• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

John Wesley's Chair at the New Rooms, Bristol

Lottee

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Many years ago (ok, probably 15) when I was a child I was taken to see John Wesley's (founder of Methodism) New Rooms and chapel in Broadmead in Bristol. My family is from Bristol and presumably I was out shopping with my mother and grandma when they thought it would be something nice to do for a change. I also remember I did a project on John Wesley in junior school (that could have been before or after, not sure).

Anyway... looking round the rooms, all was pretty normal and boring, except in one room there was this chair. THIS CHAIR, to be exact:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/im ... ry.shtml?6 (go to picture number 6). As soon as I saw it I felt incredibly uncomfortable and I simply felt that it was an evil chair. I couldn't wait to get out of the room so that I could feel normal again. As far as I can remember, my mother didn't like it either.

As I got older I wondered even more at this incident, questioning why a chair that belonged to such a religious man should emit such an evil aura.

After all this time I still remember that feeling and recently the idea popped into my head that I should go back and see if it still had the same effect on me. So... next time I am in Broadmead I will go back in there and let you all know how it makes me feel.

Is there anyone out there who feels inclined to research the chair and its origins/history? all it says on the website is that it is made out of a single piece of oak. For anyone who couldn't see the picture it is a high-backed chair with a black leather seat and back rest. The main body of the chair is made out of dark varnished wood which is all gnarled and twisted. I can't even look at the picture for very long and I am glad I decided to write this during the day on a sunny afternoon, cos to be honest, I just feel scared whenever I look at the photo, just like I did when I was in the same room as it.

I think that's all. By the way as far as I know I have no psychic ability and nothing much else fortean has ever happened to me (apart from praying to Aphrodite a few years ago and then subsequently hooking up with my husband).

Oh, I know!! - anyone in the Bristol are should go and see it - admission is free.

I don't know about scary, but it doesn't look very comfortable.

Ok, haven't looked at the pic, don't want to get spooked! :p
I noticed that you said the chair is made from oak. That could be an interesting route to go down. There's a lot of folk lore surrounding trees, I know oak has lots, but not sure what! Helpful aren't I? ;) I just thought that might have something to do with it?
Welcome to the boards anyway. :)

With all that blackness and ornate carving I can see how a chil might be frightened by it. It looks as if it might swallow you up, or envelop you if you sat in it . . . :shock:

wow that is a f- freaky chair. i have a pretty high tolerance for these kind of things, but something about that chair is downright... evil and wrong.

chair_350x470.jpg

It is pretty freaky. I've seen it a few times, but in context, within Wesley's preserved apartment, it's even more sombre. The whole place is quite unnervingly quiet, despite being in the middle of a massive shopping centre, and has a sparse, gloomy austerity that perhaps you'd expect given its primary inhabitant.

Actually, Wesley did have a somewhat Fortean outlook.
...Each must judge for himself-or must suspend judgment-and the verdict will depend partly on the evidence, partly on our knowledge or ignorance of similar cases, and partly on our emotional bias if we have any. Anyhow, as John Wesley quaintly says, no great harm will be done "provided those who believe and those who disbelieve . . . have but patience with each other.
(source)

Also, his father's Rectory, Epworth, was the scene of a well documented poltergeist event, which now has it's own thread here.

Blimey! cheers, guys, at least I'm not on my own with this one.

(I've been reading posts on this site for about a year now but only just registered properly to make my own posts, so thanks for the welcome, too!)

Remember the chair's varnish has darkened a lot over the years - when it was first made the surface would have been a nice blonde colour and looked like this:
Oak_Burl_Euro_Hvy.jpg

Odd looking but hardly sinister.

I think its' a perfectly lovely old chair with lots of history and atmosphere and I love it!!!

You're not allowed to sit on it though, which is a slight shame.

well I can see how a chair like that could unnerve a child...it's apperance coupled with the quiet old 'dead mans house' certainly a scarey combination. To my eyes it looks rather cool and interesting

Oooh! I've lived in Bristol for 24 years and I've never been in there. I might have a look on the way home from work tomorrow!

a giant hand?

Chair looks like a giant hand to me: fingers on top, palm where the seat is. That would unnerve almost anyone.

Back