• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lovecraft Country (Novel & TV Series)

Did the show ever deliver on eldritch horrors or was it more social commentary?

Well I saw a show that married Black History with blood and gore, body swapping, Korean magical creatures, tentacled monsters, arcane ritual and an apocalypse. Lots of people died, horribly. It frit the life out of me but then I am rather sensitive to horror, can't watch most of it.

Did the show ever deliver on eldritch horrors or was it more social commentary?
It was a healthy mix. Personally, I'm pleased social issues were dealt with in reference to Lovecraft. I'm disappointed, however, about just how little to do with Lovecraft it was. But I binge watched it and happily watched to the end. I'm struggling with the TV series War of the Worlds, which I'd also have thought would be my cup of tea.

It was a healthy mix. Personally, I'm pleased social issues were dealt with in reference to Lovecraft. I'm disappointed, however, about just how little to do with Lovecraft it was. But I binge watched it and happily watched to the end. I'm struggling with the TV series War of the Worlds, which I'd also have thought would be my cup of tea.
Is that the BBC version? Didn’t much care for it either. Lovecraft a country I never made it to the end of and it’s no longer available on streaming / download so I guess I’ve missed that boat unless they repeat it.

Is that the BBC version? Didn’t much care for it either.
I never saw the BBC one. This is an Anglo-French 'adaptation' I hadn't previously heard of but which turned up on Disney+. It looked good, so I watched the first episode, for some reason thinking it was a miniseries. I think it would have made a fine miniseries. But it turns out it's two series of eight episodes each, mostly of people moping around an apocalyptic landscape.

I never saw the BBC one. This is an Anglo-French 'adaptation' I hadn't previously heard of but which turned up on Disney+. It looked good, so I watched the first episode, for some reason thinking it was a miniseries. I think it would have made a fine miniseries. But it turns out it's two series of eight episodes each, mostly of people moping around an apocalyptic landscape.
Only seen the first 8 episodes, thought it was ok but nothing more. The BBC one was dire, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8001226/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_9

Back