• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Judgement Day: May 21, 2011 (Postponed)

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
'Awesome, it's the end of the world': Doomsday campers travel the country preaching the Apocalypse...on May 21 :shock:
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 7:46 PM on 7th March 2011

Most people like to push thoughts about the end of the world to the back of their minds, hoping that the apocalypse, if it ever comes, will be a long way off.
But for one group of not-so happy campers, doomsday is a lot sooner...May 21 to be precise.
According to the predictions of the Family Radio ministry, on that date a massive earthquake will shake the world apart, littering the ground with 'many dead bodies'.
Those who believe in Jesus will be carried into heaven, while the rest of humanity will endure 153 days of 'death and horror' before the world ends on October 21.

The group of 10 Christians from Oakland have set out across the country in a convoy of caravans to bring the 'awesome' message of impending doom to as many people as possible.
'Project Caravan', as it has become known, is made up of members of the Family Radio network all of who have given up jobs, families and all their possessions to join this final mission.

Calling themselves 'ambassadors', the church members point to baffling biblical codes to demonstrate their reasoning.
Speaking to CNN the group's leader, 89-year-old Harold Camping, is adamant that the date is accurate.
He said: 'I know it's absolutely true, because the Bible is always absolutely true.
'If I were not faithful that would mean that I'm a hypocrite.'
Despite his conviction, Camping has predicted the world would end before - on September 4 1994. :roll:
That, he says, was a mistake, a misreading of the biblical codes used to decipher the exact date of the 'rapture'.
In order to get the warning out in time he fudged his calculations, a mistake he maintains he did not make this time. ;)

According to the Church's website, there are two 'proofs' that May 21 2011 is the judgement day.
According to them, Noah's great flood occurred in the year 4990 B.C., 'exactly' 7000 years ago.
At the time, God said to Noah he had seven days before the flood would begin.
Taking a passage from 2 Peter 3:8, in which it is said a day for God is like a thousand human years, the church reasoned that seven 'days' equals 7000 human years from the time of the flood, making 2011 the year of the apocalypse.

In its second 'proof' the exact date is revealed by working forward from the exact date of the of the crucifixion - April 1, 33 AD.
According to their reasoning, there are exactly 722,500 days from April 1, 33 A.D. until May 21, 2011 - the alleged day of judgement.

This number can be represented as follows: 5 x 10 x 17 x 5 x 10 x 17 = 722,500.
The church then argues that numbers in the bible have special meanings, with the number 5 signifying atonement or redemption, the number 10 signifying 'completeness' and the number 17 equalling heaven.

'Ambassador' Sheila Jonas, another of the Family Radio faithful, spoke of her joy at joining the not-so merry band of travellers.
She said: 'I'm in it until the end. This is so serious, I can't believe I'm here.
She will not however talk about her past because: 'There is no other story. ... we are to warn the people. Nothing else matters.'

Travelling in a convoy of five caravans, the doom-mongers are adamant that Jesus is coming in three months.
And for anyone harbouring doubts over the accuracy of the prediction, the group has a cast iron answer - 'the Bible guarantees it'.
With T-shirts and banners declaring the 'Awesome News' that Judgement Day is coming, the first convoy of five caravans set off in October last year.
They have now been joined by two other convoys, all travelling to different parts of the country spreading their message.

The oldest believer on the convoy, 75-year-old Gallegos from Utah, is similar to the rest of the church members.
In order to join the trip he had to leave behind a wife of 53 years and be away from his 10 children and their families.
Others have left empty houses, sold antiques, disposed of art collections or given up cars and other expensive items to join the road trip of doom.

And as if the end of the world is not bad enough, there is one final bitter pill as we approach the apocalypse.
Apparently no one from Family Radio is sure what to do to guarantee a place in heaven.
God, they say, has already predetermined the roughly two to three percent of those who will be saved come May 21.

Sadly for the rest of us all we can do is wait until the end comes. Again.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1FzvqibwG

Well, at least we don't have to worry about December 2012 any more! :D

Now, I only got a 'O' level (remember them, ahh, the good 'ol days) in maths, and even with a degree in classical studies, (a Desmond is still a degree!) I do still have to think about the difference between an AD date and a BC date. So I might not have thought about this enough yet :oops: but 4990 BC plus 7k years, comes to 2010 AD.

Missed that bus eh?

Edit - It seems I did get the math wrong, having run out of fingers. :oops:

We're all doomed

There's no year zero.

Cultjunky said:
...I do still have to think about the difference between an AD date and a BC date. So I might not have thought about this enough yet :oops: but 4990 BC plus 7k years, comes to 2010 AD.
As Yith says, there's no year zero.

Take a slightly simpler example:
if the flood was in 7 BC , and Doomsday is 10 years later, then Doomsday would be in 4 AD. The ten years after the flood would be 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4.

But it could also depend on interpretation. Because Christians tells us e.g.
Jesus [...] was arrested, was judged a political criminal, and was crucified. Three days after His death and burial, some women who went to His tomb found the body gone.

http://www.leaderu.com/everystudent/eas ... josh2.html
And yet he was crucified on Friday and rose alive on Sunday, which is only two days later! (Friday, Saturday, Sunday are three days, but Sunday is the second day after Friday, not the third.)

So if the 7,000 years includes the year 4990 BC, then Cult junky is right, and Doomsday should have been in 2010.

It depends which counting convention you use. ;)

rynner2 said:
Three days after His death and burial, some women who went to His tomb found the body gone

Usually interpreted as on the third day rather than after three days.

(Not to take us completely off topic, I hope.)

See, I can never decide if I should include year 0, or not. I'm sure there's a mnemonic or something to help me remember but...

Anyho, it's possible that Harold Camper is a fair few K years out too

http://www.answersingenesis.org/article ... oahs-flood

The Biblical data places the Flood at 2304 BC +/- 11 years.
This date is, as expected, in conflict with secular archaeology which regards the Flood as either local or a myth and the Biblical chronologies as irrelevant or inaccurate.

theyithian said:
There's no year zero.

It hadn't been invented in those days. A bit like all the sailors who went over the edge of the world before it was discovered that it was round.

Re: Yet another Doomsday...

rynner2 said:
The group of 10 Christians from Oakland have set out across the country in a convoy of caravans to bring the 'awesome' message of impending doom to as many people as possible.

I read just a few days ago that the caravan has 15 vehicles. How did they do that with 10 people?

Now that's math!

PS. I've heard of Harold Camping before and I'm going to have to Google and find out where.

I just realized that I'm using "caravan" in its North American and original Asiatic sense rather that its more modern British sense.

But that still puts 10 people into 15 vehicles.

Perhaps some of the vehicles are being towed?

Or it could be the same miraculous mathematics that fed 5000 people with a few loaves and fish...

The indie catches the story:

US preacher warns end of the world is nigh: 21 May, around 6pm, to be precise

Every day Mr Camping, an 89-year-old former civil engineer, speaks to his followers via the Family Radio Network, a religious broadcasting organisation funded entirely by donations from listeners. Such is their generosity (assets total $120m) that his network now owns 66 stations in the US alone.

Those deep pockets were raided to allow Family Radio to launch a high-profile advertising campaign, proclaiming the approaching Day of Judgement. More than 2,000 billboards across the US are adorned with its slogans, which include "Blow the trumpet, warn the people!". A fleet of logoed camper vans is touring every state in the nation. "It's getting real close. It's really getting pretty awesome, when you think about it," Mr Camping told The Independent on Sunday. "We're not talking about a ball game, or a marriage, or graduating from college. We're talking about the end of the world, a matter of being eternally dead, or being eternally alive, and it's all coming to a head right now."

Mr Camping, who makes programmes in 48 languages, boasts tens of thousands of followers across the globe, with radio stations in South Africa, Russia and Turkey. After 70 years of studying the Bible, he claims to have developed a system that uses mathematics to interpret prophesies hidden in it. He says the world will end on 21 May, because that will be 722,500 days from 1 April AD33, which he believes was the day of the Crucifixion. The figure of 722,500 is important because you get it by multiplying three holy numbers (five, 10 and 17) together twice. "When I found this out, I tell you, it blew my mind," he said.

Recent events, such as earthquakes in Japan, New Zealand and Haiti, are harbingers of impending doom, he says, as are changing social values. "All the stealing, and the lying, and the wickedness and the sexual perversion that is going on in society is telling us something," he says. "So too is the gay pride movement. It was sent by God as a sign of the end."

Mr Camping, who founded Family Radio in the 1950s, grew up a Baptist. Many of his strongly held views – he does not believe in evolution and thinks all abortion should be banned – are relatively commonplace among America's religious right.

Critics point out that this isn't the first time Mr Camping has predicted the second coming. On 6 September 1994, hundreds of his listeners gathered at an auditorium in Alameda looking forward to Christ's return.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 54139.html

Mythopoeika said:
Or it could be the same miraculous mathematics that fed 5000 people with a few loaves and fish...

But wouldn't that put 5000 people into five or six cars? :D

It'll be interesting to see what excuses they come up with when that day passes without any of their 'predictions' coming true... :lol:

Jerry_B said:
It'll be interesting to see what excuses they come up with when that day passes without any of their 'predictions' coming true... :lol:

Based on previous historical experience, it will most-likely be some permutation of:

"We've obviously miscalculated, and apologies for that. But we've now re-calibrated everything and the actual date will certainly be June 21, 2036."

Judgement Day: May 21, 2011

Judgement Day is a week away...

http://www.familyradio.com/index2.html

...because "the Bible guarantees it!"

The Rapture is Upon Us, Again

Hide your kids, hide your wife. Judgement day is upon us… Maybe.

According to Christian radio broadcaster Harold Camping, 89, May 21 marks the day Christ is scheduled to return to earth and cleanse it of its sin (also known as The Ratpure, The Apocalypse, Judgement Day, etc.).

But why May 21, 2011? What is so special about this date?

Camping has told multiple media outlets that he calculated this particular date by using math based on biblical scripture. God said to Noah in Genesis 7:4, “Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.” Indeed, in scripture the flood occurred 7 days after it was first prophesied in 4990 BC. However, the “seven days” can also mean seven thousand years, because “one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.” Thus, seven thousand years later is 2011.

Of course, this isn’t the first mention we’ve heard of the day to end all days. Camping himself had first predicted The Rapture to end all life in 1994, some 17 long and healthy years ago.
http://www.sdentertainer.com/news/may-2 ... d-rapture/

May 21 Judgement Day: It's Not the End of the World, and I Feel Fine

I don't know what its like where you live, but in my neck of the woods -- the San Francisco Bay Area -- we've witnessed a proliferation of billboards announcing: "Cry Mightily Unto God! Judgment Day is Coming on May 21! The Bible Guarantees It!" Apparently someone read the Bible, made a few assumptions, took an illogical leap of faith, did the math and came up with a calculation: Jesus is coming back -- and soon.

This, of course, is nuts. People have been using the Bible to predict the end of the world for as long as there has been a Bible, and they've never been right. The history of the Christian church is filled with stories of great disappointments that occur when communities get hoodwinked into believing the rapture is at hand. True scholars of the Bible know that biblical passages about the End of Days are poetry, not meant to be taken as actual predictions. Not everyone listens to the smart people, however, and so, come May 22, a goodly number of folks will be confused and disappointed to wake up for an ordinary Sunday.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-danie ... 61413.html

Jerry_B said:

Yeh, I look forward to reading about the end of the world in The Sun on May 22. Will be a souvenir edition, one to store where the loft used to be! :lol:

Ha - and I looked for another thread too!

Still, this will all be irrelevant in a weeks time...

21st May? That's my nephew's birthday.
Guess I'll have to tell him not to throw a party then...

Timble2 said:
No need to get a card either...

Too late. I just bought one today.

If the Rapture occurs, he will be one of those disappearing from Earth (him being a tad religious). Uncle Mythopoeika, on the other hand, will be left behind...

21st May ,big piss up at my place ,drink all you can since there will be no need to get home :_pished:

And there won't be all those prissy, holier than thou types to spoil the fun.

This reminds me of a few years ago when members of a certain message board (whose name I forget), discovered another message board devoted to the Rapture and the joys afterwards. The idea was that the bad people of MB1 would join MB2 and poke the good people over there with sticks and laugh at their beliefs. However the mods of MB1 got into a huddle and wearing their "Buddha loves me" tee shirts warned that such action could possibly come back to bite us err... them in the behind.

Anyway, the point is, I stayed a while on the Rapture board to see what tickled them, and the frightening thing was that a lot of them seems rather keen on the end of the world. One woman wrote about her children hearing a car alarm and rushing to find her, excited because they thought the world was ending. It was like talking to people who were suicidal, and wanted their kids to be suicidal with them.

los_grandes_lutz said:
Anyway, the point is, I stayed a while on the Rapture board to see what tickled them, and the frightening thing was that a lot of them seems rather keen on the end of the world. One woman wrote about her children hearing a car alarm and rushing to find her, excited because they thought the world was ending. It was like talking to people who were suicidal, and wanted their kids to be suicidal with them.

What worries me most is that there are some who want to hasten things on a bit by bringing about the end of the world, you know, by doing bad things.
I'm quite happy for the Rapture to take place as long as it doesn't involve me. I'd be OK with being 'one of the meek who inherit the Earth'.

Some see the end of the world as a business opportunity ... :twisted:

The following ad was posted on CraigsList (Seattle), but was removed shortly thereafter:

Yes This Is For Real! -- After the rapture who will take care of your beloved pets? Will they be left staring at an empty food/water bowl? I am a confirmed atheist with respect for other people's beliefs. I am also a great animal lover.

In the last months I have gathered a network of talented and caring people (and atheists as well) who will care for your large or small pets. ("Farm animals" not accepted at this time.) We are from all over the Puget Sound area so there will be someone nearby to take care of your pet that very day. Your pet will live in our homes and become part of the family.

One time fees include initial veterinary visits, all natural food for the life of the pet, and any other services involved in taking your animal in to our homes safely.

*Dogs of all sizes == $200 we reserve the right to raise prices for extremely large dogs
*Cats == $150
*Small furries == $100
*Reptiles == $100
*Birds == $50 - $150 depending on size and level of care
*Fish == $50 and up depending on the size of your tank

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Of course, after the Rapture (if it happens), many atheists may suddenly believe in God. :lol:

Back