• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Living Diplocaulus?

hmmmm.... truely intriguing... any verification photographs or expert commentary??? where was it found!

Search: It does seem resolutely free of provenance.

One thing though - the head of Diplocaulus tends to be much more swept back than that - forming more of an A than a 'boomerang' although I'm sure there was a lot of variation.

Emperor said:
One thing though - the head of Diplocaulus tends to be much more swept back than that - forming more of an A than a 'boomerang' although I'm sure there was a lot of variation.

And a good few million years of evolution on top of that!

Seem to recall seeing sets of prehistoric plastic chelonians, amphibians, arthropods etc., for sale at toy stores a few years back, and as this looks quite like a plastic toy, perhaps this might explain the origin of the bucket-critter pictured.

Emperor said:
Search: It does seem resolutely free of provenance.

I'm not too worried about it being a photochop as much as someone with a pet salamander and a little too much time, or even a resin model done really well. I wish there were more pictures, documentation, and possibly accredation. it looks very real, and authentic, but descriptions do not make conclusions.

On a hunch, I did a search for "boomeran head salamander", and found this discussion where someome mentions living members of the species in the Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta (page 3 of that discussion). I think it looks very good and could be a photoshop or model work. I am betting that if it was real, they would at least taken another picture of it.

--------------

Dang!!! I forgot to post the link. Give a few secs.... Here it is:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21372

Sorry

This doesn´t look like a toy to me. We have salamanders in a pond in the garden, and it looks like the same to me. The skin looks rather salamander like, that sort of slick wetness and you do seem to be able to see a kind of bone structure. Look at the way the left front leg is away from the body, strange posture to make a toy in. But the toes do look oddly stumpy I think.

You're all missing something obvious - the thing only just fits in the bucket, as if the creature has bent it's body to fit the cramped space. If it was a toy made without consideration of the container, then to fit that snugly would be a fluke. If it is a fake, I reckon it's been cleverly thought out. However, I reckon it's photoshoppable...

Evilsprout said:
It isn't specified, just the photo was found "on the Internet" which I find a bit suspicious.
Only a bit?? I find it extremely suspicious. :p

And finding a container to fit your cool rubber toy wouldn't be that hard would it?

edit-Good job though. And putting in on the net without explanation means the maker can absolve themselves from blame from anyone choosing to think it is real. I can't think why anyone finding a REAL cryptid would want to keep it so secret.

Unless the person who took it didn't see any significance, just posted it online as a "look at this cool animal I found" kind of thing, like people do sometimes with unusual, but perfectly mundane, creatures.

But I can't help thinking if you found something like that on the Internet, you'd share with people where you'd found it on the Internet...

edit - sent an email to the person who posted it on Cryptozoology.com, hopefully they can tell me where they found it.

This thing is absolutely beautiful, and VERY realistic, but it seems... "heavy" to me. This may not make sense to anyone else, but when I look at this thing it looks too solid or something. It's like it's molded in place. I don't get the feeling that it's capable of moving or bending for some reason. I don't know how else I can put it, that's just the impression that I get from looking at it. Also, the toes don't seem very realistic. They don't look like they have joints or anything.

i recon sidecar jon made and posted it really ;) :D

It is possible, certainly more likely than any extant pleiosaurs or pterasaurs.

Without a bit more information, though... Where are the TV news crews, press, and serious cryptozoologists?

It's that San Antonio "chupacabras" all over again.

Hmmm.......looks vaguely credible. Is or was there such thing as a "hammer headed salammander"?

There was one many millions of years ago, that´s the one they are talking about called Diplocaulus.

Merrick said:
There was one many millions of years ago, that´s the one they are talking about called Diplocaulus.

ah, sorry - I was reading it as "diplodocus" Wondered why it was billed as a dinosaur but looked like a newt!

Does this animal really exist?

Professor Patrick J. Schembri, Department of Biology, University of Malta, Msida.

Over the last two or three weeks, I have been sent the accompanying picture at least nine times by different persons who had received it over the Internet and who wanted more information about the creature depicted.

A number of versions of this picture seem to be doing the rounds. The most common has accompanying text that says that this creature occurs at Il-Maghluq in Marsascala, while another version says that this animal was photographed at Bahrija. I am invariably asked if this is a real discovery or if it is a hoax, whether such an animal actually exists, whether it is a salamander or a lizard, and whether this is a native or an alien species.

The short answer to all these queries is that yes, this is a hoax, but the animal shown really exists, or rather, it has existed, since it became extinct about 270 million years ago.

The picture itself is a hoax that seems to have originated overseas, although I have not been able to trace where. The image might be of a model or it might be a doctored image created digitally. The animal shown is a type of early amphibian called Diplocaulus that is distinguished by two elongated bones at the back of the skull that in life gave the animal a very odd, boomerang-shaped head.

Diplocaulus lived some 270 million years ago, long before the dinosaurs appeared, and its fossils have been found in North America. Although not a salamander but rather a member of a now extinct group of amphibians called nectridians, Diplocaulus very much resembles a modern salamander apart for its head.

The very distinctive head may have been an adaptation against predators, since the wide head would make Diplocaulus difficult to swallow, or it may have aided the animal to swim by acting as a hydrofoil. Like most other early amphibians, Diplocaulus lived in or near water. It probably fed on insects or fish. It was also considerably larger than the image doing the rounds suggests, since fossils as large as 80 cm in length have been discovered.

Discovering a live Diplocaulus at Il-Maghluq would certainly be a major scientific discovery rivalling the discovery of the coelacanth. Unfortunately, this is science fiction!

Source

This blog has tracked down the images oriigns:

The image originated from the website of a Japanese model maker, who has it shown on one his webpages. Along with the picture, the artist explains it was a model made for a magazine contest, some time ago already. He initially made the model with clay, then made a plaster cast, and finally created the final model with plastic. He speaks about a problem with the plaster cast, which made the resulting plastic model full of bubbles.

Of course you'd need to be able to speak Japanese to have tracked it down (and to understand the page) but it does appear to be problem solved.

Back