• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

JUCHE: The Religion you have probably never heard of that is larger than Judaism.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
While I expect that the Fortean Times forum audience is better informed about "matters fringe" than nearly everybody, I have posted this little tidbit in case someone has overlooked this totalitarian religious anomaly.

Juche is the official religion of North Korea. Here are a few links to help you become better acquainted with the tenth largest religion in the world:

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juche

Remember of course that all religions are, by definition, ideologies, despite the fact that Antoine Destutt de Tracy, who invented the term "ideology" would not have wanted the definition to extend to religion.
http://www.korea-dpr.com/juche_ideology.html

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-is-the-juche-ideology-of-north-korea.html

I've heard of Juche, of course, but to what extent can it be accurately described as a 'religion'? I am interested in where these things overlap, as we have examples of political groups that operate more or less indistinguishably from 'cults'.

Juche is not conceivably a religion--it's pseudo-communistic autarky.

By the way, in case you are making a common mental error, it is pronounced Joo-Chay.

Juche is not conceivably a religion--it's pseudo-communistic autarky.

By the way, in case you are making a common mental error, it is pronounced Joo-Chay.

As opposed to rhyming with "douche" yes.

As to Juche being a religion, I have a low opinion of religions, so I am happy to class what is essentially an irrational and superstitious personality cult with a veil of philosophy as a religion. Is it somehow less of a religion than scientology? Remember that Juche has 18 million adherents.

I'm certainly no expert on meanings and definitions but I have always thought that to be classified as religion it has to have some spiritual ,divine, god worship, or sacred theme to be called religion....does any of that exist in Juche...?
I can see Juche as an ideology, philosophy, or political movement...but a religion...?
Same thing for Scientology for me.

I'm certainly no expert on meanings and definitions but I have always thought that to be classified as religion it has to have some spiritual ,divine, god worship, or sacred theme to be called religion....does any of that exist in Juche...?
I can see Juche as an ideology, philosophy, or political movement...but a religion...?
Same thing for Scientology for me.
Certainly Kim Il-Sung has a very religious 'origin myth'.

Legend has it that a double rainbow and a glowing new star appeared in the heavens to herald the birth of Kim Jong Il, in 1942, on North Korea's cherished Baekdu Mountain. Soviet records, however, indicate he was born in the Siberian village of Vyatskoye, in 1941. The people of North Korea, many of whom are reportedly battling famine, are apparently told that Kim's birthday is celebrated throughout the world.

I'm certainly no expert on meanings and definitions but I have always thought that to be classified as religion it has to have some spiritual ,divine, god worship,

I think the Personality Cult surrounding Kim Il Sung and his "Juche" teachings borders on the religious.

According to official biographies, Kim Il-sung came from a long lineage of leaders and official North Korean modern history focuses on his life and activities. He is credited with almost single-handedly defeating the Japanese at the end of the occupation of Korea (ignoring Soviet and American efforts) and with rebuilding the nation after the Korean War. Over the course of his life he was granted many titles of esteem such as "Sun", "Great Chairman", "Heavenly Leader" and others, as well as awards like the "Double Hero Gold Medal".

And photos like this speak volumes:
16itgdv.png

His son naturally had to go one better, and attributed himself with some supernatural powers:

Even before his birth, the future leader of North Korea was triggering miracles. Official biographers say his birth in a cabin on the slopes of Baekdu Mountain in February 1942 was foretold by a swallow and heralded by a double rainbow. When he was born, a new star appeared in the night sky.

Kim has the ability to alter the weather simply through the power of thought.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Kim-Jong-il-and-his-Amazing-Achievements.html

So you can pick if this a religion or not. But I doubt many would follow it voluntarily, given a choice.

You don't need gods to have a religion, it's more a set of beliefs, texts, myths and legends, practices (e.g. rituals, sacrifices, prayers dietary), world view than aim to connect human beings with the transcendent, the other, the powers above (or below). You don't need all of them, some religions only have a few. I think Scientology probably counts a religion as it does have scriptures (even if they do resemble bad pulp science fiction stories), and the 'Science' of Dianetics is effectively a religious ritual dressed up in pseudoscience, which aims to achieving enlightenment (i.e. becoming clear). (Whether L Ron Hubbard believed in it at the start, or whether it was a money-making scam, or it was a bit of both, is another discussion.)

Juche more is more a political philosophy, it doesn't appear to engage with the transcendent. Though there is a bit of personality cult thing going on.

Back