• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lincoln County Court Ghost Caught On Film?

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
(Thanks to Moooksta for the heads-up ;))

Is courthouse haunted?

by: Jon Mayhew

(12/13/2006)

(Click to enlarge - you can watch a report here)

People were concluding their day on Nov. 16 at the Lincoln County Courthouse when someone noticed what looked like a woman in the second floor cashier’s office around 5:15 p.m.

She appeared to be writing something down on a pad. A security guard and a bailiff walked upstairs to the business office, entered through the back, passed along the front of the office when something strange happened.

They walked right through the woman.

Moments later – on digital surveillance tape – what some have called a ghost appeared.

“We hear stuff in the building all the time,” said Lincoln County’s emergency management director, Susan Spake. “We all joke around that there’s a ghost in here after hours.”

While Spake said that the building is so old it “makes noises,” she admitted she hasn’t seen anything like this in the seven years she’s worked in Lincoln County.

Security guard David Blackburn said he’s been in the courthouse alone when he has heard footsteps.

“I knew I was the only one in the building, turning on lights,” said Blackburn, adding he watched the incident unfold in amazement from a security monitor.

“You hear about stuff like this all the time,” said Blackburn. “I’ve never seen anything like this.”

Blackburn said that there wasn’t anyone else in the office that day but himself; three officers; Register of Deeds Elaine Harmon; and bailiff Jeep Ford.

Robin Grigg has worked in the courthouse for 23 years and agreed with Blackburn.

She hasn’t seen anything like this before.

During the days when she would stay in the building late at night, she would hear humming and other noise.

“You’re the only one there,” said Grigg. “When I saw this on the tape, it was extremely eerie.”

Since news of the ghost flowed through courthouse offices, many people have asked Grigg if the courthouse is haunted.

“I’ve told them to see for themselves,” laughed Grigg. “Stay all night. That’s certainly something I wouldn’t do.”

One skeptic in the crowd who also saw the footage is district court judge Ali Paksoy.

He thought the image was actually burned on tape, until he learned the courthouse surveillance system is digital.

“I don’t know what explanation would be for this. I just don’t know,” said Paksoy, who’s in the courthouse two weeks out of each month. “I’ve never seen an image like this before.”

Paksoy said he doesn’t believe the courthouse is haunted.

Courthouse employee Barbara Jones respectfully disagreed with Paksoy.

She works in the office where the image was seen on camera and believes the courthouse is haunted.

One day, she came into work and discovered something unusual on her desk.

“My calendar had been moved several months back one day,” said Jones. “When I saw the image on the screen, that particular day popped back into my head.”

While she holds to belief that the courthouse is haunted, seeing the image on tape didn’t affect her one way or the other, even though the image was seen directly across the glass.

“The woman looked like she was standing there and writing something down,” said Jones. “I’ve named the ghost ‘Sally’ because I thought that was a nice name.”

Security guard Jerry Ervin is skeptical as well. Jeep Ford and himself actually went up to the second floor to be sure it was secure.

“We were making sure all the doors were locked and knew everyone had left,” said Ervin. “I asked Jeep to check the office out with me, so we walked in and out.”

Ervin and Ford were later told they walked right through the middle of the ghost. Ervin said he didn’t feel anything.

“I don’t believe it,” said Ervin. “All I know is when I went into the office, there wasn’t anybody there.”

lincolntimesnews.com

after watching the news report I have to say that I think it is a reflection.

I thought that from the photo. Is the footage available anywhere?

EDIT
I watched the news report on it. It's strange that people can walk right through it and then it shows up again for the News Film crew.

It's possible an image that has been burn't into the monitors of the CTVs. This can happen quite a lot, timecode numbers tend to leave a ghost image on the top of some monitors. Heck it's why we all have screen savers.

Why doesn't someone make a check of the camera and monitor?

Where are you "watching" the news report? Can't find a link to a video file?

The link in my original post works (eventually) - could it be your browser settings are blocking the clip?

Seen it. Pretty interesting. The image does look a little eerie to say the least, but the doubts kicked in when the EXACT same image appreared elsewhere in the building. Hmmmm.

definatly interesting! the report proves it to be a reflection, we interprit is as a human shape, but its like a human shape from a 1995 video game, has a lot of edges (low pointage vector object). i suspect its a reflection (as already proven) of paper/boxes/books/whatever. I also suspect a 5 minute investigation be someone sensible (eg NOT a news channel looking for a story) will solve it!

RealPaZZa said:
definatly interesting! the report proves it to be a reflection, we interprit is as a human shape, but its like a human shape from a 1995 video game, has a lot of edges (low pointage vector object). i suspect its a reflection (as already proven) of paper/boxes/books/whatever. I also suspect a 5 minute investigation be someone sensible (eg NOT a news channel looking for a story) will solve it!

ok, BUT .... if it is a reflection then its a contrived reflection, because the shape seen downstairs is exactly the same as the earlier one.

It has the eerie, rough indistinctness of all the really best security video ghost images.

I like the way the police walk past the image on the other side, apparently oblivious to its existence, or to anything that might be causing it.

A good one, as long as it lasts. :)

im not sure it was seen in a differant room, the report says they saw it AGAIN over somones shoulder, but didnt state where.

so its time to think, we know its a reflection, but what of? it has "squarish edges", maybe the reflection of something that pretty commonplace there, so perhaps a PC, monitor, printer, printer stand, fax, etc? computer hardware is left on at night, often with only the LEDs are showing power, such as a modem, fax or router. ive watched it again and the shape is not unlike a tall printer stand, but its too faint to tell (but it maybe something else),

i do get the impression the news report didnt want to "rain on their parade", which often local news has to be careful of, if they want co-operation in the future (after all if they broadcast the staff are idiots, how much co-operation will they get in the future?

i am realy convinced its a reflection of something we cant see in the room, possibly electronic hardware. i am also convinced a serious researcher would have it solved in minutes, if not seconds.

I have my doubts that it's a human figure as well. It could be something as prosaic as somebody's coat hanging up. Perhaps if it was moving around it would be more convincing as an entity.

RealPaZZa said:
i am also convinced a serious researcher would have it solved in minutes, if not seconds.

Serious researcher? Really? I reckon that even Yvette 'what the hell is she wearing now?' Fielding, 'stupid' Stuart, and David 'who ate all the pies?'Wells could sort this out in seconds!

RealPaZZa said:

i am realy convinced its a reflection of something we cant see in the room, possibly electronic hardware. i am also convinced a serious researcher would have it solved in minutes, if not seconds.
How very reassuring.

"A serious researcher"? The Amazing Randi, juggling his magic balls, perhaps?

It's always good to have faith in something, even if it's just in debunking. :madeyes:

i was being polite, instead of my usual "put on size 14 boots and storm in", but seeing as others started it - an idiot can solve it in seconds! The coat suggestion is a good thought!!!!

nobody's mentioned so far that the image is scary to an almost contrived level, surely it's a bit too "horror movie" to be real? she has a slack mouth, staring eyes, lank hair, like a japanese movie ghost. is it just me who gets this impression?

RealPaZZa said:
i was being polite, instead of my usual "put on size 14 boots and storm in", but seeing as others started it - an idiot can solve it in seconds! The coat suggestion is a good thought!!!!
Quite possibly, but it's still quite touching to read of such simple and yet fervent faith in the power of debunking.

I still think it's a great webcam ghost image, whether coat, or spook. :D

it gave me the creeps as well CodenameThrow, i agree that you can see/imagine a slack mouth and lank hair. but then the little faces in the wallpaper in my bedroom used to scare me as a kid even though i knew they were just garlands of flowers. that wallpaper was really ugly.

the image looks too flat to be anything but a relection. most 'ghost' fotos at least have some level of depth and roundness

Can someone work up a high definition still shot of the apparition? My "technology" wont play these movies.

CodenameThrow said:
nobody's mentioned so far that the image is scary to an almost contrived level, surely it's a bit too "horror movie" to be real? she has a slack mouth, staring eyes, lank hair, like a japanese movie ghost. is it just me who gets this impression?

good thought!

we havent considered another answer yet - A HOAX! maybe someones put a picture somewhere that is reflected in the glass???????

Place is alive with spooks...sorry reflections....the ghostly note taker looks decidedly deformed!

refelctions.jpg

looking at the reflection again, with the red lines drawn around it, it looks like someone playing a guitar to me!

RealPaZZa said:
looking at the reflection again, with the red lines drawn around it, it looks like someone playing a guitar to me!

Isn't that a pantomime horse in the middle??? Now THERE's a first. :lol:

JackDark said:

I'd dispute that, didn't BBC TV's Rentaghost have a pantomime horse? However I cannot recall if it was a ghost or some sort of dimensional being.
Nor am I going to spend time looking.

Moooksta said:
JackDark said:

I'd dispute that, didn't BBC TV's Rentaghost have a pantomime horse? However I cannot recall if it was a ghost or some sort of dimensional being.

Yes, Dobbin was a ghost pantomime horse. It could teleport and everything.

We now return you to your scheduled programme.

gncxx said:
Moooksta said:
JackDark said:

Yes, Dobbin was a ghost pantomime horse. It could teleport and everything.

We now return you to your scheduled programme.

Hmmm, ok then, it's the first time that Dobbin has been spotted off the set of Rentaghost. 8)

The note taker...don't you find the angles just too perfect, the line of the arm too smooth.

AND LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THE HOOTER!!

Back