• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Link to recent Dimitri Bayanov "hominology" articl

Some thoughts about Bayanov’s article (putting them here in a separate post – lack skill in posting links; kind friend has given me a tutorial thereon – but have waited to be sure that my posting of the link had worked, before going further). The article concerned, was recently posted on the forum Cryptozoology.com – found it interesting enough to seem worth relaying.

Interesting regardless, I feel, of how far – if at all – one agrees with the author’s ideas. Of particular fascination to me was the section dealing with the 17th-century Italian theologian Luigi Maria Sinistrari, and his treatise. I find it a little surprising that this gentleman has not attained greater fame in cryptozoological circles, or indeed elsewhere. He states, seemingly with great certainty, that as well as genuine evil spirits / demons which can assume “hairy ape” form; there exist (he seems to be talking in a context of Europe) flesh-and-blood hairy bipedal creatures which are brutish cousins of man. According to Sinistrari, these creatures “have like man a body and a soul, which like man are born and die, which are redeemed by Our Saviour Jesus Christ and capable of salvation and damnation.” He adduces as supposed proof of this, that his mysterious hairy bipeds as described, are immune to exorcism. He says that they “meet exorcism with a grin,” or even “beat up exorcists and tear up sacred clothes”. (There would seem to have been some fascinating “encounter” stories behind all this – if only !) He concludes thence, “they are not evil spirits nor angels, nor are they human beings even though they are endowed with reason”.

Sinistrari gives a collection of characteristic traits of MHB, echoed by much more-recent lore on the subject. They seek out sexual intercourse with hom. sap. sap. – from such intercourse, children are born who, when grown up, become very tall, strong and daring. MHBs’ vocalisation resembles whistling. They are attracted by horses and like to plait their manes; they throw stones, and pile them up. It is very difficult to see MHB, they being seen either by chance or their own volition. MHB are capable of feeling and suffering, but being very swift and nimble in avoiding danger, it is surprising that they get killed or injured at all. This can happen when they are asleep, or in some other inadvertent way.

Who’d have thought that a 17th-century bod would have something to contribute re the often vexed question of “why no Bigfoot roadkill?”

It crossed my mind that Sinistari might just have been a hoaxer – not taking his Church with the greatest of seriousness, and using it to publish stuff, “just for the heck of it” – of whose total truth, shall we say, he was not convinced. Otherwise, one assumes that he must have been fully persuaded of the truth of the material about which he wrote – maybe worth a bit of pondering?

An IMO odd thing – Sinistrari’s “take” (never encountered by me set out so plain and clear, anywhere else) that MHB are from a theological point of view quasi-humans, subject to salvation / damnation, and potential redemption via Christ. One wonders: how come the Catholic Church, centuries ago, was not avid in sending out missionaries to minister to, and if possible bring into the fold of “the faithful”, MHB? They’ve always been very zealous in this, re all-kinds-and-conditions of hom. sap. sap.

Back