• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lightcraft

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

Sometime ago I had seen a report on Nasa's website about a new kind of ship called Lightcraft. The report, published on April 16, 1999, is here. Do you know where I could get more recent information about this disc-shaped ship?

See you,
Christiano

It was on telly a couple of years ago.
All they've done is build a small model that is propelled upwards by a high-powered laser. It all looks like cool science, but how they will scale it up to something useful I don't know.
I think it may be a dead-end project that won't get anywhere.

These things are basically beercans with a bog massive laser kicking them in the ass. I doubt that they're as heavy as hubcaps.

They start them spinning with compressed air for stabilty, then light off that fine legacy of SDI underneath it. IIRC they were flying about 30' up, and they were talking about going for 100'.

It looked like they had issues with the "device" sliding away from the beam. Apparently they have no active controls in the thing. Basically it's a gigantic science toy, with no practical use. Maybe it will give someone ideas, though.

Back