• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lots of large beasts

Cherrybomb

Justified & Ancient
Mr. Cherrybomb and myself moved to a new house last Autumn, and almost right away we noticed that there are several unusually large animals in our new garden/local area.

Our house has a garden, which backs onto some unused land (as do all the other gardens in our part of the street), and on the unused land area there are quite a lot of trees. We first noticed a large heron sitting in one of the trees and Mr. C took a photo. We then saw (and have seen many times since) a "King" squirrel. A gray squirrel, that seems to be about 2 times larger than any others. We also have visits from extra large magpies and crows.

Is it simply due to being in a built up area (access to food,etc), but with plenty of hiding places that they have grown so big?

One of our neighbours is a close friend and he has also remarked about the size of the local wildlife!

Damn, I misread the title, I thought this was going to be about big breasts.

Ronson8 said:
Damn, I misread the title, I thought this was going to be about big breasts.

:lol: Well we can go off topic, and on to more titillating subjects! :yeay:

00001664_3_2.gif

No big beasts around here apart from rather chunky looking pigeons, What we do have though is black beasts. Mutant grey squirrels that have completely black fur. They look a bit like shadows of squirrels, without the squirrel. (And I read it as breasts too.. :oops: )

LOL @ petrosio!

I've seen photo's of black squirrels, and I think they look wonderful! I wouldn't mind some of them in my garden. It's an odd thing, I grew up in the cuntryside and have seen slightly larger animals, but there seems to be a lot of them and they seem to be really big! :shock:

Ah, now back to boobs :lol:

Cherrybomb,

Maybe you need to cut your loses and start this thread again. I'm not sure how we can get back on track, unless someone has seem some extraordinary beavers.

:lol:

Cultjunky said:
...Maybe you need to cut your loses and start this thread again. I'm not sure how we can get back on track, unless someone has seem some extraordinary beavers...

Hmm. Thinks.

How about: 'Mr C photographed a lanky bird up the bush and then we saw an enormous furry nut-muncher, (and some more more fat birds).'

Herons do look quite disconcerting when they perch in trees - they just somehow look too tall. I think maybe we also don't tend to associate them with perching up in the canopy like that, thinking of them more as denizens of rivers and riverbanks - so it's a bit of a surprise to see them looking down on you, especially as they are relatively so large compared to anything else your likely to see up there. I love herons - still and haughty, and most definitely in charge. There's also something a bit gothic about them; they always remind me of Edward Gorey cartoons - all bony angles, sharp points and a vague sense of lethality, like violent Edwardian undertakers.

Grey squirrels do vary somewhat in size, but I've never seen one which is remarkably large. I did seen 'King' rabbit once though (as in ...'king hell, have you seen the size of that ...'king rabbit.) Seriously, it was enormous - well, for a rabbit it was enormous.

:lol: Oh dear, what a wonderful Freudian slip I made :oops:

I don't think we can get back OT after that! LOL

cherrybomb said:
It's an odd thing, I grew up in the c**tryside and have seen slightly larger animals, but there seems to be a lot of them and they seem to be really big! :shock:
Are you sure you're not shrinking? ;)

You might be on to something there rynner2 :lol:

Back