• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It's Time To Rethink Some Common Assumptions About UFOs

Perhaps. I think you can obviously see it on the witness side in those cases where we know what the stimulus was: eg the controlled hoaxing carried out by David Simpson and Ken Raine at Warminster in 1969 using a balloon and 2.5v bulbs.

A second balloon was launched a while later on the western side of Cradle Hill and it drifted much closer to the watchers than the first balloon. Excitement on the hill was electric and emotional. Telepathic communication was claimed with the light bulb, which was said to be as bright as a searchlight and also to be metallic with portholes.

So up to a point, people can see and experience what they (subconsciously?) want to see or experience. But this doesn't so obviously explain something like Normanton, which is multiple-witness and a bit more complicated than purely lights in the sky.

I think either way there is something archetypal in the imagery of many UFO sightings - it's difficult to say exactly what is prompting it, though.

The thing is, take a sighting almost at random and these various odd features and patterns reveal themselves. As a little experiment I looked at a list of sightings - I used Gary Heseltine's PRUFOS database, since you'd think sightings by on duty police officers would remove some types of hallucination at least - and saw what emerged:

1975, 0010 hours. Location. Cleve Hill near Evesham, Gloucestershire. An on duty uniformed police officer was sent to investigate reports of a stationary light above the police radio masts on the top of Cleve Hill. As he made his way up a narrow road toward the mast he saw a large bright UFO hanging in a stationary position to the right and above the radio masts. His police radio went dead as did his personal radio. He watched the light for a few seconds before it silently moved away from him following the line of a nearby ridge. Getting back into his police vehicle he attempted to pursue the light. At one point the UFO crossed the road on which he was travelling. For reasons he still can’t explain he flashed at the object with his car headlights and immediately the object disappeared out of view at a tremendous speed. Moments later he saw another marked police vehicle and spoke with the officer who corroborated that he had witnessed the UFO shooting across the sky at great speed. On duty sighting. This forms the first in a series of four sightings by the principal officer. UFO CLASSIFICATION – NL/EM/INT (NOCTURNAL LIGHT/ELECTROMAGNETIC EFFECTS/INTERACTION). On Duty sighting. 2 Officers. Source - Confidential (PRUFOS) Database.

So a stationary light in the sky - so far, so astronomical - but then we see a few other familiar sounding things:

- The object is hovering over a radio mast; I always find this interesting, is analogue radio a technology of particular interest to highly advanced aliens?

- The witnesses radios go dead;

- He chases after the object in his car! More absurdity;

- He flashes his headlamps at the object for "reasons he still can’t explain";

- The object disappears at "tremendous speed".

Now it might be possible to put this down to an expectant witness seeing, say, a bright star or planet and panicking. But then, of course, there's a corroborating witness.

And the final flourish is that the witness went on to see three more UFOs - again, a common pattern.

What's going on here?

The neuroscientist Anil Seth reckons that everything we perceive is a hallucination, but sometimes it conforms with something resembling reality.
https://lab.cccb.org/en/anil-seth-reality-is-a-controlled-hallucination/
In order to make himself understood with his characteristic effectiveness, Anil Seth speaks of reality as “controlled hallucination”: “our experiences are the content that the brain predicts from the inside out, anticipating what is in the world, and the information from the senses ties us with what exists in the world in a way that’s useful for our organism”. Therefore, this hallucination is not a false perception or a perception of something that does not exist, but a perception modelled by our body and controlled by the brain, which applies a kind of prior template to give meaning to what we feel. In this way, each new experience is of use to us as we move through the world to which we belong. An example of this controlled hallucination is colours: “we already know that colours don’t exist in nature, but evolution has made us interpret the world in colour because it was more useful for our survival”.

To be more explicit, colours are 'qualia' which only living beings can perceive; the different electromagnetic wavelengths that cause colour-qualia are completely different to the experiences we all know and love as 'colourfulness'.

This can be easily demonstrated by looking at this image, which shows several pinkish spheres which change colour as you alter the stripes behind them, but which do not in fact change.
illusion_colorballs_animation.gif

My opinion is that every UAP or UFO observation (so far) has been a 'controlled hallucination', controlled by our own internal conceptions. Sometimes these hallucinations conform with reality, but sometimes they are distortions, through no fault of our own.

- I used Gary Heseltine's PRUFOS database, since you'd think sightings by on duty police officers would remove some types of hallucination at least - and saw what emerged:
1975, 0010 hours. Location. Cleve Hill near Evesham, Gloucestershire. An on duty uniformed police officer was sent to investigate reports of a stationary light above the police radio masts on the top of Cleve Hill. As he made his way up a narrow road toward the mast he saw a large bright UFO hanging in a stationary position to the right and above the radio masts.
Couple of things here; the hill with the radio masts is Cleeve Hill, which is just outside Cheltenham.

We have already had a UFO report from Cleeve Hill, from member Sid:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/sids-cleeve-hill-sighting.67541/
I suspect that Sid may have seen a radio-ham's DX transceiver kite or balloon, possibly caught in an unexpected storm. Since radio enthusiasts regularly use Cleeve Hill as a launch pad for electronic transmitters of various kinds, then the police back in 1975 may have seen something of that sort.
-------
In any case, police officers seem to be just as prone to misinterpretation as anybody else - probably more so, because they are often called upon to interpret events that other people can safely ignore and forget about.

Last edited:
In any case, police officers seem to be just as prone to misinterpretation as anybody else - probably more so, because they are often called upon to interpret events that other people can safely ignore and forget about

Quite, though my point with the on-duty sightings is that we can hopefully rule out alcohol or recreational drugs. What does seem to be the case is that police sightings follow broadly the same typology as UFO sightings in general and show the same elements: car chases, incomprehensible witness reactions, radios failing or seeming to fail, etc.

Just my opinion, and there is no way to prove, but people have to be born with a certain predisposition.

I was born with a science curiosity and not afraid to think about the “ what if possibly “.

I have known people who were A type personality with no imagination, no interest in science, and definitely would not change their routine.

These people would never witness or be interested in an UFO event, and would never look into the sky.

...my point with the on-duty sightings is that we can hopefully rule out alcohol or recreational drugs.
Hmm. I didn't have much to do with police officers in the 1970s, but some of them seem to have been fairly well acquainted with both alcohol and drugs in that period, before workplace testing.

However, intoxication rarely seems to be a factor in UFO reports, as far as I can see.

Looking again at the Normanton sighting, I think it points to the fact that the reason the UFO appeared there, particularly, is that it was where the witnesses were. In other words the sighting is 'aimed' at the witnesses quite particularly by some intelligence. The presence of water or anything else may be a red herring; the main thing was to be seen (and upon being seen depart again).

This is a common pattern. Michael Swords talked about a sighting by an astronomer of a red light that moved over her head in a zig-zag path, quite clearly stopping at places where it occluded certain specific 'significant' stars. But to appear to stop exactly 'over' these stars the UFO, or any postulated intelligence controlling it, would have to have only a few hundred square feet of the earth's surface in mind - in other words the sighting was unambiguously and specifically intended for the witness. I think this is one thing that does seem to make sense in many cases, among all the other incomprehensible imagery.

The question is where does this intelligence lie; with the witness themselves or somewhere outside them?
We need to remind ourselves that the self-styled UFO researchers of the '50s to present were often very selective about the data they presented to us, the public. There was evidently a huge amount of confirmation bias taking place in that if a UFO researcher believed 'UFOs are solid, structured craft visiting from another planet' then they would both consciously and unconsciously select the details from the event that fitted their paradigm. What we have found when a number of researchers get involved in a case or the researcher is more open-minded are accompanying phenomena including - but not limited to - poltergeist activity, electrical interference anomalous lights (orbs etc), teleportation of farm animals, big black puma-like acts, animal mutilations and 'Bigfoot'-type entities. The Rippertone Farm UFO (Wales, UK 1976-78) events are one great example of this and the 'Skinwalker Ranches' of Utah and Australia another and there are many more.

I quite like Philip Mantle and he has put together an intriguing book on UFO landings in the UK, however did Mantle press that Normanton family for details of any other anomalous goings-on during the same time period as this UFO encounter? My gut instinct tells me there was probably more to it than what we know but alas it is now too late (unless one of the children comes forward).

Just my opinion, and there is no way to prove, but people have to be born with a certain predisposition.

I was born with a science curiosity and not afraid to think about the “ what if possibly “.

I have known people who were A type personality with no imagination, no interest in science, and definitely would not change their routine.

These people would never witness or be interested in an UFO event, and would never look into the sky.
Agreed, this also shows itself when there are multiple witnesses and whilst one witness is adamant what they saw and experienced, another may be unwilling to stare the same as it is simply too far out of their comfort zone. I know a couple who were driving across Salisbury plain in the early hours and witnessed a 'classic' UFO with multiple, rotating coloured lights. She is adamant about what they saw and that there was no obvious earthly explanation whereas he will hesitate and try and change the subject.

Not a new idea I'm sure but I've always wondered whether various phenomena are attempts by some alien race to contact us mentally.

Some sort of generalised message picked up by those who are able to receive it or who are in a receptive state, a fugue state or similar.

If we are not evolved enough or sufficiently like the transmitting species then we may get generalisations that contactees or witnesses interpret in different ways and these may change over time with the message being sent or with our own cultural baggage,

The early contactees message may have been we're not hostile and we come from space, interpreted as Nordics, in Western culture and Mars and Venus as being thought of as likely places.

Here's what we really look like – greys? We want to know about you - medical exams and probing. Try not to **** up your planet – all the environmental, beware of nukes messages.

Maybe some of the messages are meant to mean that they are physically on their way now they know we exist which may lead to all the disclosure revelations.

Some messages may be interpreted as other phenomena, ghosts, non physical cryptids, BVMs, etc. or even mental illness.

Needs more work as a theory and of course we've no idea what the mechanism of mental contact may be so it is answering one unknown with another but the field is full of unknowns anyway:)

Another thought: when observed, UFOs are always considered to be one single object but in actual fact there is little firm evidence to support this assumption, especially when the object is brightly lit with multiple lights phasing in and out. What if it were instead a collection of independent Von Neumann-esque smaller, self-replicating probes swarming together? Perhaps this is how they would exchange information or coordinate their next tasks using some sort of AI hive intelligence. Thus, UFOs that vanish are in fact the probes dispering in an instant. In fact, the flight characteristics of airborne UFOs have often been likened to hoverflies i.e. the ability to stay stationary and then move position in an instant.

I know a couple who were driving across Salisbury plain in the early hours and witnessed a 'classic' UFO with multiple, rotating coloured lights. She is adamant about what they saw and that there was no obvious earthly explanation whereas he will hesitate and try and change the subject.
Which one was driving? If she was the passenger, she'd have had a better view than him - because he would have been concentrating on the road. Also, he may be the kind of person who can't easily take on board new ideas.

Which one was driving? If she was the passenger, she'd have had a better view than him - because he would have been concentrating on the road. Also, he may be the kind of person who can't easily take on board new ideas.
Yes, he was driving and she drew his attention to it. As the road was very quiet they were able to slow down for a good look but then it was lost from sight (possibly behind a hill or trees).

Regarding how ETs could view us... I often find myself observing ants, ( other insects are available) - they are complex, have an interactive society, are very organised, arguably have a class system, build what could be defined as towns and even cities, cultivate crops ( fungus etc) and even “ farm” other insects... and yet, they have absolutely no idea or comprehension that a creature like me is observing them, or even if they crawl on me what I actually am.
Maybe, just maybe The Zoo Hypothesis, is a factor with UFOs... and that the close encounters are experimental theatre...
To be fair, we have no idea how ants perceive us. They may know perfectly well what we are or that we are watching them.

The neuroscientist Anil Seth reckons that everything we perceive is a hallucination, but sometimes it conforms with something resembling reality.
https://lab.cccb.org/en/anil-seth-reality-is-a-controlled-hallucination/

To be more explicit, colours are 'qualia' which only living beings can perceive; the different electromagnetic wavelengths that cause colour-qualia are completely different to the experiences we all know and love as 'colourfulness'.

This can be easily demonstrated by looking at this image, which shows several pinkish spheres which change colour as you alter the stripes behind them, but which do not in fact change.
illusion_colorballs_animation.gif

My opinion is that every UAP or UFO observation (so far) has been a 'controlled hallucination', controlled by our own internal conceptions. Sometimes these hallucinations conform with reality, but sometimes they are distortions, through no fault of our own.
So how can 2 or more people observe the same 'controlled hallucination' ?

Because these hallucinations are often prompted by events and other stimuli in the real world, people often experience very similar qualia- indeed the whole process of evolution works to make our responses to stimuli useful and competent. However, when we see something outside of our previous experience, these hallucinations may lose definition and 'control'.

Sometimes groups of observers can gain 'control' over their perceptions of an unknown event by comparing notes and talking to each other - this sometimes allows very complex misperceptions to take shape.

Because these hallucinations are often prompted by events and other stimuli in the real world, people often experience very similar qualia- indeed the whole process of evolution works to make our responses to stimuli useful and competent. However, when we see something outside of our previous experience, these hallucinations may lose definition and 'control'.

Sometimes groups of observers can gain 'control' over their perceptions of an unknown event by comparing notes and talking to each other - this sometimes allows very complex misperceptions to take shape.
"Ah!" But who's to say what a person, or groups of people are interpreting as a misperception?

If Anil Seth is correct, then our perceptions of external events will be subject to evolution, like everything else about the human experience. Over time the most useful experiences will become more accurate and closer to reality.

But if some events remain impossible to resolve into useful data, they can remain hallucinatory and potentially deceptive.

If Anil Seth is correct, then our perceptions of external events will be subject to evolution, like everything else about the human experience. Over time the most useful experiences will become more accurate and closer to reality.

But if some events remain impossible to resolve into useful data, they can remain hallucinatory and potentially deceptive.
Or absolutely true?

Last edited:

So Life's an illusion, love is a dream but I don't know what it is ?

We need to remind ourselves that the self-styled UFO researchers of the '50s to present were often very selective about the data they presented to us, the public. There was evidently a huge amount of confirmation bias taking place in that if a UFO researcher believed 'UFOs are solid, structured craft visiting from another planet' then they would both consciously and unconsciously select the details from the event that fitted their paradigm. What we have found when a number of researchers get involved in a case or the researcher is more open-minded are accompanying phenomena including - but not limited to - poltergeist activity, electrical interference anomalous lights (orbs etc), teleportation of farm animals, big black puma-like acts, animal mutilations and 'Bigfoot'-type entities. The Rippertone Farm UFO (Wales, UK 1976-78) events are one great example of this and the 'Skinwalker Ranches' of Utah and Australia another and there are many more.

I quite like Philip Mantle and he has put together an intriguing book on UFO landings in the UK, however did Mantle press that Normanton family for details of any other anomalous goings-on during the same time period as this UFO encounter? My gut instinct tells me there was probably more to it than what we know but alas it is now too late (unless one of the children comes forward).

He did speak to a couple of the children as recently as 2019, I'm not aware that any additional experiences were reported (though they did confirm that they stuck by their 1980s accounts).

It wouldn't surprise me if some more High Strangeness stuff emerged; even Father Gill reported strange bangs on the roof of the Mission House on the night of his sighting.

He did speak to a couple of the children as recently as 2019, I'm not aware that any additional experiences were reported (though they did confirm that they stuck by their 1980s accounts).

It wouldn't surprise me if some more High Strangeness stuff emerged; even Father Gill reported strange bangs on the roof of the Mission House on the night of his sighting.
Thanks! Thing is, he is a true ETH adherent, essentially if you can't provide a rational explanation then it must be extraterrestrials visiting in their nuts-and-bolts craft (still a good book though), and I doubt he would have pressed them for any other goings-on at the time

Astronaut turned Senator, Mark Kelly, tells news media that he goes by what Carl Sagan said “ extraordinary claims needs extraordinary evidence “.

I thought he would have a better answer regarding UFOs.

Back