• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

light in the sky

J_Frank_Parnell

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
might as well post this as not i guess...

last sunday (may 28th) i was looking out of my window when i saw a very bright white light flying across the sky. initially i thought it was just a light aircraft that was reflecting the sun as it was flying in a straight line at the sort of speed you'd expect from a cesna or something. there was no engine sound i could hear but then maybe my window wasnt open.

the light was flying at a pretty normal small plane altitude, so that had it been a small private plane it would have appeared to be about 2-3 mm long, if you see what i mean. the light itself was very bright and very white.

however, after i tracked it for about three or four seconds, it suddenly disappeared. i scoured the sky but there was no aircraft there once the light was gone. the light and whatever was causing it just suddenly vanished.

Possible explanations are 1) a small plane reflecting the sun - it was a sunny day - but where did it go?

2) a meteroite or burning bit of space junk heating up and disintergrating. Perfectly possible and still quite a good event to catch in real life given the size of the sky. however, this thing was ascending, not descending.

this is the third time i've witnessed something unusual in the sky above the same place. one was a floating cigar-type thingy that was not a ballon and the other a very high altitutde white light zig-zagging across the sky. does this make it a flap?

and no, the planet venus does not explain any of theses sightings and neither does sleep paralysis, so all you sceptic skeptics out there don't even bother. i'm not saying any of these sightings were alien spacecraft but they certainly were not swamp gas, flying take away dishes, highly-reflective dogeggs or my nextdoor neighbour's nipples etc.

If a meteor as approaching from a radiant fairly low down on the horizon, it would seem to be ascending in the sky; in fact it might be descending at a fairly steep angle but passing overhead.

Was there any cloud? Did the object pass in front or behind that cloud? If behind the cloud it could be a meteor up to a hundred kilometers away. It is not possible to judge the altitude of a distant object unless you know the size of that object, or unless the object passes in front of something of known size or distance.

What time of day was the sighting? If it was twilight the object might have been an Iridium Flare; a satellite with shiny solar panels briefly reflecting the sunlight.

generally it was a blue sky. there were 2 small clouds that it went near but did not go in front of, through or behind. it was also about 4pm CET on a sunday afternoon.

i agree with wot u say about the distance. i initially thought it to be a light aircraft travelling at normal height, whatever that is. it didn't look like it was up with the satellites, but if it was up at that sort of altitude then it must have been huge or incredible shiny! it looked to be about the size of this emoticon i reckon: :D when i've seen satelites, they've looked more like the size of this full stop .

also, it was a brilliant white light, like burning magnesium. i'm no expert on meteorites but does this fit with them? the shooting stars i've seen have had a reddish/orange tinge. this was brilliant white.

also, this was not pasing overhead. i was watching 'side on' as it were and it lookied to be rising

i belive that i have seen the exact same thing, which direction was it flying? Im famillier with satalites, stars, meteor, comets as im a keen astronomer but i tell you what it was (most likly) The International Space Station "ISS". Its considerably larger than any satalite and also has solar sails which create large amounts of reflection as does the body of the space station. Where you said abouts satalites being like a faint "." quite correct and in comparrioson this was more like"O" brilliant white serenly crossing the sky.

see this site here for tracking of sats, comets, iss ect ect...

www.heavens-above.com

i was looking NNE and it was flying ESE to WNW. I will now have a look at that link and see if it was the ISS or giant hairy clams en route to an abduction. one moment please...

may 28 not covered unfortunately for the iss. however, none of the flight patterns for my neck of the woods happen in the daytime. all night jobbies, so i reckon its iss nil, giant hairy clams 1, so far. i'll check the others iridium jobbies next.

yes, the giant hairy clams have it! nothing seems listed for around 4pm cet. james randi, get yer bleedin wallet out!

and there we have it. conclusive proof of space aliens :lol:

nice link, though sir.

I will believe in space clams before I believe in Randi paying out on a post or two :lol: (nee: Mr Randell Zwinge)

Back