• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

killer in the trafford centre

chockfullahate

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
my girlfriend was forwarded this yesterday, apprently it's been doing the rounds here in Liverpool.... (sorry about the text being choppy, this is how it cut and pasted...)

**** please forward this on
HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE TRAFFORD CENTRE RECENTLY?
THIS IS TRUE STORY PLEASE PASS IT ON TO OTHERS, SO THAT THEY KNOW, THIS REALLY HAPPENED.
ABOUT A MONTH AGO THERE WAS A WOMAN STANDING BY THE ENTRANCE TO THE SHOPPING CENTRE, PASSING OUT FLYERS TO ALL THE WOMEN GOING IN. THE WOMAN HAD WRITTEN THE FLYER HERSELF TO TELL ABOUT AN EXPERIENCE SHE HAD SO THAT SHE MIGHT WARN OTHER WOMEN.
THE PREVIOUS DAY, THIS WOMAN HAD FINISHED SHOPPING AND WENT OUT TO HER CAR AND DISCOVERED THAT SHE HAD A FLAT TYRE. SHE GOT THE JACK OUT OF THE BOOT AND BEGAN TO CHANGE THE FLAT.
A NICE MAN DRESSED IN A BUSINESS SUIT AND CARRYING A BRIEFCASE WALKED UP TO HER AND SAID, I NOTICED YOU'RE CHANGING A FLAT TYRE. WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO TAKE CARE OF IT FOR YOU?" THE WOMAN WAS GRATEFUL FOR HIS OFFER AND ACCEPTED HIS HELP.
THEY CHATTED AMIABLY WHILE THE MAN CHANGED THE FLAT, AND THEN PUT THE FLAT TYRE AND THE JACK IN THE BOOT SHUT IT AND DUSTED HIS HANDS OFF.
THE WOMAN THANKED HIM PROFUSELY, AND AS SHE WAS ABOUT TO GET IN HER CAR THE MAN TOLD HER THAT HE LEFT HIS CAR AROUND ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SHOPPING CENTRE, AND ASKED IF SHE WOULD MIND GIVING HIM A LIFT TO HIS CAR.
SHE WAS A LITTLE SURPRISED AND SHE ASKED WHY HIS CAR WAS ON THE OTHER SIDE.
HE EXPLAINED THAT HE HAD SEEN AN OLD FRIEND IN THE CENTRE WHO HE HADN'T SEEN FOR SOME TIME AND THEY HAD A BITE TO EAT AND LOOKED AROUND THE SHOPS FOR A WHILE. HE GOT TURNED AROUND IN THE MALL AND LEFT THROUGH THE WRONG EXIT, AND NOW HE WAS RUNNING LATE AND HIS CAR WAS AROUND ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CENTRE.
THE WOMAN HATED TO TELL HIM NO BECAUSE HE HAD JUST RESCUED HER FROM HAVING TO CHANGE HER FLAT TYRE ALL BY HERSELF, BUT SHE FELT UNEASY, THEN SHE REMEMBERED SEEING THE MAN PUT HIS BRIEFCASE IN HER BOOT BEFORE SHUTTING IT AND BEFORE HE ASKED HER FOR A RIDE TO HIS CAR.
SHE TOLD HIM THAT SHE'D BE HAPPY TO DRIVE HIM AROUND TO HIS CAR, BUT SHE JUST REMEMBERED ONE LAST THING SHE NEEDED TO BUY. SHE SAID SHE WOULD ONLY BE A FEW MINUTES, HE COULD SIT DOWN IN HER CAR AND WAIT FOR HER, SHE'D BE AS QUICK AS SHE COULD BE.
SHE HURRIED INTO THE SHOPPING CENTRE, AND TOLD A SECURITY GUARD WHAT HAD HAPPENED, THE GUARD CAME OUT TO HER CAR WITH HER, BUT THE MAN HAD LEFT.
THEY OPENED THE BOOT, TOOK OUT HIS LOCKED BRIEFCASE AND TOOK IT DOWN TO THE POLICE STATION.
THE POLICE OPENED IT (OSTENSIBLY TO LOOK FOR ID SO THEY COULD RETURN IT TO THE MAN).
WHAT THEY FOUND WAS ROPE, DUCT TAPE AND KNIVES.
WHEN THE POLICE CHECKED THE FLAT TYRE, THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT, THE AIR HAD SIMPLY BEEN LET OUT.
IT WAS OBVIOUS WHAT THE MANS INTENTION WAS, AND OBVIOUS THAT HE HAD CAREFULLY THOUGHT IT OUT IN ADVANCE.
THE WOMAN WAS BLESSED TO HAVE ESCAPED HARM. HOW MUCH WORSE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IF SHE HAD CHILDREN WITH HER AND GOT THEM TO WAIT IN THE CAR WHILE THE MAN FIXED THE TYRE, OR IF SHE HAD A BABY STRAPPED INTO A CAR SEAT.
THIS WOMAN TOLD THIS EXPERIENCE ON THE FLYER SHE WAS PASSING OUT SO THAT OTHER WOMEN COULD BE WARNED.
PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IF YOU EVER NEED ROADSIDE OR PARKING HELP.
I'D LIKE YOU TO FORWARD THIS TO ALL THE WOMEN YOU KNOW. IT MAY SAVE A LIFE.
LET THIS BE A WARNING TO ALL WOMEN

any comments anyone, anyone came across this before? sounds reminiscent of ted bundy's activities?

[edited for clarity]

Not come across it in that setting but it is a well known legend... it usully takes place out on a country road at the dead of night in the woods. sometimes its not knives and rope but a head in a bag.

If it had really hapened I don't think the woman would have wanted to return to the scene to hand out leaflets in the carpark all day *hmmm*

I have heard this one here in the states. It takes place in a shopping mall, also. I knew I should save these emails so I can keep a time line of urban legends! It has been a few years since I heard it first, but I am pretty sure it is almost word for word the same.

It's interesting that this starts by saying the woman was handing out leaflets. She could be doing this to fire up an urban legend. She could have been there for real, although I doudt it. I would have thought that centre management would have stopped her.
It interesting how the old urban legends take on new twists.
Why would the killer have gone to the trafford centre? Although I've not been there I would imagine that the carpark is covered in CCTV. Why go through all the faff of seeing a woman you liked the idea of killing. Watch her wander if to shop, then let the air out of her tyres and sit in wait for however many hours.

i heard this a few years ago about the multi storey car park in Birmingham,told to me by a lady who believed and seemed to spread every UL going.These UL's used to appear on Ed Doolans lunchtime show on radio WM(apologies to people not in the Midlands for whom this means nothing)Anxious people used to ring him up and warn people on air of these terrible things happening.He used to take great delight in telling them that the stories had been doing the rounds for years.The callers still then used to end by saying "well i thought i better warn everyone"

If the Police had been involved, they would have issued warnings to the public, description of man, perhaps even CCTV pics of him.

Yep, UL.

A variation of this was doing the rounds a good few years ago (the old "I noticed the woman had hairy hands at the last minute" one), just before the Trafford Centre opened, and instead the supposed location was the Asda car park opposite the TC.

Complete UL, but we could live in hope that the guy abducts the production team of that dire "I Love Shopping" show (see another thread) :D

I rang the Police Constable who's name was given as the originator of this message, as it's done the rounds here too.

He was forwarded the message and asked to review it, so he sent it to the computer fraud (or whatever) department for thier input - they don't know how, but it got out and seems to be doing the rounds all over the country.

No one knows if it's real or not. :rolleyes:

I was asked to urge anyone not to pass it on by email, as there doesn't seem to be a valid police-sourced message in existence.

see: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/hairyarm.htm

Sounds like a variantion on the "Nightclub Slasher" or "Needle-stabber" UL that does the rounds from time to time. It plays on fears of the unexpected or undefendable attack. Personally I think these are started by pranksters who want to see how far or how excessive the initial rumour goes. Like a virus-programmer, they've no real point or ambition but to do as much harm with as little effort as possible.

The "Chinese Whisper" effect merely adds to a completely fictitious story which may have one initial fact (e.g. There is a shopping centre called "Such-and-such") and then peoples own imagination carries it on, adding more and more "details".

When I've received such "panic-passing" emails I delete them automatically. If it were true it would be on the news, not coming from some hysteric saying "have you seen this?" or "I recently heard about this ..."

Has anyone got the one about people asking for volunteers in shopping centres to test perfume samples? They're taken somewhere quiet and then given a whiff of something which knocks them out and then are whisked off somewhere. Like the old 'blue star' LSD messages. I get really sick of people sending stuff like that out, it just worries people and is obviously bollocks! If it had really happened, it woud be on the news. And how many people who had been given a flyer in a shopping mall would take the time to transcribe it and email it to people?

That reminds me...

One that was doing the rounds a short while ago regarding the Trafford Centre was the one about the woman in a queue in a shop, when an arabic looking gentleman in front of her dropped a wad of cash on the floor without noticing.
Picking the money up, she tapped the man on the shoulder.
"Excuse me you dropped this" she said.
"Thank you so much for your honesty," he replied "Now let me repay you. Do not go shopping in Liverpool over Christmas this year."
"Why not?" she asked, a cold chill creeping down her spine, "Is there going to be a terrorist attack?"
"No," replied the man. "It's just a shithole..."

There was also a variant on the sniffing perfume one, women were sprayed directly and it made them infertile. In about 4 seconds!

I think if it could be marketed it would cure many social ills. (I'm kidding ;) !!)

I've just thought - what good would it do you if you'd put your bits and pieces in the boot.

'Yes miss, if you could just drive round to my car on the other side of the car park, then wait for me to get out, go to the boot, retrieve my briefcase, and then come back to kidnap you at knife point.'

I'm not convinced...

Further back yet! It seems to be a variant on the 'hairy hands' story mentioned above. I can't remember the precise dating but I believe the earliest recorded version dates back to the days of monks and big fancy illustrations!

Back