• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Joe Meek's Seacrest Tapes

MrRING

Android Futureman
Joe Meek's Teacrest Tapes

Have these mysterious tapes ever seen the light of day, or is it just hype from Meek-ologists?

And has anybody ever heard any of his ghost recordings? I know he recorded in graveyards hoping to capture a bit of ghost sound here and there, and one of his released songs he thought had a spirit speaking at the end.

edit: actually, they are called the Teacrest tapes...

Apparently he did a lot of recordings in the graveyard of a church in Basildon, Essex. I remember watching a documentary where they played an extract of one of his tapes where he had found a cat lurking behind a grave stone. He convinced himself that the cat was saying 'hello' to him and he got very excited, to me the cat was just mewing.

The whole Joe Meek thing is fortean throughout from the killing of his landlady and his own death through to his music,. I used to have a copy of his 'I hear a new world' and that was plain wierd.

I have "I Hear a New World" on CD, and it is weird, with all those extraterrestrial Pinky and Perky voices singing away. The second half is an "interview" with Joe Meek, which is strangely creepy.

Joe Meek is known as being the greatest loser in the world of music producing. After all, he heard and rejected The Beatles, Rod Stewart, David Bowie and Tom Jones.

He is given a chapter in THE BIG BOOK OF LOSERS. They seem to think that a lot of his auditions were nothing more than his homosexual trollings.

Interestingly, his murder/suicide occurred on the 8th anniversary of Buddy Holly's death, one of Meek's idols.

I remember an interview with 'Screaming' Lord Sutch who was quite put out that being an 'ugly sod' as he called himself, Joe Meek never tried it on with him.

I'm sure you are all aware of Meek being at a seance and there was a predition of Buddy Holly's death. He and his friends tried to call in vain to stop the flight, but were told later everything was fine.

But apparently he had the day right, but the wrong year. Exactly a year later, Buddy Holly died in a plane crash.

A great overall faq about Meek:

http://www.concentric.net/~meekweb/faqtoc.htm

and what iit says about the studio being haunted:

Was Holloway Road haunted?

According to the most recent occupants of Joe's former studio there have been no supernatural occurrences of late. And while the violent, emotionally charged deaths of Joe and Mrs. Violet Shenton could well be expected to provide a certain amount of paranormal disturbances to the rooms, the best documented sightings may have come from Joe himself while he was still alive.
Perhaps it was due to all the seances and mystical (some say Black Magical) rituals Joe &Co. performed there, or perhaps there had been some previous events in the buildings history that left their otherworldly imprint, whatever the cause the effects nearly drove Joe insane. Whether it was the furniture dancing downstairs or the invisible voices that sometimes tried to advise him, or the clumsy spirits that tripped around his bed, Joe was convinced 304 Holloway Road was host to forces not of this world.

And has anybody ever seen his haunted painting, "The Girl With The Crying Eyes"? Meek thought it could speak to him...

Back