• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Looking For Aircraft-Mounted Spotlight Information

Junopsis

Ephemeral Spectre
So I'm at the end of Google usefulness, and I feel like this should be an easier topic. Maybe someone here knows.
There's a long page of UFO records relating to a specific New York location here. Even lacking context, you're going down a rabbit hole if you read it, although you might enjoy that too. (There is some cool stuff that looks like plasma balls to me, in the Hessdalen lights sort of sense, but anyway-- I was nostalgic for some good 90s-style UFOlogy I guess). One of the things included are frames from a video of a plane. It's asserted to be a black manta-type UFO, although to me it sure looks like it's a small plane with a taillight.
What I'm interested in is that it's got swiveling spotlights mounted on the wingtips. I can't really seem to Google myself up any knowledge of spot- or search-lights that are mounted on planes, nor if landing lights customarily are able to do that. Absent any proper video files, I made a .gif of the presented frames (it's faster than it should be, though) :
Anyone with more knowledge on planes willing to chime in on what those are, what planes use them, and what they're called? I wouldn't be surprised if this is super normal light behavior, I just expected it to be easier to google up what's going on there with something like 'plane wing-mounted spotlight swivel' and haven't had any luck (I might be falling into the "so normal nobody bothers talking about it" category). It's all ground-mounted anti-air spotlights and helicopter-mounted search-and-rescue or police stuff.

Last edited:
Those are swiveling wing-mounted landing lights on a multi-engine aircraft. They automatically swivel into a forward position when activated on approach to an airfield.

Because they're used at night when flying low over dark terrain, the swiveling motion allows them to illuminate the terrain beneath the aircraft as they move to illuminate the way forward. This gives the pilot a moving spotlight to check clearance (just in case).

I've also heard that the swiveling format was used to stow wing-mounted lights during flight to reduce the chance of their being damaged (e.g., from a bird strike).

I've seen them swivel into position both as a ground observer (sometimes directly out front, sitting on the end of the runway) and as a passenger with a window seat.

Whether or not landing lights swivel is a feature of the particular aircraft. I'm accustomed to seeing the swiveling versions on smaller airliners (i.e., the sort used for regional flights into smaller airports).

Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing them as often as I did up to 50 years ago. For all I know the shift from incandescent to LED / HID lights might have something to do with them becoming less common.

Last edited:
Thank you! See, I figured it should be pretty mundane-- still can't Google (or duckduckgo) myself up examples. Ugh. Terminology...

To complete the light inventory in the picture ... This aircraft has two taxi lights on its nose, a belly marker flasher, and a white tail marker lamp (probably on the vertical tailfin). I have no idea where the video was captured, but the light configuration is consistent with US / FAA requirements.

Back