• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Thanks for your input I am an investment banker by trade so the techie stuff was above my pay grade meaning I have to take it as it comes or ignore it.

If you want some pedantry--
Sound is a mechanical wave. It must perpetuate through a medium of matter, like air, or ground. It does so at varying speeds (unlike light) and wavelengths. Movement can induce sound, like wind causing a bridge to resonate, because wavelengths can match up with physical input.
Light doesn't have that. It doesn't even need a medium to propagate through. In fact, matter can block it-- it doesn't have the physical interaction that things need to produce sound. It can't even transfer energy in a way to produce sound; only heat. Light would need to be able to produce orderly motion in a large-scale amount of matter to make sound. Since heat energy is inherently a random motion, that doesn't happen.
Sound also decays into heat, but that's as the atoms it's propagating through lose their order.

The alledged St Michael's Ley runs from Marazion in Cornwall to the arse end of England in Norfolk and beyond.
What is interesting is that the Churches on hills found along this Ley - St Michael's Mount, Brentor & Glastonbury are all named after St Michael and all sites of ancient worship which have had contemporary Xtian churches erected.
This Ley also encompasses the Avebury stones and Silbury Hill, again all important ancient sites - one could be forgiven for thinking that there may be something odd going on..............

It has been claimed that a straight-line alignment along "Michael" place names travels from Ireland and Cornwall all the way to Jerusalem:

michael.png

I've also seen similar claims for ley lines extending throughout Europe, linking places with variations of the name Alice, Alicia, Alais, Aix-en-Provence, Aachen etc. (etymology apparently meaning noble spring or waters). Saw an illustration in an old book to support this claim once, but cannot find an online link.

It has been claimed that a straight-line alignment along "Michael" place names travels from Ireland and Cornwall all the way to Jerusalem:

View attachment 55934

I've also seen similar claims for ley lines extending throughout Europe, linking places with variations of the name Alice, Alicia, Alais, Aix-en-Provence, Aachen etc. (etymology apparently meaning noble spring or waters). Saw an illustration in an old book to support this claim once, but cannot find an online link.

"In Catholic writings and traditions he acts as the defender of the Church and chief opponent of Satan...

Saint Michael is viewed as the commander of the Army of God.

Only Michael is called an archangel in the Bible.

Of all the angels, Michael was by far the most important in the Middle Ages.

Devotions to Saint Michael have a large Catholic following, and a number of churches are dedicated to him worldwide."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Michael_in_the_Catholic_Church

Churches named after Michael.

Another list of scores of such churches.

My point? Michael was a church superstar, and has loads of places and buildings named after him. Pick the right selection, ignore the fact that 2D maps can't accurately reflect a 3D planet and allow just a leeeetle leeway in your mapping, and Robert's yer father's brother: A ley line!

maximus otter

If those lines were projected onto a globe they wouldn't be straight.

St Michael is also commonly associated with churches which are located on top of hills, mounts and high places (whether artificial or not). I can well believe that some artificial mounds or specially chosen peaks have been deliberately aligned to be co-linear with other such churches; but this has nothing to do with magnetic fields or 'earth energies'.
Some St Michaels:
st-michaels-church-brentor-near-tavistock-1143721.jpg

640px-England-Saint-Michaels-Mount-1900-1.jpg

640px-Mont-Saint-Michel_vu_du_ciel.jpg

640px-0_1138_Le_Puy-en-Velay_%28Frankreich%29_-_Saint-Michel-d%27Aiguiihe.jpg

640px-Burrow_Mump_and_St_Micheal.jpeg

640px-Glastonbury_Tor-_View_of_an_iconic_landmark_%28geograph_5500644%29.jpg

My point? Michael was a church superstar, and has loads of places and buildings named after him. Pick the right selection, ignore the fact that 2D maps can't accurately reflect a 3D planet and allow just a leeeetle leeway in your mapping, and Robert's yer father's brother: A ley line!
A progam I wrote to evaluate 'ley line' probability (I've mentioned this before), showed that the wider the 'ley line' was, the more aligments there were...not a great surprise.

Listening to podcasts in the early hours whilst unable to sleep I found this discussion about Ley Lines on the Scottish Paranormal Podcast https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...podcasts-podcast/id1537234208?i=1000640593549
Ley lines were a much bigger thing in the 1970’s and were more widely discussed in Fortean Circles.
The guest on this podcast is Gary Biltcliffe who, with his co writer, has written several volumes on Ley lines which can be found at https://belinusline.com/index.php with several accompanying articles.

I note in this thread that the subject of Ley lines is considered by some to be “bollocks”, but in mind no more bollocks than Cryptids or UFO’s/UAP’s.
So there!

Last edited:
Regarding ley lines, here is an Essex mystery based on the geometery of a series of pubs called the compass, close to where I live. It is quite an interesting read for people who live locally, weaving in the local Templar connections.

https://vulpeculox.net/misc/mystery.htm

This also reminds me that the author lives a few doors away from an old work colleague who is currently unwell. I promised his son before Christmas that I would drop round with a couple of bottles of decent red wine for him to enjoy once his chemo is over and he gets his taste buds back.

It's based on the claims made by Frenchman Xavier Guichard who, as well as being a Parisian detective constable, was a keen member of La Société Préhistorique française.
In parallel with, but wholly independent of Alfred Watkins' work on Ley Lines in England, Guichard arrived at some similar conclusions albeit on a rather grander scale, in the early 20th century.

guichard.png

The link to his "Research into the origins of European civilisation" (in French) is here:

http://www.ancient-wisdom.com/eleuse alaise chapter1.htm

A bit of work on Google translate (and just general knowledge of French), gives alaise as 'a l'aise' or 'easy, comfortable, pertaining to comfort'. Which might mean that places with 'alaise' might be settlements where one could gain hospitality or 'ease'? Which would explain them being aligned, as it's easiest to move about in a straight line (rivers and other natural boundaries permitting).

Listening to podcasts in the early hours whilst unable to sleep I found this discussion about Ley Lines on the Scottish Paranormal Podcast https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...podcasts-podcast/id1537234208?i=1000640593549
Ley lines were a much bigger thing in the 1970’s and were more widely discussed in Fortean Circles.
The guest on this podcast is Gary Biltcliffe who, with his co writer, has written several volumes on Ley lines which can be found at https://belinusline.com/index.php with several accompanying articles.

I note in this thread that the subject of Ley lines is considered by some to be “bollocks”, but in mind no more bollocks than Cryptids or UFO’s/UAP’s.
So there!
I miss ley lines, I live close to that one that runs from St Michaels Mount:

http://www.davidfurlong.co.uk/michael_alignment.htm

So why have they gone out of fashion when the stone tape theory from the same era hasn't/

So why have they gone out of fashion when the stone tape theory from the same era hasn't/
I’m still interested in them. I’m re-reading The Sun and the Serpent. I thought I’d like to try dowsing, but I’m not sure how you know ‘what’ you’re dowsing? Underground water? A ‘ley line’. No clue. I like to think I can feel atmospheres but I coulnd’t with authority say, ah yes this is a something-something. I would just be: ‘Oh the rods have crossed. Cool.’

The writer and friends went across country tracking the Michael and Mary line but I’ve no idea how they knew it was either? Still, good way to get some exercise in the fresh air if nothing else.

I was at Avebury 3 times within 6 weeks last spring/summer and each time heard some people discussing ley lines and there are often people dowsing, but that is the kind of place that attracts people who believe in ley lines and they also sell dowsing rods.

Here you go.
The alignments of place names being variants of "Alaise" should be of interest to new guy @Piloton.it too

View attachment 75272
Yes, it's interesting.
But I don't really understand where "Alaise" is located, because I find two: one is a municipality just south of Besançon, while the other is the archaeological site of Alesia.
However, both seem further north than where it is marked on the map you posted. Of the two, the southernmost one is at the same height as Bern: it doesn't look like that on the map.
And Aliso in Corsica is a river and is a little further to the left, to the east, compared to where the line passes.
But even so it's very interesting!
Probably I should read the book to understand: "Alesia Eleusis. Search for the origins of European civilization".

A bit of work on Google translate (and just general knowledge of French), gives alaise as 'a l'aise' or 'easy, comfortable, pertaining to comfort'. Which might mean that places with 'alaise' might be settlements where one could gain hospitality or 'ease'? Which would explain them being aligned, as it's easiest to move about in a straight line (rivers and other natural boundaries permitting).

Certainly a possibility.
It may also be based on the name Falaise - a town I drove through yesterday in Normandy, and which means a cliff in modern French.
The town of Falaise looks like it would be on one of those lines radiating out from Alaise and ending in Ireland.
Wiki gives another possibility of the names deriving from Alatea, meaning originally either a villa or a place of healing.

Last edited:
Yes, it's interesting.
But I don't really understand where "Alaise" is located, because I find two: one is a municipality just south of Besançon, while the other is the archaeological site of Alesia.
However, both seem further north than where it is marked on the map you posted. Of the two, the southernmost one is at the same height as Bern: it doesn't look like that on the map.
And Aliso in Corsica is a river and is a little further to the left, to the east, compared to where the line passes.
But even so it's very interesting!
Probably I should read the book to understand: "Alesia Eleusis. Search for the origins of European civilization".

Looks like this is the location of Alaise from which Guichard's alignments were made:

alaise.png

And the similar spoken sound of Alaise and Leys is interesting, albeit probably coincidental.
A ley in old English simply meant a cleared space.

And the similar spoken sound of Alaise and Leys is interesting, albeit probably coincidental.
A ley in old English simply meant a cleared space.
Found some references of it meaning. . . 'in,' or 'into' - 'British Solomon Islands.'

I miss ley lines, I live close to that one that runs from St Michaels Mount:

http://www.davidfurlong.co.uk/michael_alignment.htm

Strange ideas like that pass in and out of fashion. Leys are slightly more popular since around 2010 in the US. Then there was "Ghostbusters 2016". There is a lot on "vortex" areas in the US too. Considering that leys were at first a very British thing, they aren't out of fashion yet!

https://sharonahill.com/leylines-from-the-old-straight-track-to-the-ghostbusters-vortex/

Strange ideas like that pass in and out of fashion. Leys are slightly more popular since around 2010 in the US. Then there was "Ghostbusters 2016". There is a lot on "vortex" areas in the US too. Considering that leys were at first a very British thing, they aren't out of fashion yet!

https://sharonahill.com/leylines-from-the-old-straight-track-to-the-ghostbusters-vortex/

As your article points out Sharon, there are two distinct aspects to the whole Ley thing.

1. There are straight(ish) alignments over improbable distances of similarly named places across England, Europe and beyond.
2. Vortices of paranormal power exist along these lines.

I am willing to believe there may be something in 1. but am very much a sceptic about 2.
And thanks for the heads-up about the feminist remake of Ghostbusters, but I still feel very little compulsion to watch it!

lf you are prepared to accept Elsenwang and Eiche as variants of Alaise, l’m surprised that more lines couldn’t be found.

maximus otter

You've looked at the map and chosen the most Germanic and least Alaise-like place names (rather like I did initially with my sceptical eye).
A quick Google though of the etymology of Elsen revealed "... from Middle Dutch elsene, alsene, from Old High German alansa, from Proto-Germanic *alisn, Proto-Germanic *alasn" all of which do more closely resemble Alaise. The Wang bit, as discussed elsewhere, simply means field, as in the amusingly named Wetwang referring to a low-lying swampy stretch of grass.
So I assume that Guichard looked at etymologies going back to Proto-Indo-European roots (PIE research had already been kicking around for a few decades prior to Guichard's work) before plotting his map.

As your article points out Sharon, there are two distinct aspects to the whole Ley thing.

1. There are straight(ish) alignments over improbable distances of similarly named places across England, Europe and beyond.
2. Vortices of paranormal power exist along these lines.

I am willing to believe there may be something in 1. but am very much a sceptic about 2.
And thanks for the heads-up about the feminist remake of Ghostbusters, but I still feel very little compulsion to watch it!
I did not hate that Ghostbusters reboot. I do hate the more recent ones.

The Wang bit, as discussed elsewhere, simply means field, as in the amusingly named Wetwang referring to a low-lying swampy stretch of grass.
This puzzles me a little, as Yer Acshul Wetwang is on a ridge of high ground (probably why there are so many Iron Age burials associated with it, visible for miles). So there may have been wet wangs in the valleys, but the village called Wetwang wouldn't have been wet at all.

Back