• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lovely Illustrations In Book Published 1846

Eponastill

Justified & Ancient
I was looking for information on a current fortean favourite of mine (the will o the wisp) and came across this lovely book:
https://archive.org/details/Thirtyplatesill00Soci/page/n3/mode/2up
'Thirty plates illustrative of natural phenomena, etc'
They include intriguing things such as the Aurora Borealis, Fata Morgana, Water Spouts, Halos, Petrifying Springs, and Whirlpools (not to mention the Will o the Wisp).
I thought this would be the place for someone appreciative to see them.
I find the drawings very evocative (and I live in the 21st century where illustrations and photos of everything are at my fingertips - imagine being tucked up by the fireside in the library of a grand house, poring over these in 1846). Mmmm.

How wonderful, thank you!

Food for thought. The plate illustrating 'THE PRAIRIE ON FIRE' shows animals moving forward in that bounding motion familiar from old paintings.

Eadweard Muybridge demonstrated the gait of horses through the use of photography in 1878. They do not bound although for a split second all four hooves are off the ground at once, big revelations at the time!

Here's a TIME page about it -

eadweard-muybridge-horse-in-motion

Photography advanced both art and science.

Very nice.

Lots of good ones with this possibly the most atmospheric for me:

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 23.24.27.png

The plate with the PERTIFYING SPRINGS is still recognizable as the hot springs and the ruins of Hieropolis by Pamukkale in Turkey. The ruins have a very impressive collective of enormous tumbled sarcophi, as though the dead had risen and walked away.

The whirlpools one mentions Corryvreckan! I'm fascinated by my local whirlpool and there is no way I'm gong anywhere near it ;)

EDit to add:

There's a whirlpool and weir that you mustn't go near
when you're messing about on the river.

Back