• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Kraken' On Google Earth

While it's a youtube video with the requisite creepy music, I can confirm that this object is there in Google Earth (both web and desktop versions).

Online speculation has it being a "kraken".
It does look like a really HUGE squid, perhaps struggling with a whale. Brought to the surface on the back of the whale.

Too blurry to be properly identified but, be aware that the Russians have the largest submarines ever built patrolling in the area and, when they surface and blow their tanks, they probably look something like that image:

Russian_sub.jpg

Last edited:
Good work, Oldrover! That was a short lived mystery, but it was fun to wonder for a while.

Sail Rock is a rock lying 1 nautical mile (1.9 km; 1.2 mi) northwest of Shag Island and 7 nautical miles (13 km; 8.1 mi) north of Heard Island. This rock, though positioned several miles too far westward, appears to have been first shown on an 1860 sketch map compiled by Captain H.C. Chester, American sealer operating in the area during this period. It was more accurately charted and named on an 1874 chart by the Challenger expedition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sail_Rock_(Heard_Island)

So, it may be moving.

gibbering insanity
There's often some of that on this MB!

This story about Sail Rock reminds me about the time I did a power boat delivery from Florida to Antigua in about 1989. At one point in the trip, passing south of some island or other, we passed a huge rock pinnacle, perhaps several hundred feet high, sticking up out of the ocean. IIRC, it was only marked on the chart by a dot, so it was quite a surprise to see such a tall object there.

It must be well-known in the region, but I've never heard it mentioned anywhere. Does this ring any bells with people familiar with the Caribbean?

PS: definitely a rock, not a kraken!

What is causing the apparent disturbance in the water, is it waves breaking against parts of the rock beneath the surface?

Back