• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kissing

I think kissing came about as a 'hangover' from breastfeeding as a baby -
The mouth and lips are very sensitive.
At first glancing at a person, unconsciously we see their hair, their lips and then travel on down.
For instance, Marilyn Monroe.

The Maori greeting is called Hongi. It's about the sharing of breath.

They do a similar thing in Tonga. "The traditional greeting is to put one's right cheek next to the other's right cheek and take a deep breath. This is formally known as ‘fe’iloaki’ (‘greet’) and informally as ‘uma’ (‘kiss’)."

When the Tongan guy I met and fell in love and became friends with took me to meet his family he asked me to do this with them.

Ronnie you could be on the right track.

I ran across an idea that in the past mothers would kiss-feed their babies also.

Think about a mother bird feeding her young.

The Maori greeting is called Hongi. It's about the sharing of breath.

They do a similar thing in Tonga. "The traditional greeting is to put one's right cheek next to the other's right cheek and take a deep breath. This is formally known as ‘fe’iloaki’ (‘greet’) and informally as ‘uma’ (‘kiss’)."

When the Tongan guy I met and fell in love and became friends with took me to meet his family he asked me to do this with them.
Dogs and cats (and probably most animals?) also sniff each other in the facial region, as an introduction.

I remember in High School that a few boys would brag about “ French Kissing “ with tongues.

A tongue kiss is more dangerous as all kinds of exotic bacteria and virus ( mononucleosis ) is transmitted.

Then a few boys would suck their girlfriend’s neck, and this girlfriend would proudly show her bruised neck to the girls.

Kissing time limit.

Thanks to Annie Rauwerda of The Depths of Wikipedia fame, I learned that UCLA has a huge online archive of very old video reels.

This includes a clip from October 1933 in which police officers in Bronxville, New York enforce that municipalities' local laws on the legal length of public goodbye kisses between commuters and their families at the train station.

Yes, you read that right.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to embed or download the videos. But you can watch the Hearst newsreel clip right here courtesy of UCLA. And you know what they say: All Cops Are Blocking You From Kissing Your Spouse Goodbye (ACABYKYSG).

https://boingboing.net/2023/05/26/i...dbye-kisses-on-bronxville-train-platform.html

Back