• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lion Hunt In Germany

eziofan

Ephemeral Spectre

Police search for suspected lion roaming Berlin area​

By Antoinette Radford
BBC News

German authorities are searching for what they believe is a wild lioness that was reportedly spotted in the south-western outskirts of Berlin.

Authorities were first alerted to the animal's presence after several people - including a police office - saw it chasing a boar.

On Wednesday, a video on Twitter which police believe is real appeared to show a lioness in a forest in Kleinmachnow.

Residents are being told to stay indoors until the animal is found.

If it is a lioness, it is unclear where it came from. Local zoos, animal sanctuaries and circuses have said no lions have escaped from their facilities.

"We don't know where it came from," a police spokesperson told local media.

Brandenburg police told residents in Kleinmachnow, Teltow and Stahnsdorf to stay indoors in the early hours of Thursday morning due to the threat of an "escaped wild animal", but later tweeted: "The wild animal could be a lioness. The warning area has now been extended to the south of Berlin."

Source & Full Story:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66254908

Last edited by a moderator:
Loose lioness chases boar. Police hope to reunite her with the rest of the team.

German authorities are searching for what they believe is a wild lioness that was reportedly spotted in the south-western outskirts of Berlin.

Authorities were first alerted to the animal's presence after several people - including a police office - saw it chasing a boar.

On Wednesday, a video on Twitter which police believe is real appeared to show a lioness in a forest in Kleinmachnow.

Residents are being told to stay indoors until the animal is found.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66254908

I am very suspicious that the video cuts off. And that it was sourced from Twitter (a wretched hive of scum and villainy).
Presumably the police verified the location? The road and tree layout look distinctive enough if anyone turns up to check.

Presumably the police verified the location? The road and tree layout look distinctive enough if anyone turns up to check.
I would not presume this. It would be good if there was a German speaker who could give an update. An awful lot gets lost in translation.

Indeed. German police are devoid of a sense of humour.

Apparently the British Government has contacted the German Embassy to offer zoological assistance.

As yet, however, there has been no response from Das Team Des Botschafters.

That's way more convincing than the usual big cat reports (f the video was actually taken in the location claimed. )
Yep. We know that lions exist, and that sometimes they escape, or are released, into the wild.
Here's Felicity, a puma who lived in the wild in Scotland for a while in 1980.
640px-Felicity_Inverness_Museum.JPG

But it is very rare.

Apparently the British Government has contacted the German Embassy to offer zoological assistance.

As yet, however, there has been no response from Das Team Des Botschafters.

I'm probably missing something but that seems to refer to the (male) ambassador's team?

The story even made the National News here in Australia this evening. Must be a slow news day.

Meanwhile a German crook loves those lion eyes.

A member of a notorious German crime family has offered his help in capturing a suspected escaped lioness in the southern outskirts of Berlin.

Police have been searching for more than a day after being notified about a wild animal on the loose but have yet to find it.
Now, the son of the head of the Remmo family has said he can "lead the lioness back to her enclosure".
Firas Remmo has urged the authorities not to shoot the creature.

In a post on social media, he asked for anyone with information about the animal's whereabouts to "let him know first" so he can step in "before some idiot shoots her".

It is not the first time he has been linked to big cats. In December, he posted a video online of himself and a tiger cub featuring the caption "my new favourite pet", prompting a police investigation.

It is still not clear if the animal being sought is a lioness as no paw-prints or DNA material, such as animal waste, have been found in the areas where the animal was supposedly spotted.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66265874

Meanwhile a German crook loves those lion eyes.

A member of a notorious German crime family has offered his help in capturing a suspected escaped lioness in the southern outskirts of Berlin.

Police have been searching for more than a day after being notified about a wild animal on the loose but have yet to find it.
Now, the son of the head of the Remmo family has said he can "lead the lioness back to her enclosure".
Firas Remmo has urged the authorities not to shoot the creature.

In a post on social media, he asked for anyone with information about the animal's whereabouts to "let him know first" so he can step in "before some idiot shoots her".

It is not the first time he has been linked to big cats. In December, he posted a video online of himself and a tiger cub featuring the caption "my new favourite pet", prompting a police investigation.

It is still not clear if the animal being sought is a lioness as no paw-prints or DNA material, such as animal waste, have been found in the areas where the animal was supposedly spotted.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66265874
There was so much assumption and supposition in these articles from the press. Then people who read it assume that framing and think the guesses are fact. I suppose it's normal to be cautious but the odds are that this was a lion were so slim. It caused such a stir. I was glad to see many skeptical residents saying they weren't worried. The police response might have been good for public relations. But it cost a lot of money and perhaps took attention from real emergencies.

Do you guys know the children's story about the three thieves and their pet lion?

I suspect the locals may have had one too many of these 'Lion Brews'.

More seriously, this had 'a load of old bollocks' written all over it from the get-go. I could, at a pinch, accept a smaller member of the big cat family on the prowl in the more wooded areas of Berlin.

But a fully grown lioness?

If that had been a-prowlin' it would have ended badly for somebody or some wildlife/pets/livestock etc.

712GlXGpDQL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

Back