• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jewish Archaeological Magazine

Sertile

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This probably shouldn't be here, but I just have a simple question, and I don't exactly consider it Fortean Culture or Earth Mysteries. I ran across this popular-type archaeology magazine in a Barnes and Noble book store several years ago (probably around 98 or 99) that had a large cover story on a cache of Roman-era Hebrew artifacts found in America (I'm thinking it was either Kentucky or Tennesee). These were extensive photographs and documentation. However, I didn't buy it (like an idiot) and I never heard of it again. I don't even know what magazine it was, exactly. Can anyone help?

Yep, that was it. I went to the Ancient American website (crude as it may be) and found the one I was thinking of in their back issues.

http://www.ancientamerican.com/issue30.htm

So then, is Ancient American like Pravda or the Weekly World News and just not trustworthy AT ALL or what? I haven't actually read more than a couple myself, and I never gave it much thought. What do you people think the credibility level is with a publication like this?

It's not that things like this are unreliable as such, but like it indicates on the site, they're working outside of conventional historical beliefs about American history.

As far as I'm concerned, it would come as no surprise if some extremely old artefacts were found on the US mainland which were apparently from before America was 'discovered'. There have been many advanced seafaring nations since time immemorial (not in the legal sense.. I'm talking xBC), and it's not unreasonable to assume that some would have found their way to the American mainland. OK, it might not all be documented, but when was the last time you saw reams and reams of ancient documents charting the beginning and development of Inuit culture for instance.. or where are the original writings of the Red Indian peoples detailing their origins in historial detail.. and absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

What we do know is that Prince Madoc discovered America before Columbus. So there. Cymru am byth! :)

I like Barry Fell's books America BC and Saga America.

Human history is the history of people moving about, finding new homes for whatever reasons. There urge to see what lies beyond the next hill is a strong one in us. I think it's pointless to talk about "original inhabitants" since everyone seems to have displaced someone else. Various Native American tribes have stories about The People Who Came Before. That is, they people they displaced when they moved into whatever regions.

For an interesting overview of evidence, look at Williams Corliss's Sourcebooks.

Back