• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Line Rage: Newest Antisocial Behavior

MrRING

Android Futureman
LINK
'Line-Rage' at Athens Restaurant
Written By: Kevin Rowson

Athens-Clarke County Police have located a woman who allegedly tried to run over two people after a dispute in a McDonald’s restaurant. Police say an argument started inside the restaurant over who was next in line.

Linda Thomas and her daughter Melinda say they went to McDonalds on Saturday morning to get a breakfast burrito and two chicken biscuits before they held a yard sale at their house. They were standing in a long line when another cash register opened up.

Linda Thomas says she and her daughter were third in line when the other cash register opened. She says she looked at the woman in front of her and moved over to the new line. “I just went over there because she stood there and did nobody move to go over there and get in the line that just opened,” Thomas said. “So when we went over to get in the line that opened that’s when it all started.”

What started was an argument between the woman in front of them and Linda and Melinda. Athens-Clarke County Police Lieutenant Mike McKeel said “There were some words exchanged, and apparently a threat was made by the suspect.” Melinda Thomas says the woman threatened to kill her.

The argument was only the beginning. As the Thomas' walked out of the restaurant with their breakfast burrito and chicken biscuits, the woman they cut in front of backed her car up right in front of them. “We thought it was over. Melinda Thomas said. “We went out and we almost made it to the car and we heard the wheels squealing.”

According to a police incident report, at least three witnesses verified what the Thomas’ say happened next. The suspect vehicle steered right toward them. Linda Thomas said, “It hit my daughter in the side and it knocked my cell phone out of my hand and it just went flying.”

Police say the vehicle bumped the victims but did not injure them seriously. Athens-Clarke County Police spent the weekend looking for a woman described as in her twenties, driving a dark-colored Jeep.

They found her and interviewed her this afternoon. Lt. Mckeel says police are not releasing her name until they figure out what charges will be filed in the case.

The moral of the story - don't get between hungry people and their chicken biscuit!

Yup, we were laughing recenty when exactly the same happened to us in Burger King. There is this stupid queing system which has evolved only recently, where one queue becomes many. Its not law, its sheepism. So when another till opened we went to that one. A women ahead of us started swearing at us as if her life depended on it. We let her go ahead of us, telling her that it wasn't really that important to us but she wouldn't shut up. Her face was read and she promised us that her husband would beat us up etc. Soon others started as well, the strange thing was that they were on our side and also hated the current system and told the woman to eff off. Well, we enjoyed the little tirade, like you enjoy watching monkeys throwing their excrement, but that woman was dead serious.

Line-rage, definitely exists. Sad but true.

Queues aren't law or sheepism. They're there to keep the peace, and only work because queuees accept them.

You say she was ahead of you.

Getting irate about being in the 'wrong' supermarket or post office queue or the etiquette about what happens when a new counter position is opened is hardly a new social gripe really is it? Just because it is happening in fast food restaurants doen't make it any different from the same minor annoyance that was the sort of standard fare of stand-up comics long before 'alternative comedians', themselves now gnarled establishment has-beens, ever took to the stage. And people getting homicidal about the tiniest little thing is hardly new either - there's at least one story per FT about some bloke who shot his brother over who's turn it was to make a brew or something.

So I take issue with 'newest anti-social behaviour'.

And anyway you are arguably better off under the wheels of someone's stationwagon in the parking lot for queuing rules violation than shitting into a bag through a hole in your side for the last twenty years of your life from eating that crap.

Yup, I bet you don't get line-rage at the ProBiotic Vegan Bar. :D

"No way, man .... I definitely ordered *my* beanshoot and beetroot smoothie first!"
:splat:

Oh nooo, you Scorpios are so anal!

May your karma repay you for that remark!
Now get out of my aura, your aggressive vibes are souring my soy-curd!

Actually I had my FT and Strange Death book pinched by the girl behind the counter in a groovy health food shop once. I was on the dole at the time and had just been to pick up my giro and bought FT as a bit of a treat and I think the book was free with it for some reason, then nipped into On The Eighth Day to buy some TVP or something equally foul. I put my FT (unread, expensive luxury) and the book down on the counter while I fiddled for the right change or something and forgot to pick it up before I left. I remembered almost as soon as I got out of the door and went straight back in but it wasn't there, the girl swore blind she'd not seen it and there wasn't another soul in the shop. That made me cross. But I was too polite to say anything beyond 'are you sure I didn't leave it here?' a couple of times.

I bet you got Satan to claim her. A nastything to do though, stealing your FT & book. But maybe some malign spirit grabbed it.

It was just the irony/hypocracy that got to me really. While I suppose I could have been mistaken and lost it elsewhere, or it might have fallen through to another dimension or something, the most obvious explanation seemed to be that the right-on young workers' co-operative vegetarian behind the counter at the radical ethical wholefood and all round righteousness shop had blatantly robbed it.

I might have wished some karmic revenge on her, but then you could argue losing it in the first place might have been part of mine for eating all those cute animals over the years. Tricky thing about karma, that. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone, and all that.

Still, the devil *does* look after his own :D

The universe forgives. We hold the grudges on its behalf, against ourselves. It is out of our hands.

I don't like it when people hover in between two queues while they dither around deciding which one to join. Although maybe that only ever happens at my local Tescos. The tills are squashed so close together that adjacent queues tend to get entangled with each other at the best of times, and all it takes is a couple of 'ditherers' for the whole system to break down.

People don't seem to queue up for buses like they used to, either. You used to get uniformly straight lines behind bus stops, but now people seem to hover around them in a kind of loose scrum, then they all try to get on the bus at once. I expect that kind of behaviour on the London Underground, but not at bus stops.

I think that may have something to do with one bus stop being served by half a dozen different buses, or a group of two or more stops right next to each other that are each served by a bus that would take you to your destination - so people don't know which stop to wait at.

This is interesting, I just finished reading
Lynne Truss' "Talk to the Hand" which humorously
points out the breakdown in manners in BOTH the UK and US.

In short, we falsely have the feeling that we are still
in private when out in public. The reactions we get
are fear-based because someone feels their private
world has been intruded upon. Manners used to be
the lubricant that would help both parties acknowledge
each other while also "agreeing" to keep their distance.

I have seen drive-thru rage in action. Weird -- but
unfortunately not unexpected!

TVgeek

Back