• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Japanese Capsule Hotels

achocolyptic said:
theyithian said:
They're not just for loving, although that is the primary purpose.

Stupid question - what do people use them for, if not for nookie? Just as places to stay? (I was under the impression that they were really expensive, so wouldn't be good places to use as stop-overs.) Wouldn't it be really sad to be in a love hotel, all by yourself? :(

Nope. They're frequently cheaper than normal hotels and usually don't take much in the way of prior-reservations, so you can often find a room at zero notice.

Ah - those are within the hotel, Max. Not on street-corners.

I've been in European hotels that had beer, sandwiches, shirts, ties, toothpaste, shoe-polish etc in lobby vending machines. Can lead to diverting mix-ups when drunk :).

theyithian said:
Nope. They're frequently cheaper than normal hotels and usually don't take much in the way of prior-reservations so you can often find a room at zero notice.

Hey, cool. I assumed that, as 'novelty' places, they'd ramp up their pricing.

MaxMolyneux said:

They seem really cosy from the inside, but from the outside, I can never get over how much they look like mortuary fridges. Eeeek.

Still, I kind of hope that they eventually catch on in the UK. It'd be really nice if there were some within airports for super-cheap, short-term accommodation. (Beats sleeping in the airport lounge.)

There were plenty of beer machines around where I lived.

Still, I kind of hope that they eventually catch on in the UK. It'd be really nice if there were some within airports for super-cheap, short-term accommodation. (Beats sleeping in the airport lounge.)

Look up Yotel.

lemonpie3 said:
There were plenty of beer machines around where I lived.
See? that's how wrong I was. I was even incorrect about how wrong I could be, and that's saying something.

I'd really like go to Japan to see for myself :).

tamyu said:
Also - What noodles?!? You too have fallen for the stereotypes! And the beer machines - another favorite of foreign travelogues... Despite the fact that they`re not all that common at all.

We visited Japan last year and were disappointed by the fact that there weren't exotic vending machines everywhere. (One selling plastic toys at a station was the best we found). But there are hot & cold drinks vending machines on virtually every corner which are never, ever vandalised, which was equally mind-boggling.

When we got back everyone kept asking if we had to eat sushi, which is like assuming the Brits never eat anything except roast beef.

But I bet foreigners get exactly the same sort of 'quaint and quirky' news stories in reverse, and believe that we spend all our time rolling cheeses, clog dancing, swan upping and warming our beer.

"You come from London - isn't that very foggy?"

er, no...

MaxMolyneux said:
I didn't say Beer machines were on the street Mr Neville. :no-no:
No, you didn't, did you? See, I was being wrong again. I like to keep all my obvious wrongness on one thread, saves me be overly wrong elsewhere then.
The Yotels seem more appropriate and roomy though.

http://www.psfk.com/files/yotel.jpg
Roomy, yes, what with being an actual room and all - as for appropriate, depends what you mean, really.

Back