• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Krod Mandoon & The Flaming Sword Of Fire

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Did anyone else watch Krod Mandoon last night?

I'm undecided.....it was pretty funny in places, but a couple of bits were a bit, well...... :oops:

Especially the pole dancing bit. Which I hated. Obviously.

I managed around 7 minutes then decided it was too cringe-worthy to carry on watching.

I then had a game of golf on my Wii. :)

The phrase 'a lot of pucking fish' sprang to mind

It looked pretty dreadful from the trailer, so I'm glad I didn't waste my time if it really was that poor.

A few days ago I was watching audio commentary to Police Squad! The part where Leslie Nielsen absentmindedly walks into a lampost there's a collective wince from Jim Abrahams and the Zucker brothers - "oh man" "maybe we should have had a laugh track" "It would have helped that joke"

Over 25 years later, Krod opened with that joke.

I gave up soon after...

I actually managed half an hour before giving up & reading the latest issue of Viz while waiting for That Mitchell & Webb Look to start. Terrible, terrible mess & hopelessy unfunny, what was alsosurprising was how badly acted this mess was.

It's something which, at best, could have worked as a five minute sketch. Making it last an hour (god knows how bad the last half hour was) is just self indulgent nonsense.

There's a Radio 4 comedy on at the moment called Elvenquest which does the same fantasy spoofing, I wonder if there was something in the air when these series were commissioned last year?

I blame Harvard Lampoon's Bored of the Rings, myself. It never got any better than that.

gncxx said:
There's a Radio 4 comedy on at the moment called Elvenquest which does the same fantasy spoofing, I wonder if there was something in the air when these series were commissioned last year?

I blame Harvard Lampoon's Bored of the Rings, myself. It never got any better than that.

I think Elvenquest has just finished its first run, quite funny in a schtool of Douglas Adams way, with touches of Old Harry's Game and Terry Prachett . I wondered if the writers had read Diane Wynne Jone's Tough Guide To Fantasyland, which has a lot of fun at the expense of Formulaic Fantasy and it's cliches....

Interestingly enough, India de Beaufort's IMDB rating has gone up 241% in the last few days.

Can't think why...

Looked woefully bad.

Spoofing sci-fi etc... works brilliantly when done by independant, talented people who obviously love the source - Spaced, Garth Marenghi.

When it is done by a committe for the mainstream, like this most probably was, it is tedious, unloveable and painfully unfunny.

Don't have TV, but Elvenquest is just shockingly awful. You'd think that the BBC would be able to employ people who could think of jokes, or something.

Back