John Carpenter

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
This is a very early interview. He certainly changed his mind on messages.

I watched Christine (1983) last week, holds up well. It's not shown as much as John Carpenter's other films. Pity, it has some great scenes, especially when Arnie "makes a pact" with the car and it self-repairs all of the damage. I must check out the Stephen King novel it's based on.

He hasn't made a film in a long while, apart from The Ward which wasn't a bad timepasser, but when you know what he used to be capable of...
Watched The Ward last night.

The Ward (2010): North Bend Psychiatric hospital has problems, a killer stalks the corridors of it's locked ward (which is very much The Ward), we see poor Tammy being killed. Cut to daylight in the woods, Kristen is running in a panic, she sets fire to an old farmhouse and police bring her to North Bend. She meets other patients in their late teens in The Ward, all suffering from differing psychiatric disorders. Kristen is assigned to Tammy's room but there is no mention of what happened to the missing girl. The staff are rather creepy, most of them straight out of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and when Kristen proves rebellious she is subjected to electroshock treatment. The dynamic between the patients also owes a lot to OFOTCN but also bears some relationship to Girl Interrupted. This is very much a Horror Film though, girls disappear and the staff are in denial, the ghost of a previous patient may be the killer. Some gruesome/disturbing scenes with a few jump scares and interesting twists. Not one of Director John Carpenter's best films but working from a script by the Rasmussen Brothers he delivers an enjoyable horror movie. 6.5/10.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I watched Christine (1983) last week, holds up well. It's not shown as much as John Carpenter's other films. Pity, it has some great scenes, especially when Arnie "makes a pact" with the car and it self-repairs all of the damage. I must check out the Stephen King novel it's based on.
I haven't really read King since i was a teenager, do recall the novel of Christine having a very different slant on it than the film, deffo worth a read if you can face it... I just can;t get on with King these days.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
I read it years ago and remember thinking it was a very small story in a very big book - like a lot of King's work there was an awful lot of padding.

I haven't really read King since i was a teenager, do recall the novel of Christine having a very different slant on it than the film, deffo worth a read if you can face it... I just can;t get on with King these days.
I read it years ago and remember thinking it was a very small story in a very big book - like a lot of King's work there was an awful lot of padding.

Dr Sleep is a pretty good novel and isn't overwritten.

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
Same problem as with other super successful popular authors - he decided he was too good to need an editor. Clancy was another one. Hunt for Red October was good, after that longer and longer. And less interesting.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Not true - King has had excellent editors who he always credits. Without them his books would be 2000 pages long most of the time.