was living in Congleton (before he bought his canal boat) and his wife and son kept telling him the house was haunted. ''Is it b******s'' was his usual reply.

One day he came in, and as he was hanging his coat up at the bottom of the stairs he saw 'his son' up on the landing and said ''Hello''. There was no reply so he said ''oi, I'm talking to you you ignorant b'stard'' at which point the front door opened and his wife and son walked in.

My friend was living in Congleton (before he bought his canal boat) and his wife and son kept telling him the house was haunted. ''Is it b******s'' was his usual reply.

One day he came in, and as he was hanging his coat up at the bottom of the stairs he saw 'his son' up on the landing and said ''Hello''. There was no reply so he said ''oi, I'm talking to you you ignorant b'stard'' at which point the front door opened and his wife and son walked in.
Oooh, where in Congleton? :)

Techy's from there. He and some friends investigated an alleged poltergeist in a friend's house. They got nowhere. He scares them off. :chuckle:

I read him the bit about the boy up the stairs and he reckons it was a fetch.

Oooh, where in Congleton? :)

Techy's from there. He and some friends investigated an alleged poltergeist in a friend's house. They got nowhere. He scares them off. :chuckle:

I read him the bit about the boy up the stairs and he reckons it was a fetch.
I know roughly- just off the road that goes to Buxton, on the way out of Congleton, but I'll ask next time I speak to him.
I have no idea what a 'fetch' is.

Back