• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Levitating Stones

A

Anonymous

My father ( a lapsed muslim) told me about a floating stone when I was a kid. I have no idea where it is but the story goes that Mohammeds mother sat on a perfectly ordinary stone whilst pregnant and when she got up it miracously floated in the air, which it has been doing ever since. My father said that the stone is now hid behind a curtain because the sight of it has caused people to faint, collapse, die etc..

Has anybody heard this story before??????

Wasn't there something in FT this month or last about a floating stone in (I think) Korea or Vietnam?

Yeah I know, I'm being really precise there :rolleyes: :D

Wasn't there something in FT this month or last about a floating stone in (I think) Korea or Vietnam?

Aye, one of the 'Seven Wonder of Korea' - all of which have 'mysteriously' disappeared.

Could such stories have originated with pumice? Okay it doesn't float in mid air, but it does float on water - which would still seem pretty miraculous. Just an idea.

I understand your oblique reference even if no-one else does. And yes, he was invited to join but decided to keep drumming for The Who.

are there any more stories of religious artifacts that if looked upon they can cause people to faint, turn white, die etc in other faiths/beliefs?

the Floating Stone and the Ark Of The Covenant are two

Several of the early Celtic Saints (including St. Piran, patron saint of Cornwall) were said to have crossed the sea from Ireland to Britain on floating stones, which they then used as altars in the churches they founded.

Since I don't think they had ferro-concrete boats in those days, I'd guess that they actually used a skin covered boat, but may well have brought a sacred altar stone with them, and then the mythmaking set in.

(((Bump))))))

This occured to me again this afternoon while reading FT and I'm bumping it primarily for Alexuis' benefit, if somebody has some knowledge of this it will be him (not putting the pressure on or anything ;) ).

This story has been plaguing me most of my lfe and I have never heard anybody aprt from my father mention it.

Don't mean to be a spoilsport here, but this just might be another one of those stories that get passed by word-of-mouth from person to person, without any proof or documentation for that matter.

Kinda like a 'rumour' whose purpose is to elevate the religion to a higher point of respect in a person's mind.

BTW, I have a coworker who has a lot of knowledge about Islam. I'll ask him about this today.

There is a story that in the kingdom of Prester John, is the tomb of St Thomas, the coffin is made of lodestone, and so it floats by plain old maglev!

So say none but an xtian can enter the shrine without dying.

(supposedly in India)

I asked him yesterday. He mentions that he's never heard this story before. Do you think you could ask your dad or mom (since she'd know too) for more details? If the stone has a name?

There is a magazine back in Denmark called En Skoer Skoer Verden. It is a bit like Sunday Sport, it has a mix of made up stories and real amazing stories. On one of the magazines the backpage shows a bunch of people which I think looked Islamic. They were all huddled around in a circle with their fingers in the air, and a stone hovering right above. The article said that it was some kind of magic stone that when people put their finger on and started praying, it would being to levitate. And going up higher than people were reaching. It could just be made up of course.

That sounds promising, it's the nearest thing I've ever heard to this story.

Unfortunately Dad has gone to a better place (North London :D) so cannot ask him but going to ask my mum is she remembers this story........

Hi Lilith
This may refer to an incident mentioned by Herbie Brennnan in his book Electricity sonics & the disappearance of an advanced civilisation.He mentions 11 priests in Poona chanting and lifting a 40 ton rock using their finger tips.I am fairly certain I have a book with a photograph of another incident though which involved Muslims chanting and raising a smaller stone.I will check tonight/tomorrow and see if I can find it.
There are also similar legends regarding levitating stones from Egypt Tibet South America.

Hi Lilith
I have found the book. It's called "Atlantis From Legend To Discovery" Author Andrew Tomas published by Sphere in 1972.In the book is a photograph of 11 guys apparently holding a spherical stone using just their finger tips.The book goes on to say:

Near Poona in western India there is the village of Shivapur on the Satara Road.It has a small memorial mosque dedicated to Qamar Ali Dervish.a Sufi saint.In front of the mosque lie twolarge round boulders.The bigger granite stone weighs 120lbs and the smaller 90.
Daily groups of pilgrims and visitirs stand around one of the stones, chanting the name of Qamar Ali Dervish in loud ringing tones while their right forefingers touch the boulder.For some reason only eleven people should encircle the larger stone.Suddenly the rock detaches itself from the ground becoming completely weightless and within seconds rises six feet in the air,where it remains for a split second before dropping to the ground with a thud.The same thing happens with the other boulder which is levitated by a group of nine.
This peculiar phenomenon occurs many times a day .....
Normally it takes six men to lift the larger granit boulder .....

It goes on to say the religious beliefs of the participants are of no relevance but without the chant of Qamar Ali Dervish the stones do not rise. Hope this helps.

Fastinating. But why isnt this the premier tourist attraction of India??

(Homo Aves puts on her steel toe capped boots...)

Well, I`m sure a lot of the tourists just go to Goa and then see a lot of stuff floating and flying.

Mother has absolutely no recollection of the story so I think all the results from the detective work done on this thread (many thanks BTW) may be the true source of this story.

Homo Aves said:
Fastinating. But why isnt this the premier tourist attraction of India??

(Homo Aves puts on her steel toe capped boots...)

Homo Aves is a she? Me is impressed ;)

India has a lot of religious places, and the problem is, there are so many allegedly magical places that it's a matter-of-fact thing. Just about every temple there has something of the sort attributed to it. I've been around, but haven't seen a single thing properly verified. There was always something that came up which prevented me from seeing it, or it just turned out to be an exaggeration.

Else I'm pretty sure that place would have been swarming with tourists.

And hey, I don't mean to be a spoilsport here, I'm giving my observations.

Homo Aves is a she? Me is impressed

Ooooh, are you going to invite me out then?

And do you turn into a hansome landscape gardener when kissed. (need something more practical than princes)

Xanatic said:
There is a magazine back in Denmark called En Skoer Skoer Verden. It is a bit like Sunday Sport, it has a mix of made up stories and real amazing stories. On one of the magazines the backpage shows a bunch of people which I think looked Islamic. They were all huddled around in a circle with their fingers in the air, and a stone hovering right above. The article said that it was some kind of magic stone that when people put their finger on and started praying, it would being to levitate. And going up higher than people were reaching. It could just be made up of course.

Scan it in - it'd be worth seeing it ;)

Emps

".The bigger granite stone weighs 120lbs ....For some reason only eleven people should encircle the larger stone....Normally it takes six men to lift the larger granit boulder ....."

So the pressure from eleven fingers can lift 120 lbs - how amazing is that?
Almost as amazing as the fact that it takes six men to lift 120 lbs...

Here's a basic description of the stone and its role at the shrine ...

The stone in use today is not the original stone. The original one was so badly worn from centuries of use it had to be replaced.

It's interesting to note the procedure matches that used in the party trick of lifting someone by using only the finger(s) of four 'lifters' - including the expelling of breath and sudden concerted action.

Several other miracles are associated with Qamar Ali. The principal one concerns a heavy stone present in the dargah. The custodians and faqirs of the shrine declare that a round stone weighing some 90 kilograms lying in the porch in front of the shrine used to be lifted by Qamar Ali by just one finger. The present stone, which weighs 90 kg, is new, since the older one was worn out due to constant use. When eleven men stand around the stone and place their right foot in front and the index finger of their right hands at the base of the stone, and, with one breath, say loudly in unison, “Qamar Ali Darvesh”, the stone can be lifted up easily. The breath and voice of the lifters should go together and then only can the stone be lifted up. If their breath breaks or their cry is not loud enough the stone does not move from the ground. The stone turns and falls towards the person who does not cry out loud enough.

The Dargah of Qamar Ali Darvesh Baba:
An analytical study of its socio-economic and religious impact on the people of Pune
Samson Lankeshwar

https://www.academia.edu/28267608/T...us_impact_on_the_people_of_Pune?auto=download

Back