• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Japanese scientists create heaviest ever element

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Japanese scientists create heaviest ever element

Japanese scientists said Tuesday they have created a new element that is heavier than any known element, the most significant in the field since the heaviest known element was discovered in Germany in 1996.

If confirmed, the new element, whose atomic number is 113, will be the first manmade element created by Japanese, according to Kosuke Morita and his team at Japan's physical and chemical research institute.

The team would have the right to name the superheavy element in the periodic table, and "japonium" is a candidate name, Morita said.

The heaviest element existing in nature is uranium whose atomic number is 92. All heavier elements have been produced artificially by scientists and numbered according to how many protons are in their nuclei. From 1940 to 1996, elements numbered up to 112 were created.

Russian scientists said in February they had created elements 113 and 115, but the discovery remains to be confirmed internationally.

The Japanese team has long tried to create element 113 by using a cyclotron to bombard the atoms of bismuth, numbered 83, with those of zinc, numbered 30.

On July 23 after the cyclotron bombarded a bismuth atom target with 2.5 trillion zinc atoms per second for 80 days, the scientist said, the team found the new element, which disintegrated in only 0.3 millisecond.

The element's atomic mass number is 278, meaning its nucleus has 113 protons and 165 neutrons, he added.

http://english.people.com.cn/200409/29/eng20040929_158677.html

That must be the stuff that jumps into my pockets every January, when I step on the scales and swear. ;)

Are they getting much closer to the hypothesised "islands of stability"? I can't remember what the predicted atomic numbers were.

Isnt 114 the fabled Bob Lazar unobtanium UFO power source?

Hardly the heaviest

for heavier still (Element 116) see here

Experiments resulting in the formation of element 115 were reported in February 2004 following experiments carried out between 14 July - 10 August 2003 involving scientists at Dubna (Joint Institute for Nuclear Research at the U400 cyclotron with the Dubna gas-filled recoil separator, DGFRS) in Russia in a collaboration also involving scientists at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, USA. In these experiments, the primary product were four nuclei of element 115 isotopes. All these four nuclei decayed through the emisson of a-particles to isotopes of element 113. The claim has not yet been ratified, but the results are now published in a reputable peer-reviewed journal.

So not only is it not the highest Atomic Number they wern't the first to discover it.

MaxReebosRoadie said:
Isnt 114 the fabled Bob Lazar unobtanium UFO power source?

I think it's 115, which Russian scientists claim to have created.
We just need loads of this stuff now...

Back