• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kidney Damage Resulting From Exercise

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
If these teenage girls had not be treated in a timely fashion the kidney damage could have become permanent, or even fatal.
2 Teens Hospitalized with Kidney Damage After Doing 1,000 Squats Apiece

Two teenagers in China ended up in the intensive care unit after doing too many squats, chinapress.com reported.

... The two teen girls were literally squatting over and over again, 1,000 times apiece, in a contest to see who could flex their glutes the longest.

Both girls won, apparently, agreeing to a ceasefire after their reps reached quadruple digits. However, about two days later, they both lost.

One of the girls reported intense soreness in her legs and found she was unable to bend them. When she saw that her urine had turned brown, she had her boyfriend take her to the hospital. The girl was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, which is basically an extreme version of what already happens in the body after physical exertion, Dr. Bruce Cohen, a medical officer for the FBI, told Live Science. Anytime you go on a long run or lift weights, your muscles break down, sending a protein called myoglobin through the bloodstream and to your kidneys, which filter them out. In fact. If you were to measure the amount of muscle protein in your blood after a 5-mile run, say, it would certainly be higher than before you began, he added. The difference is that with rhabdomyolysis, your kidneys can't handle the sheer quantity of dead muscle fibers. ...

"The kidneys get gummed up, and they start to fail," Cohen said.

Tang and her friend were lucky: Normally, "by the time you're peeing brown, it's too late," Cohen said.

The girls were transferred to intensive care soon after their diagnoses and hooked up to IVs to help clear the protein from their system. ....

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/66054-teen-girls-rhabdomyolysis-squats.html

I completely avoid all unnecessary exercise after reading Lyall Watson’s Supernature back in the day. He wrote that all mammals have roughly the same number of heartbeats in their average lifespan, from a dormouse to an elephant, the only one that didn’t was Humans...Apparently!
I’m not wasting my heartbeats on unnecessary exercise...in fact I pass at least 4 gyms a night on the way to the pub.

I completely avoid all unnecessary exercise after reading Lyall Watson’s Supernature back in the day. He wrote that all mammals have roughly the same number of heartbeats in their average lifespan, from a dormouse to an elephant, the only one that didn’t was Humans...Apparently!
I’m not wasting my heartbeats on unnecessary exercise...in fact I pass at least 4 gyms a night on the way to the pub.
That's what I think too. If you increase your heart rate, you'll pretty soon get to the MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure). Every heart has its own pre-programmed reliability level and failure point, akin to built-in obsolescence in electronic equipment or a car engine.

If you are unfit then your heart rate will be higher than a fit persons since it is less efficient. Your heart rate will rise when you exercise but all the rest of the time it will be lower and use fewer heartbeats. :domo:

If you are unfit then your heart rate will be higher than a fit persons since it is less efficient. Your heart rate will rise when you exercise but all the rest of the time it will be lower and use fewer heartbeats. :domo:
That is essentially true, but there are people who do so much exercise (e.g. pro sports people) all day that they have reduced their life expectancy.
Look at all the young sportsmen who are having heart attacks - and all the retired sports pros who are dying relatively young.

That is essentially true, but there are people who do so much exercise (e.g. pro sports people) all day that they have reduced their life expectancy.
Look at all the young sportsmen who are having heart attacks - and all the retired sports pros who are dying relatively young.

Young sportspeople who have apparent heart attacks are usually victims of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. It is a heredity condition which has nothing to do with exercise. We see sudden deaths from it in the media because it's surprising and newsworthy. Makes a good story.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) is a disease in which the heart muscle (myocardium) becomes abnormally thick (hypertrophied). The thickened heart muscle can make it harder for the heart to pump blood.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy often goes undiagnosed because many people with the disease have few, if any, symptoms and can lead normal lives with no significant problems.

Did Watson mention what lifespan a human would be expected to have, if we go by number of heartbeats?

If people are using this incident to justify not taking exercise, they haven't read it properly.

For example, (paragraph breaks added)

For couch potatoes, rhabdomyolysis is no reason to buckle down on a refusal to exercise.

First, the condition is rare, Cohen said.

But more importantly, training as an athlete or at least exercising consistently is probably one of the best ways to avoid rhabdomyolysis.

That's because that working out may help you become more in tune with your body and recognize when you might be overexerting yourself.

Plus, athletes have a steady training regimen that slowly builds upon itself.

It's the weekend warriors — those folks who sit at a desk all week and then head out for monster training runs come Saturday — who really need to be careful, Cohen said.

So it's people who rarely exercise but who might suddenly over-exert who're in danger from rhabdomyolysis rather than those who're training regularly.

i would've thought doing a 1000 squats would risk damaging yer undercarriage too, unless you had really strong pelvic floor muscles. bits, front and back might prolapse.

i would've thought doing a 1000 squats would risk damaging yer undercarriage too, unless you had really strong pelvic floor muscles. bits, front and back might prolapse.

More likely to happen to over-enthusiastic weightlifters.

Jim Fixx was the father of jogging and he died of a heart attack 4 years younger than i currently am. See...he used up all his beats.

From Wiki James Fuller "Jim" Fixx (April 23, 1932 – July 20, 1984) was an American who wrote the 1977 best-selling book The Complete Book of Running. He is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution, popularising the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging. He died of a heart attack while jogging at 52 years of age.

Jim Fixx was the father of jogging and he died of a hear attack 4 years younger than i currently am. See...he used up all his beats.

From Wiki James Fuller "Jim" Fixx (April 23, 1932 – July 20, 1984) was an American who wrote the 1977 best-selling book The Complete Book of Running. He is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution, popularising the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging. He died of a heart attack while jogging at 52 years of age.

Fixx took up jogging (i.e. non-competitive running) at the age of 36 when he'd been a heavy smoker for many years. He was also obese and had a congenital heart condition. At the time of his death he was dealing with a stressful occupation and his second divorce.

In light of all that I'd say many of the 16 years he lived after taking up running were a bonus that he'd personally worked hard to achieve. He wasn't a failure.

I'm (politely) calling you out on this post - could you please elaborate on what you mean?

I am reading it to mean that people who are accustomed to squatting to use a toilet facility somehow get priority for social housing in Manchester?

If you mean residents whose origins might just be east of the Greenwich meridian then it's a hackneyed belief that has no basis in fact. Social housing is allocated on need/time on the list/medical criteria only.

Can't believe this still does the rounds, and honestly it gets my goat when these snidey ripostes are shoehorned into Fortean threads.
I understood the post to refer to the act of occupying a property without permission.

I was talking about the infamous rural toilets in China (and elsewhere: a hole in the ground or the 'squatting toilets', shudder); INT21 was punning on that to mean illegally occupying a vacant property.

I'm (politely) calling you out on this post - could you please elaborate on what you mean?

I am reading it to mean that people who are accustomed to squatting to use a toilet facility somehow get priority for social housing in Manchester?

If you mean residents whose origins might just be east of the Greenwich meridian then it's a hackneyed belief that has no basis in fact. Social housing is allocated on need/time on the list/medical criteria only.

Can't believe this still does the rounds, and honestly it gets my goat when these snidey ripostes are shoehorned into Fortean threads.

I thought it meant 'squatting' as in 'living in an empty house'.

Back