• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Knicker nickers

BlackPeter

Ancient Badger
Posting this as a result of a conversation in my local pub tonight (the Railway in Moira, excellent drinking hole) , someone asked what had happened to all the cases (which used to relatively common when I was a youngster back in the 1960's!) that used to appear in local newspapers of someone stealing womens knickers off washing lines, and it's true thinking about it I haven't seen one of these reported for a long time! Is this just the press/police not bothering anymore to report them or have the guilty parties found other outlets for their desires/fetishes?!? :? :)

People use tumble dryers these days so there're probably fewer pants on show to tempt the would-be thief.

It still goes on, though - didn't we recently have a thread on a former town mayor who'd been caught stealing underwear from his female friends' homes?

It must have been a popular British news story at one time in the late 60s, Pink Floyd did a song about it and a character in the play and film The Anniversary (you know, Bette Davis with an eyepatch?) is an underwear thief.

Modern lifestyle & Internet has probably made a difference too. I imagine some of the thieves would have been closet cross dressers and some of the others people with a fetish for womens underwear. There are sites and shops that cater for that now.

My mum had some underwear stolen back in the 60s as did some other local women. Around 18 months later police busted a local man for the crime. He had over 1500 pairs of womens knickers!

I agree - and today no one would bat an eyelid if a man walked into a store and bought some female underwear or lingerie.

Didn't happen back them much I suppose?

I remember a murder case in the old East Germany where a guy killed a few women just to get the gear! Today - he'd just order it over the net.

Online shopping is a life saver in so many ways.

A lot of people have tumble driers now too, not so many knickers out on the line.

Well, I can never find any.

What's that on your head then? :lol:

Because cats do it better of course!

Southampton 'cat burglar' reported to police

Oscar's anti-social behaviour was reported to the police by his owners
The owners of a cat have reported their pet to the police after it started stealing dozens of knickers and items of underwear from neighbouring gardens.

Peter and Birgitt Weismantel adopted 12-year-old Oscar from the Cats Protection charity at Christmas.

But as he started to settle in at their home in Gordon Avenue, Southampton, he started bringing home his stolen haul.

In recent weeks he has brought home about 70 items leading his owners to inform the police.

Mr Weismantel, 72, said Oscar first started bringing home gardening gloves but quickly moved on to ladies knickers, socks and children's underwear.

As the haul built up his owners became concerned that neighbours would think there was a thief operating in the area so Mr Weismantel contacted police to tell them about his pet's anti-social behaviour.

'Paying his way'
He said: "When we let him out in the garden he started bringing us back gardening gloves and bits of rubber gloves and then he went up market and started bringing back children's knickers.

"Then it began to escalate and I telephoned the police as people must have been missing clothes, especially with women's underwear being taken.

"But he just doesn't stop and he's still doing it now.

"It's all a bit mysterious. We don't know where he's getting the items from because there are no children living near to us so he might be going quite far afield.

"We feel that he is bringing us presents as a token of appreciation, an offer to help pay his way."

Maggie Roberts, director of veterinary services at Cats Protection, said: "Cats generally bring prey or other items back to the core area of their territory where they feel safe, usually the house for domestic cats.

"This is a natural behaviour that is completely normal and isn't a cause for concern."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10555266

In Australia, knickers-on-the-clothesline-knicking is called ''snow dropping'', but I don't know why!

I understand that, in the past, decent women pinned their knickers INSIDE pillow cases.

Zilch5 said:
I agree - and today no one would bat an eyelid if a man walked into a store and bought some female underwear or lingerie.

I thought the whole point was that they wanted "worn" underwear. I was going to use the phrase "soiled" but it seemed inappropriate. A colleague of mine does ballet, she bought some pumps but they didn't agree with her so she sold them on ebay as "used ballet pumps". She got almost twice what she paid for them, we realised there is a whole industry for "soiled" ballet stuff. eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MY-WORN-USED-OLD- ... 179wt_1137

It was a popular talking point in my school in the early 90s. If someone said "where do you live" the standard response was "I'm not telling you, you might come and steal my pants off the line".

Interesting point in the Canadian knicker nicker story:

Some of the burglaries went undetected, the victims unaware someone had crept into their homes and made off with a trophy. Later, however, it would become clear that the burglar was keeping track.

There was no reason for police to connect the Tweed and Ottawa fetish sprees. At any given time, in a city the size of Ottawa, it is not uncommon for several lingerie burglars to be operating at the same time.

Initially, police had not been too concerned. The Orleans burglar was careful to ensure no one was home when he struck, and very few fetish burglars graduate to sexual assault.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... liams?bn=1

They are still about in Japan as well, or they were when I lived there ten years ago. Had all my nice underwear nicked off the line, and because I was uncertain whether I should be concerned or not, I reported it to the local police, who duly took my statement.

I think they thought I was overracting a bit. It was "only" a chikan in their view. Seems to be the perv's crime of choice in Japan, and one is particularly at risk as a Western woman.........

:oops:

I am interested that this activity still seems to go on despite a comparative lack of reporting, I feel that the fortean interest factor is in why an activity (for want of a better term) that was reconisably common has ceased to be (on the whole) reported??

Reading another article about the canadian knicker nicker, a Canadian journalist said every single woman she'd asked had been the victim of knicker theft. Now I feel left out.

linesmachine said:
I thought the whole point was that they wanted "worn" underwear. I was going to use the phrase "soiled" but it seemed inappropriate.

Ugh - I guess... I'd just rather play with the actual woman than muck around with someone's undies. :D

Erm... what do these thieves actually do with all these knickers? I don't get it. Do they wear them? Why don't they just buy some knickers from M and S instead of stealing them... I just don't get it.

A criminologist writes :lol:

A friend of mine in HS had an older brother who was arrested for this and climbing trees and peeking in young ladies windows. :(

I'm embarressed that i was so naive. That guy is a terrible murdering pervert. I felt sick after a couple of those panty pictures. :oops:

Journalists have been tweeting the crown prosecution outline of attacks and murders. Horrible stuff as if you read it, it's like it's playing out in real time.

Although a few people have pointed out that he's a predator, not your standard fetishist. He's pretty abnormal all round as he only started criminal behaviour in his 40s, when most people start in their 20s.

And he flew the queen in an aeroplane.

Back