• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lord Of The Rings Film

I didn't say I didn't like whitesnake or any of those bands, I do find them funny ;) I was pointing out that rap doesn't have the monopoly on anti-female sentiment.

IJ - sorry, that was out of order - I should have said WCP (white celtic protestant) :blah:

Back on topic?

IMHO LOTR film was excellent.

Off topic - There seem to ne a lot of people who want to bed hobbits - is that legal? And when is somebody going to admit that they wouldn't mind a bit of an orc or goblin. Women seem to like a bit of rough every so often, don't they? :D

Personally I wouldn't want to bed a hobbit, too small!

Luce

Personally I wouldn't want to bed a hobbit, too small!

I always thought the fact that they had such big feet was indicative of something...

Maybe it is just the Freudian in me trying to get out.

thanks

Uncle Bulgaria ( Size 12 paws and proud of them )

You know what they say -

Big Nose, big handkerchief!!

rynner said:
You know what they say -

Big Nose, big handkerchief!!

Ok one of the contestants on Blind Date said that (please excuse my random babblings).

Luce

I just wanted to say that I think it's interesting you're all having such a conversation about one of the few immensely successful movies in the entire industry that doesn't draw heavily on sex appeal. :rolleyes:

I know I'm about a month late to join in, but I only saw the movie yesterday.

I really enjoyed it. I haven't read the books, but the film definitely made me want to go out and buy it, for several reasons:
a) to explain the bits where I went 'huh?'
b) because I suspect the long lingering shots of beautiful locations are matched with even more beautiful descriptions in the book
c) because I can't wait a whole year to know what happens next!
I had read the Silmarillion (not sure about the spelling, there), but that was about 15 years ago. All I can remember is that it was challenging prose and a rather sad story, but I enjoyed it a lot and will definitely read it again.

I have to admit the length of the movie meant I got a bit fidgety around the moment when the fellowship sets off, but then I got into it again.
There were a few times when I thought, 'yes, lovely scenery, beautiful people, now can we get on with the story'. And I have to admit I still don't see the relevance of the part with Cate Blanchett - apart from the fact that she was one of the original 'minor ring' owners and that she was tempted by the Ring too.
And finally, the girl who came to see it with me and isn't really into fantasy did admit she'd have to go back and ask a friend about the orcs, the elves, etc. 'cause she didn't know what they were.

Aside from these small details, I thought it was wonderful, the actors were damn good and I loved it! And the bad guys were really scary - the Black riders, yikes! :eek!!!!:

And yes, most of the male cast was yummy, although I have to admit I was more interested in the elves and the humans than the hobbits, cute as they may have been.
Besides, Froddo got on my nerves at the start of the film because he kept on opening his eyes wide and the cynic in me thought 'yes, you're wide-eyed and innocent, we got the message!'. But that's just me.
To take up on Ninja's remark, I wasn't particularly attracted to the goblins or the orcs, but the goblin-orc warriors were strangely attractive. Maybe I'm weird.

And on another note, I saw the trailer for the second Star Wars movie and thought 'eew, fluffy love scenes and couples wandering in meadows - where's the action and the special effects?'. So, since I thought the first episode wasn't that great, I won't be going to see the second one.

NEIL said:
...let's face it, American kids are not good actors

Now that I'm hyper-sensitive to Yank-bashing (and until I'm in a better mood), I feel the need to underscore casual, broadly-drawn, incorrect and negative remarks about my country/men.

My apologies to all those who don't share these views.

Actually, I was under the inmpression that American kids were damn good actors generally. They're just jealous, Minor, pay no attention to them.

I don't know about that either, Sally. I'm not one who cottons to child actors generally.

It's tough not to pay attention when the bashing is so omnipresent. Present company excepted--hell, most people on the board!

You're right Minor, it is seen as OK in our society to have a go at Americans, the French, the Welsh and as Sally must have noticed, the Belgians. I've never understood this. But then I create a hoo-haa when ever anyone tells an Irish joke (unless they're Irish) or a disabled joke (unless they're disabled). Which makes me a miserable old bag, apparently :)
This message board wouldn't be anything like as entertaining without you lot. We do value your different perspective.

I've just remembered that is the LOTR thread
My 14 year old niece has made a remarkable transformation thanks to this film. She was completely out of control, to the extent that she was attacking her mum with blunt objects, staying out all night, doing awful things generally. Then she saw LOTR, and saw it again, and again, and gradually started to turn into a person again. She's just finished reading the book, which has stunned and delighted everyone. She was looking up words in the dictionary! Before, she used to threaten to hit us with the dictionary!
And it's all down to Orlando Bloom's bum apparently. :)

beakboo said:
... Then she saw LOTR, and saw it again, and again, and gradually started to turn into a person again.....And it's all down to Orlando Bloom's bum apparently.

Hmm. I find this very interesting. Someone ought to investigate this phenomenon further. It may hold an answer to society's problem of our degrading youth. There may be more to the human buttocks than we ever imagined...

Yes, Phwooarr-lando's buttocks are not to be sniffed at ....

Sorry if there seems to be some anti-Americanism on these boards, Minor Drag, you're right to object. I know I made a comment on 'clean living Americans' in the cocktail bar but it was just a tiny tease, not meant to be offensive. I have a couple of American friends who were initially quite scandalized at the sight of pissed-up Brit teenagers. They're getting used to it now.

I thought the Americans and Australians in LOTR had fabulous English accents, indistinguishable from the real thing. Arwen sounded a little Germanic at times, maybe that's accurate for an elf? I loved that character though, if the book had been written now I expect she'd have been one of the Fellowship.

I was delighted to see LOTR won the BAFTA for best film. It really is fantastic, watching it I felt the same sense of wonder and awe I felt as a little girl, before I got all cynical and sneery. Its worth five quid to halt my cynicism for three hours.

there's a big difference between irritating, precocious, preened teens and genuine acting talent. Whilst the majority of child stars in hollywood fit into the former there are many notable exceptions. Caleb in American Gothic, christina ricci, Haley Joel Osment, thora birch etc all display great talent.

Also as there are less british films in general it's hard to make a comparrison - however bristish TV has Grange hill, eastenders and the like, all with a fair smattering of real talent - Todd carty's Tucker and the guy that played Zammo spring to mind (means nothing to our US counteparts I fear!)

IMO the best child actor in Britain is Jack P Shepherd from Coronation Street. Once seen, never forgotton.

What part does he play, Beakboo?

Carole

IMO the best child actor in Britain is Jack P Shepherd from Coronation Street. Once seen, never forgotton.

Is that Martin and Gail's progeny? 'Oh no! Me rabbit!'

Cursed said:
Is that Martin and Gail's progeny? 'Oh no! Me rabbit!'
That's the chap. Young Beelzebub, as the TV guide would have it.

What a tawdry, turgid bit of appalling celluloid. I have to say LOTR was a real disappointment.

Sure the scenery is fab, sure the special effects were astounding, but that did not make up for the fact that the film was an hour and a half too long, the acting way over hammed, the plot dragged terribly, blah blah blah.

Every time the elves hoved into view I felt the need to garotte myself out of utter boredom. The Shire is a place I would never want to visit out of fear of utter despondency and depression.

The soundtrack made everything sound so over-dramatic - they dragged the a**e out of every relative moment. I wanted Sam to drown just so the film would end a few minutes earlier,but oh no, cue artistic scene of him passing out under water, a rousing (ha!) score striking up and Frodo (bless 'im) reaching down in slow motion to drag him out of the water.

When Boromir gets three arrows in him you just want to shout 'hurry up and die - you're boring me!'

When Frodo says 'I'll take the ring to Mordor' you just wanted to get up and say 'great, can we go home now?'

On the plus side, and this is by no means a saving grace of the film, the half hour trek through The Mines of Moria was excellent. Gandalfs fall and his last words to the fellowship ('Run, you fools!') were the best bit of cinematography in the whole film.

At the end of the film my partner was crying, not because of the emotion inspired by it, but because she feared another turgid scene was about to rear it's ugly head and she couldn't take it anymore. I have never seen anyone bored to tears before. LOTR was a unique experience in that I saw that the turn of phrase can happen literally.

Here are some comments I heard from other members of the audience as we left the cinema:

'I never want to see that again.'

'That was so boring!'

'3 hours? It felt like 5!!!'

Folks, this film is a bitter disappointment - avoid it at all costs.

Not even 'The Phantom Menace' or 'Judge Dredd' was this bad...

I'm not just dissing it for the sake of it - my family reputation is at stake here too. Did I tell you my cousin was one of the set designers on the film? The jammy get came back from New Zealand loaded!

Seriously though, I've also read the book, and while I'm not a huge fan I do know it quite well. I realise that getting any book turned into a film can be very difficult, and the director is always fighting a semi-losing battle, as his vision of the book can be radically different to a lot of others. Maybe that's what happened with me - went in with very high expectations and was disappointed.

But then maybe not.

If you are into stunning vistas, cracking special effects and a rousing musical score, fine. However, I feel that if you enjoy well scripted and well acted films I really don't think this is the one for you. Obviously the film had to follow closely the plot of the book, which doesn't help much (long breaks of nothing much followed by a bit of trekking about, with some more nothing much - thrown in a few battles and a dash through a dwarvish mine for good measure etc) but there seemed to be very little humour involved, the acting was leaden and overhammed and the joy of it all seemed to have been squeezed out by over dramatisation.

It's a shame I stand by the principle that when I pay five quid to get in somewhere I damn well sit it out to the bitter end - I always make sure I get my moneys worth. Must be the Scottish in me... Seriously though, I feel that anyone who walks out of a film halfway through has no right to criticise it - laud it or denigrate it. I always like to give anything a fair chance and see it through to the end. I was just so hoping that it would draw me in and mesmerise me, but it didn't, and it's such a shame my tightfistedness wouldn't let me get up and leave.

So there... Phew! I'm glad I got that little lot off my chest!!! :D :D :D

Ive read the books and I thought that the film version was excellent....however I do hav one little complaint...(forgiv me if someone has already made this one, cos I wasnt bothered to read all the 17 pages in this thread!):

WHERE WAS TOM BOMBADIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll say it again

I mean, why? Why leave him out?
Im sure u can tell im dissapointed...anyway, did anyone notice the less than subtle Marijuana references in the film?
When Bilbo and Gandalf are smoking after the party, Bilbo sais "This is the best weed in the Shire" (of course, we can tell cos bilbo blows a smoke ring and then Gandalf blows a ship that pierces it.....now, honestly, its so obvious these guys are stoned).

Also, how about that bit when Sarumon says to Gandalf "I think your fondness for the Halflings leaf has slowed your mind"...hmmm

Oh yes, digressing slightly, I have finally opened my Easter Egg (yes I know im slightly late, this year). It was a giant Kindergarten one...I thoroughly recommend them for next year....the toy was bloody amazing: A smurfmobile!!! (smurf included!!)

I really am going to regret this...

Paracleitos said:
I'll say it again
You won't like me for saying this but IMO Tom Bombadil was superflous and annoying in the book, and was rightly left out of the film. Everytime I reread the book I leave out that chapter.
He was the JarJar of LOTR.

beakboo said:
You won't like me for saying this but IMO Tom Bombadil was superflous and annoying in the book, and was rightly left out of the film. Everytime I reread the book I leave out that chapter.
He was the JarJar of LOTR.

Do you skip the "Fog On The Downs"(probably the eiriest(sp) bit in the hole book) bit as well? because the two are prettie well linked.

Wm.

Bagins said:
Do you skip the "Fog On The Downs"(probably the eiriest(sp) bit in the hole book) bit as well? because the two are prettie well linked.

Wm.
Depends what mood I'm in at the time, but I usually leave that bit in, it's good, but I can't help feeling that it wasn't entirely essential to the narrative. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Hadn't posted on this thread yet cos I hadn't seen the movie: finally saw it last week: brilliant. Glued to my seat. Didn't look at my watch once (my usual test of a film's quality).

Can honestly say this is the best adaptation of a great book I've ever seen (they're usually a disappointment of one kind or another).

Can't wait for The Two Towers. And yes, the Bilbo-turns-Gollum bit knocked me sideways.

Roll on the autumn!!

LOTR: The Two Towers offensive after Sept 11th

I think it's a wind-up (it must be????) but you can find an online petition here stating that the next Lord of the Rings movie should be renamed to something less offensive. :rolleyes:

Back