• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Killer Waves Caused By Foul Weather

MrSnowman

Abominable Snowman
Yes I know there's a similarly named thread already, but I can't find it anywhere, so merge at will..

Nature asks for no quarter, and gives none...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4345903.stm

"Freak wave sweeps pair to death

A mother and son have died after a freak wave washed them off the seafront at Scarborough Bay, Yorkshire, as they watched the sea from the promenade.

The woman in her 30s and her 10-year-old son died despite treatment from ambulance and hospital staff, Scarborough General Hospital confirmed.

The wave swept four people into the sea. One, the dead woman's partner, was saved unhurt, but a girl remains lost.An RAF helicopter and lifeboats were still searching for her in the dark.

The incident happened just before high tide when fierce waves are known to sweep the promenade at the seaside resort.

The Humber coastguard said a member of the public phoned 999 shortly after 1600 on Sunday to report that several people had been swept into the sea.

"Although people can and do survive under those conditions, the sea is very, very cold off Scarborough at this time of year"
Michael Mulford
RAF Kinloss

BBC reporter Danny Savage said the family had been watching the waves from the foreshore, and that the waves had been larger than usual because of a spring tide.

He said three children had been pulled into the water, and that the dead woman's boyfriend had managed to save one of them.

He said a Sea King helicopter "with very powerful searchlights" was still sweeping the bay looking for signs of the missing girl

Michael Mulford of RAF Kinloss, speaking about the likelihood that the teenager had survived, said: "We have to be realistic about this.

"Although people can and do survive under those conditions, the sea is very, very cold off Scarborough at this time of year."

He added that there were swells of about 12ft."

Being a coastal bumpkin, I'm always wary of the sea; if only people'd be a bit more careful, especially at this time of year.

The waves certainly hit around the headland.

We went in January 2002 and walked round the headland to the Sealife Centre on the North Bay. Very dodgy! Got soaked by the spray. I recall looking over the edge into the sea and remarking on how strong the swell was.

Worst in the UK I've seen were off the prom back at home when Hurricane Charlie was at full blast. The waves were at least 30ft high coming over onto the road, and there were dead fish and rocks everywhere. The cleanup took absolutely ages as I recall, as the promside buildings were absolutely knackered.

Worst abroad was in Spain when the tail end of a hurricane hit the south coast. Lord 'a mercy, it was in the mid 90s and so my brother and I were full of teenage derring do (and we're both v.strong swimmers) and decided to go for a dip. After going about 20 metres out, we rode an absolutely huge crest, and sure enough got sucked under after it had passed. I remember just tumbling down and down and whacking my head on the bed, and then swimming hell for the leather for the shore; my brother, the jammy swine, managed to turn his drag into a dive and he projectiled himself to the shoreline. I had a wicked bruise and a few cuts on my head, and vowed to doff my cap to the sea a little more after that.

Nothing compared to the tragedy in Scarborough, but a telling tale nonetheless.

Back