• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Luck & Serendipity

Minutes can make all the difference with heart attacks. My friend in Gosford N.S.W. had her husband suddenly drop from a heart attack in the kitchen. Luckily her neighbour was there and they rang the ambulance which when the operator contacted it was just passing their street. He had actually died ( and had the NDE) but they managed to bring him back.

Saved! Fan catches woman in death fall
By Sally Pook
(Filed: 22/06/2006)

A Portuguese football fan who leant out of a window to complain about the noise upstairs saved a woman from falling to her death from the flat above.

Orlando Fonseca, 29, was watching the television when he was disturbed by his neighbour, Kim Koeon, who was shouting and throwing books and clothes from her third floor window.

He leant out of his second floor window to complain, but as he did so Miss Koeon fell out head-first.

Mr Fonseca caught her by her legs and pulled her into his flat. The Korean student in fashion design suffered only minor scratches.

"I was watching my team play Iran in the World Cup," said Mr Fonseca, of Wandsworth, south-west London. "Upstairs the woman was shouting and dancing and just making lots and lots of noise.

"I leant out of the bedroom window and there was a gang of people watching her in the window. She was dancing away on the window sill. Next the glass smashed and she fell. I caught her with my arm and pulled her in.

"She was not heavy but you can see a big bruise on my arm. She said 'sorry' to me but was still smiling."

Sam Froud, 15, said: "She started banging her head against the window, shouting and screaming abuse. The guy below leant out of the window and told her to shut up.

"She then broke the window with her head and edged out on to the ledge. She fell through the broken window and the Portuguese guy below caught her and clamped his arms round her legs."

Dimitris Themistocleous, 19, a student, said: "The man caught her. It was unbelievable. It was like she was a trapeze artist."

Miss Koeon is recovering in hospital from minor cuts to her arms and legs.
http://tinyurl.com/mh64x

The 'stuck brakes' BMW crash wasn't all it seems, or so the police think.
I heard on t'wireless that his car had been examined and no brakes/accelerator faults found.

http://tinyurl.com/oj3r8

A MOTORIST who said he drove at alleged speeds of 130mph because his accelerator jammed has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving.

Kevin Nicolle careered along the A1 for 60 miles, weaving around vehicles, before crashing his automatic car into a roundabout in Nottinghamshire in March.

The 26-year-old, who escaped unhurt, later blamed the high-speed ride on a mechanical fault in his eight-year-old BMW 318.

He began to panic, he said, when its brakes started to fail and he was unable to put the car in neutral. He said he decided against turning off the engine for fear the steering would lock.

Today, police confirmed that the lorry driver, from Southsea, Hampshire, had been held in connection with the incident.

Second lottery win for US woman

A US woman who won $1m (£536,000) in the New York state lottery four years ago has beaten the odds by winning another $1m lottery jackpot.
Valerie Wilson scooped her second $1m prize on a lottery scratch card.

Experts say that the chances of her winning both games were an incredible 1 in 3,669,120,000,000.

"The first time I couldn't believe it," the 56-year-old Long Island deli worker told the Newsday newspaper. "This time I said, 'God's on my side'."

Lottery officials say that in 2002 Ms Wilson beat odds of 1 in 5.2 million when she won the Cool Million scratch card game

Then last month she beat odds of 1 in 705,600 by winning New York lottery's Jubilee scratch card game.

According to New York state lottery officials, there have been two other double jackpot winners, who like Ms Wilson each won $1m prizes on two separate occasions.

"I lost my husband in 1993, so I went to the cemetery and thanked him," Ms Wilson told Newsday. "I figured he had something to do with it."

Ms Wilson says that the first time she won she used the money to help buy houses for her three children.

"This one is going to be for me," she said of the latest win. "I'm going to live a little bit."

Instead of getting a lump sum, Ms Wilson will get instalments of $50,000 a year for the next 20 years.

But despite her double victory Ms Wilson says she is not planning to quit her job in a local deli where she makes sandwiches and works on the till.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5331556.stm

This story is a few months' old (found while looking for something else!), but I don't think it's been on FTMB before:
Whiskey galore for prawn catchers
By Fiona Murray
BBC news website, Northern Ireland

Fishermen have managed to unlock a mystery of the deep after netting more than their usual catch.

Astonished crews on three separate trawlers found bottles of Irish cream liqueur among their prawns while fishing off the coast of England.

But their spirits were even higher when they discovered that, along with each bottle of liquid nectar, two glasses had also been provided!

It turned out that the fishing boats, from Kilkeel in County Down and Clogherhead in County Louth, had accidentally netted gift packs of Carolans Irish Cream Liqueur.

About 8,000 of the packs, worth close to £128,000, were lost during storms in the Bay of Biscay at the end of October, en route to Spain for the Christmas market.

They sank without trace to the sea bed, until swept along by currents, they were discovered last week among the haul being inspected at Dunmore East in the Republic of Ireland.

C&C International, which makes the liqueur, said the company was delighted that some of its lost cargo had turned up.

Frances Cullen, the firm's marketing executive, said quite a few of the presentation packs had been recovered.

"A 40ft container of products fell from the deck in a storm in the Bay of Biscay bound for the Spanish Christmas market last month," she told the BBC News website.

"The current swept them along and they were brought up off the west coast of England in an area called "The Smalls" where they made their catch.

"The presentation packs consist of a bottle and two glasses."

The liqueur is a blend of Irish cream, honey and Irish spirits.

Deep sea divers

Ms Cullen said the company was amazed that the sea had preserved the gift packs, after nearly one month in the water.

"We got notification on 2nd of November that the container was lost, she said.

"But when they were found, the bottles and glasses were still intact. It truly is a Whiskey Galore tale."

The liqueur is still made in County Tipperary, the heart of Ireland's dairyland, using local ingredients and it is said to be the world's second most popular Irish cream liqueur.

Carolans Irish Cream is named after Ireland's celebrated 17th century harpist, Turlough O'Carolan, a legendary travelling musician of that time.

So what will happen to the remaining deep sea treasures?

"I don't think we'll be sending out the deep sea divers to recover the other packs," said Ms Cullen.

"But we would love to see them to find out how they survived!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5376574.stm
However, one correction: The Smalls is not off England, but off Wales!
http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/interacti ... malls.html

Driver walks away from cliff fall

A 71-year-old man plunged off an 80ft cliff in a car and managed to walk away from the scene.
Coastguard officers, who winched the man back up the Isle of Wight cliff, said he may have driven over the edge when leaving a cliff-top car park.

The driver suffered head injuries when his Vauxhall Corsa hit the beach on Monday evening.

The cliff has been eroding in places and a police spokesman said the fall appeared to have been an accident.

'Fairly steep drop'

Police have said they believe the driver was heading towards Ventnor on Military Road and no-one else was involved in the accident.

The driver was taken to St Mary's Hospital, in Newport, where a police spokeswoman said he is being kept under observation for a few days.

Brian Taylor, Solent Coastguard watch assistant, said: "He had an injury but managed to walk away from the car.

"It's an 80ft drop and it is a fairly steep drop so that's quite lucky for him to have survived.

"There's a car park and what usually happens is they think they are in reverse and they are actually in first gear and end up going forwards when they think they are going backwards."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 168330.stm

Two stories where passers-by were able to prevent death:
MY 'KILLER' WASP STING
By Richard Smith

A BUILDER told yesterday how he "died" three times after being stung in the mouth by a wasp.

Jason Broom, 37, suffered anaphylactic shock when he was stung while sipping from a can of cider.

Luckily, his frantic girlfriend Wendy Marriner, 41, found first-aiders Alan Belcher and Kelvin Hopton holidaying at the same caravan park.

They gave Jason the kiss of life while waiting for an air ambulance in Dawlish, Devon. Jason, from Burnhamon- Sea, Somerset, said: "My heart stopped twice and those two guys got it going again. If it was not for them I would have died."

He spent four days in intensive care this August after his heart stopped again in the helicopter. He had no idea he was allergic to wasps and said: "I'm a lucky man."

Alan and Kelvin were yesterday honoured by the Royal Humane Society for their efforts.

http://tinyurl.com/ycgmbq
Longer version in the WMN, but can't find it online. The second story is also from the WMN, but I can't find it online anywhere yet:

An elderly couple drove onto a tidal road (Aveton Gifford, S. Devon). Car broke down, husband and wife in difficulties, assisted from car by two local men as the tide rose. Within half an hour, all that could be seen of the car was its aerial!

I wonder, how would you see these things if they happened to you?

Years ago, a bloke my ex worked with wrecked his car - his new car, with only 3rd party/fire/theft insurance - in a crash on a fast road, but walked away unhurt. I said, wow, you were lucky there! but he didn't agree. The car he hadn't yet paid for was scrap, y'see. :roll:

In relation to the good luck of being rescusitated, or of being rescued from a sinking car, the bad luck of suffering sudden anaphylactic shock or losing a mere car seem trivial to me. 8)

(This may or may not be relevant to this thread, but since the thread title is "luck", I'm putting it here.)

It seems to me that a lot of what is commonly interpreted as good/bad luck is a matter of perception of random events. Like the sports star that has to always wear his lucky socks for the game since he first wore them for the big win.

In my experience, this sort of thing seems pretty universal.

So my question is: are there any cultures that don't have a conception of "luck" as we commonly view it?

we don't seem to have mentioned Deal or no deal on here before, although it does wonderfully illustrate the laws of chance.

today's contestant, Bunny, got down to 2 boxes, one with £250,000 in, and the other with £20,000.
the banker offered him £110,000 for his box (no. 5).
as it happened, a previous contestant, who'd shown some (psychic?) skill at predicting where the big cash was, had suggested that box 5 would be lucky for Bunny.

but he said he'd played the DVD version of this game, and ended up with the same two boxes as he got in the real game.
in the DVD game, the big money wasn't in box 5, so he accepted the bankers offer - which proved to be the right move, as his box only had the 20K in it! :D

coincidence, luck...? fascinating stuff anyhow!

Brides bank all on lucky seven
Paul Ham and John Harlow, Los Angeles

WHEN Eva Longoria, the actress in Desperate Housewives, the TV series, gets married in July, she will be in good company. A joyous chorus of “I do” is expected to resound around the world as unprecedented numbers of weddings take place on one of the “luckiest” days of the century: 7/7/07.

For Longoria, 31, July 7 will simply be a romantic day in Paris. For her superstitious fiancé Tony Parker, a 24-year-old basketball star, and thousands like him, it will be a magical opportunity to take advantage of all the lucky sevens.

“Eva is relaxed but if it makes Tony feel better on the big day then she is willing to play along,” said an associate of the bride, who plays the more cynical sexpot Gabrielle in the television comedy.

Last year some pregnant women hoped to avoid giving birth on June 6 — or 6/6/06 — fearing that the three sixes associated with the devil represented an inauspicious start to a baby’s life. Hollywood cashed in by releasing a remake of The Omen, the devilish thriller, on that day.

This year the portents are more cheerful as Hollywood promotes License to Wed, a marital comedy starring Robin Williams.

Official figures are not yet available but according to The Knot, an American wedding magazine, the number of couples who are planning their nuptials for the first Saturday in July is up by 250% on last year.

“Lots of people are seeing 7/7/07 as their lucky, lucky day,” said Kathleen Murray, the magazine’s deputy editor. “Brides and grooms are very superstitious, so when a date comes along once in a century that seems so inherently positive they feel they are hitting the jackpot.”

In small towns across America churches, hotels and boats suitable for receptions have been solidly booked for months. One couple slept outside a San Clemente hotel in California to book their dream suite when the resort’s new year diaries opened the next morning.

In Las Vegas venues such as The Little White Wedding Chapel, where Britney Spears embarked on a 48 hour marriage, will be opening early and closing late. Ron Decar, an Elvis Presley impersonator, officated at 45 weddings on Valentine's Day, but is booked for 120 on the "really big day". :shock:

Britons are not immune to the craze. Dean Yardley, managing Director of hitched.co.uk, a wedding website, said that thousands of extra couples intend to get married on July 7 this year. Typical is Eleanor Dixon, 28, senior stylist at Cosmo Bride magazine, who is marrying David Shere, 32, a film special effects expert, on the Isle of Man. "I'm not superstitious, but I do hope that it turns out to be a lucky day," she said.

According to Ed Vallowe, the author of Biblical Mathematics, the lucky reputation of the number seven is based on scripture: "It is used throughout the Book of Revelation. There are seven churches, seven spirits, seven seals, seven trumpets, seven dooms and seven new things. It symbolises spiritual perfection. All of life revolves around this number."

Some brides have a more practical reason for picking tthe day, however.

"Men love numbers," said Barry West, who is arranging the flowers for a 7/7/07 wedding in South Carolina. "So it's a good way of making sure that they don't forget the anniversary."
:D

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 496495.ece

Malaysian saves 100 from sinkhole
By Steve Jackson
BBC News

A Malaysian man paying a late-night visit to the toilet has saved about 100 people from being buried in the rubble of their homes, reports say.

Renjis Empati was visiting an outside lavatory when he noticed part of his communal longhouse collapsing.

He shouted to alert his sleeping neighbours to the danger. Shortly after, the entire building gave way.

Longhouses are large communal buildings used by indigenous groups in the state of Sarawak on the island of Borneo.

It was about 0200 when Mr Empati left the communal longhouse he lived in to answer a call of nature.

Lost possessions

According to reports in the New Straits Times newspaper, he felt the ground slowly moving and noticed part of his kitchen sliding into a sinkhole.

He ran along the side of the building shouting to alert his sleeping neighbours to the danger.

The residents, the occupants of 14 family apartments, managed to get out and shortly afterwards the building collapsed.

Pictures in the newspaper show people climbing through a huge pile of splintered wood and corrugated iron trying to retrieve their possessions.

The local authorities have given the homeless community around $4,000 (£2,000) to help with the rebuilding.

Many people have expressed gratitude to Mr Empati for helping to get them out before it was too late.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 535481.stm

Climber with broken neck saved 300m up ‘impossible’ rock face
Will Pavia

A British climber who fell down the tallest vertical rock face in Europe was rescued after he was spotted by a man with a telescope several miles away.

Paralysed after breaking his neck and hanging upside-down from a tiny ledge 1,000ft (305m) above the valley floor, Michael Garton was in an impossible situation, even by mountaineering standards.

Alone on the 5,950ft Trollveggen, the Troll Wall, in Norway, he also knew that rescue attempts were usually ruled out because of the sheer nature of the 3,300ft vertical face, which has a 150ft overhang above it.

Long after Everest had been successfully conquered, the Troll Wall was still thought to be unclimbable. It was not until 1965 that a Norwegian team cracked it finally and several routes up were established.

Mr Garton had fallen 120ft when the rock that he was clinging to was dislodged from the cliff; another much larger rockfall would follow.

Speaking of his rescue for the first time, in Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, he said: “I didn’t think I even had a 1 per cent chance.”

Mr Garton, 25, a chemical research and development officer, had been attempting the first British solo ascent of the Troll Wall. He is already a veteran of the Matterhorn and has climbed some of the world’s highest peaks.

“It had always been my ambition to climb the Troll Wall,” he said. “Things were going well until I lost my footing.”

As he fell, he thought that this could prove a very good test of his climbing equipment.

Then he blacked out. “When I came around I realised I was paralysed,” he said. “I was still attached to my rope and I was resting on a sloping ledge. Because the climb is so dangerous, rescue attempts are never mounted because of the danger to rescuers. I knew that and I knew that I was paralysed.”

It was cold, too. “I couldn’t see any hope of surviving,” he said. “Eventually I blacked out through hypothermia.” In a car park several miles away, some people were enjoying a view of the cliff that rises up to a black-spired ridge.

One had a high-powered telescope trained on the Troll Wall, and spotted Mr Garton on his lonely ledge.

“He saved my life,” Mr Garton said. “Luckily the air force were training in the area.

“Apparently they thought I was dead but, despite the no-rescue rule, they decided to reach me, although they thought it was a recovery mission.”

When they finally got to him, Mr Garton had been hanging from the cliff face for ten hours. “The crew were stunned to discover I was still breathing.”

Minutes after he had been plucked from his exposed position on the mountainside, there was another, larger rockfall.

“The rescue crew . . . put their own lives and their aircraft at risk,” said Mr Garton’s mother, Irene. “After they saved him, there was a massive landslide, with rocks as big as buses falling down.”

After the accident, on July 23 last year, Mr Garton spent three weeks in an intensive care unit in Norway before being flown back to Britain.

Since then he has regained some movement in his arms. “Hopefully the use could come back to the rest of my body,” he said. “Doctors say that with spinal injuries anything is possible and I will never give up the hope of walking again.”

In the meantime, he plans to conquer Snowdon – with hospital staff hauling him up in a wheelchair – as part of a race organised by the spine charity Back-Up Trust.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 760203.ece

“Things were going well until I lost my footing.”
I think one might have suspected that was the point at which things started to go wrong.
In the meantime, he plans to conquer Snowdon – with hospital staff hauling him up in a wheelchair...
Yes, and I plan to run faster than any man has run before - mind you, I'll be driving a car at the time.

Mobile phone saves jeweller who was shot at in robbery
Joanna Bale

A jewellery shop manager described yesterday how a bullet allegedly fired at him by an armed robber was deflected by the mobile phone in his breast pocket.

Darren Prior risked his life by running after a man said to have stolen £50,000 of diamond rings from his shop after threatening him with a hand-gun. Despite a “warning shot” whistling past him, he continued to give chase down an alleyway, where the gunman, he claimed, suddenly stopped and turned to face him before firing at him from just 20 feet away.

The shot ripped through his jacket and hit the phone in his breast pocket. It took the full force of the impact, leaving Mr Prior unhurt.

Hove Crown Court was told that it was a shot that, but for a “remarkable piece of good fortune”, could have killed Mr Prior, who was working in Amore Jewellers, in Horsham, West Sussex, when the armed robber burst in.

Mr Prior said: “He pointed the gun directly at me. He said, ‘Open up the cabinet’.”

Mr Prior fumbled with the keys to the diamond cabinet, partly to stall the robber and partly because he felt “anxious”. He said: “The gun was still pointing at me. He told me to stop time-wasting.”

The robber then heard a noise from the kitchen, and ordered Christopher Pervis, an assistant, to come into the front of the shop. Mr Prior said: “He said he was going to shoot Christopher in the leg if I didn’t open up the cabinet and started a countdown from ten.

“I got the right key and put it into the lock and told him. He got angry and was shouting. He opened the door to the cabinet.

“He pulled a bag out of his hoody pocket and started grabbing rings from the diamond window and chucking them into the bag. He was grabbing handfuls of them, about five handfuls.

“He then came round to the door. I said he was not going to leave the shop with the rings. He pushed or barged past me to get outside then ran past me.

“I chased after him, the main reason behind it was because I knew the police would be called and I wanted to see what direction he was going in and whether he was sitting in a car or on a bike, trying to get some details.

“I was about four metres behind. I was shouting, ‘Call the police, theft’.”

Mr Prior said that the gunman fired a warning shot as the chase continued. “He shot towards the ground in my general direction but not directly at me. I saw smoke from the gun. He then ran off.

“I continued to chase after him – I was about ten metres behind. I was keeping my distance because he had a gun.

“He ran up an alleyway and I ran into the alleyway. When I was about half way up he was at the other end, but he pivoted round to face me.

“He had the gun in his right hand and held his arm out. It was directly at me. I felt that I was trapped. It was a tight alleyway and there was nowhere for me to go. I stopped and stood still. I heard a shot and felt the impact on my right-hand side. It felt like a punch.

“I thought I had been shot. I pulled open my jacket and looked at my shirt to see if I could see blood.

“I pulled up my shirt and looked and still could not see anything, then I looked in my pocket and realised it had hit my mobile phone.”

Mr Prior said that the gunman then ran off. Despite having been shot at, he jogged after him, warning passers-by of the danger.

Sean Henry, 35, of Wallington, Surrey is accused of attempted murder, attempting to wound with intent, robbery and possession of a firearm with intent to commit an offence.

Timothy Cole, 30, of Bognor Regis, West Sussex, the alleged getaway driver, is charged with robbery. Both men deny all the charges.

The trial continues.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 774370.ece
101 uses for a mobile phone:
1) As Body armour... :D

Climbers risk all in 12-hour mission to save woman left to die on Everest
Jeremy Page in Delhi

A stricken climber left to die on Everest was saved by an American guide and a sherpa who found her by accident as they returned from the summit.

The dramatic rescue of the Nepalese woman has reopened a passionate debate about mountaineering ethics, a year after the controversial death on the mountain of the British climber David Sharp.

The woman, identified only as Usha, was found on Monday morning suffering from severe altitude sickness about 550 metres beneath the 8,848m (29,028ft) summit.

She was at a similar altitude to the cave where Sharp died on May 15, 2006, after an estimated 40 climbers passed him by, most of them without making any attempt to save him. His death sparked an international controversy, with some arguing that a rescue would have cost more lives. Others, including Sir Edmund Hillary, condemned the cynicism of commercial mountaineers.

Usha, like Sharp, was apparently on the sort of barebones expedition that charges clients typically as little as £4,500 and provides them with only basic equipment.

Also like Sharp, she was too weak to move when she was found by David Hahn, a veteran American guide, and his sherpa, Phinjo Dorje, on their way down from the summit. Mr Hahn and Phinjo Dorje decided to risk their own lives by taking her with them, even though she was only semiconscious and suffering from severe cerebral oedema, or water on the brain. “I was very concerned because her oxygen had run out. She was virtually unresponsive, and in a precarious spot on the mountain, on a steep snowy slope,” Mr Hahn told The Times via satellite phone from Base Camp.

It was a huge risk given the harsh conditions in the “death zone”, above 8,000 metres, where there is so little oxygen that people need all their strength to keep themselves alive, let alone someone else.

After giving Usha a steroid injection to ease her altitude sickness, they pushed and dragged her down the treacherous south side of the summit for four hours until they reached Camp IV, at 7,920 metres. They were met there by members of a team of British doctors from the Caudwell Xtreme Everest expedition and others from Mr Hahn’s International Mountain Guides group.

“The doctors were a huge help in stabilising her,” Mr Hahn said. Realising that they would have to take Usha to Camp III, at 7,300 metres, where the rest of the British team was waiting, Mr Hahn and his four colleagues wrapped her in a sleeping bag and strapped her to a sled. Accompanied by André Vercueil, one of the British team, they spent nine hours dragging and lowering her by ropes across the Lhotse Face and through the rocky Yellow Band. At one point on the face they watched in horror as another woman climber fell 1,000 metres to her death. They did not reach Camp III until about 9pm, long after nightfall – and 12 hours after they had first found Usha.

“I was pretty exhausted, because I’d put my oxygen on the patient during the rescue,” said Mr Hahn, who has climbed to the peak of Everest nine times. “To tell you the truth, I didn’t think she’d survive.”

Mr Hahn and his team continued down to Camp II on Monday and were at Base Camp yesterday, recovering from their exertions. Usha was also brought to Base Camp yesterday, where doctors are still treating her for altitude sickness. She was not capable of speaking on the telephone.

Mr Hahn, who helped to rescue two climbers on Everest in 2001, said that he had never considered leaving Usha behind and believed that most experienced climbers would have done the same as him. But the rescue has refuelled the debate about whether climbers have a responsibility to try to rescue those in trouble.

Terence “Banjo” Bannon, a veteran Irish climber, wrote in an open letter last week: “I have been climbing for 25 years, and I’ve seen people risking their lives to save others. Those who say there was nothing they could do are lying.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 837807.ece

Pensioner's Joy Over Hole-In-One

Pensioner's joy over hole-in-one

An 84-year-old woman has spoken of her delight at hitting her first hole-in-one after more than 70 years of playing golf.

Joyce Haydn Jones from Newton, Swansea, started playing when she was 12.

She shot the hole-in-one on the 141-yard 15th hole at Pennard Golf Club.

Mrs Haydn Jones, who has been lady captain at the club three times, is believed to be one of the oldest people in Britain to manage the feat.

She said she had been in a round with two other players and knew she had struck the ball well at the par three hole but initially feared it had gone too far.

"I used my seven wood, which is one of my favourite clubs," she said.

"I knew it was a nice shot, but there was no sign of it on the green - we found it in the hole.

"You can't see the hole from that tee when the pin is at the lower tier of the green.

"I was very excited and hugged the other two."

She said it was hard to concentrate on the last three holes, but she managed to complete the round.

A spokesperson for the club said: "It was lovely for her and we know she was thrilled.

"She has been playing golf since she was 12 and had never hit a hole-in-one before.

"We have had a bit of a run of holes-in-one recently, even though Pennard is a difficult course."

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2007/05/25 15:44:08 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Researchers Save Everest Climber

Further to Rynn's post: -

Researchers save Everest climber

th_39501__42978429_ushaap_122_1066lo.jpg

A woman found near the Everest summit suffering oxygen deprivation was given life-saving help by doctors researching the subject, it has emerged.

The UK team, co-ordinated by University College London (UCL), are operating the world's highest medical laboratory on Everest's South Col.

Team head Dr Mike Grocott said Usha Bista, 22 and from Nepal, was found alone and unconscious by climbers.

Ms Bista was treated by the doctors at nearly 8,000 metres (26,200ft).

Dr Grocott, a UCL physiology lecturer, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "We are here on a medical research expedition to explore how humans adapt to low oxygen levels, in order to benefit patients on intensive care units.

"This wasn't what we intended to get involved in, but something where we were compelled to help with when the situation arose."

The rescue of the Nepalese climber, who escaped with little more than frostbite, hit the headlines last week, but the UK doctors' involvement emerged on Monday.

Dr Grocott said Ms Bista was found in the so-called "death zone" near the summit of the 8,848-metre (29,000ft) mountain.

She later said that her sherpa and team leader left her after she became sick and collapsed on her way up the mountain.

"It seems that she was on a relatively under-resourced expedition," Dr Grocott said.

"She had an inadequate amount of oxygen - probably only one cylinder, which is really not enough to get to the top of Everest and back again.

"She developed something called high-altitude cerebral edema due to low oxygen levels.

Dr Grocott told the Today programme that the climber was found by Dave Hahn, an American from International Mountain Guide, who "correctly recognised the problem" and gave Ms Bista appropriate medicines and oxygen.

He then took her further down the mountain to the team of doctors.

Dr Grocott was leading the Caudwell Xtreme Everest team investigating hypoxia, oxygen deficiency in the blood.

He said, although many groups were extremely organised, there were some others who did not have adequate resources for climbing the world's highest peak.

"There are teams who rely on sleeping in other people's tents and sometimes using their oxygen," he said.

"It's a relatively unregulated environment and not surprisingly there are teams around who take advantage of that."

The doctors are conducting experiments at different heights. Around 200 people have been taking part in scientific tests at the Base Camp laboratory at 5300m (17,388ft).

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2007/05/28 09:48:52 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Driver Survives Motorway Plunge

Is there not a 'Close Shaves' thread anywhere..? :?

Driver survives motorway plunge

A driver appears to have had a miracle escape after his car left a motorway and smashed into the road below.

The accident happened on Saturday afternoon on the M876 motorway at Dennyloanhead, Falkirk.

The vehicle hit the pavement about 30ft below, rolled several times and ended up on its side.

Police and ambulance crews rushed to the scene but the driver was helped from the car with a chipped tooth and cut head and taken to a nearby house.

Several young boys had been playing below the motorway flyover.

One told the BBC Scotland news website: "We heard something and turned round and saw the car in mid air - I'm sure it was upright flying through the air, it then came down and hit the kerb not far from us.

"It rolled several times across the road and came to rest on its side."

Another witness, Thomas Beresford, who is also a first-aider, came across the accident.

He said: "When I arrived I saw the car on its side and the driver signalling with his arm through the driver's window.

"I helped get him out and he seemed to just have a cut on his head and a chipped tooth and was able to walk away."

Central Scotland Police said they were dealing with a serious road accident.

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2007/06/02 14:18:10 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Memory lapse man wins Lotto twice

A man from Cornwall won an extra share of the £2.5m Lotto jackpot - after he bought two tickets with the same numbers.
Derek Ladner, 59, from Redruth, Cornwall, bought a ticket after forgetting he already had one, meaning he had two wins for the same draw.

He and his wife Dawn, 60, reaped the rewards on Wednesday after being presented with a cheque for £958,284.

It is the first time the same person has won twice in the same draw.

The lucky numbers on both tickets for the draw on 11 July were 3, 9, 10, 12, 46 and 47.

A Camelot spokesman said: "It must have been a huge and happy surprise."

Two days after the draw was made, on Friday 13 July, delivery driver Mr Ladner claimed his £479,142 share of the £2.5m jackpot.

It was not until a week later he remembered he had bought another ticket with the same numbers for the same draw.

Mrs Ladner said it took her husband a little while to convince her they had hit a double jackpot.

"I just couldn't believe it - I kept telling him he'd got it wrong and to check it again," she said.

The couple plan to have a holiday to give themselves time to contemplate what they will do with the money.

Mr Ladner is planning to give up work so he can spend more time on his favourite hobby of playing bowls.

He said they will continue to play the lottery - keeping the same numbers.

"They say lightning never strikes twice but it did, so perhaps it'll strike three times," he added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6926098.stm

As I get older, my memory is fading, so perhaps if I....

Er, I meant to do something - er, what was it?

Born in Sheffield? Then your luck is in
By Duncan Gardham
Last Updated: 1:56am BST 01/09/2007

Summer flooding aside, people from Sheffield are the luckiest in Britain according to a new survey.

A team of psychologists from Peterborough university toured the country to create a "luck index" based on people's own perception of how lucky they were.

Those surveyed were asked how often they experienced good luck, such as finding a £10 note, and how often they experienced bad luck, like being hit by bird droppings.

While the South Yorkshire city may be the victim of the collapse of steel-making and relegation from the Premier League, its people rate themselves as blessed by life.

By contrast, Plymouth's population - beneficiaries of a booming tourist industry and some of the finest weather in the country - are the most unlucky.

Some of Sheffield's luck is down to success with TV phone-ins, coming second only to Norwich. Meanwhile, two-thirds have experienced a scratch card win.

Prof David Moxon, from Peterborough university, said: "Luck seems to be something you're either born with or you're not. Lady Luck is clearly walking the streets of Sheffield. While there's no doubt some people make their own luck, it can't hurt to be born in the right place."

http://tinyurl.com/3bufkv

Teens survive 75ft fall after car skids off cliff
By Telegraph Reporter
Last Updated: 2:36am GMT 22/11/2007

Two teenage girls whose car fell 75ft on to rocks escaped with only slight injuries.

Francesca Blackmore, 17, and Coral Ogilvie, 17, were travelling in a Ford Fiesta when it hit wet leaves, skidded and tumbled down a cliff.

Both air bags deployed as the doors sprang open and the car crashed on to the rocks, they have said.

Coral, an A-Level student, said: "I've only been driving a month and me and Francesca just fancied a drive. We were coming home when suddenly the car skidded.

"I think it hit leaves and we were spinning and bounced off at least one tree. Then we were falling - it was pitch black so I didn't really know what was happening.

"We span four times and then suddenly there was a massive bang. The doors flew open and all the glass smashed and the air bags pinned us back.

"I said to Francesca, 'Are you alive?' She said 'yes' and we climbed out the driver's side. For a while we just sat there on rocks looking at each other. I've been to see the car since and I can't actually believe we got out of it."

Francesca said: "We'd only gone out for a drive because we were bored. Everything was fine and then the car started skidding and making a weird noise. Then we were in bushes and then falling through the air. I thought I was going to die."

The crash happened in Jersey on Monday evening, at a beauty spot known as Jeffrey's Leap. Neither girl was seriously hurt.

After climbing out of the wrecked car, the school friends tried to ring for help but were unable to pick up any signal on their mobile phones as the tide came in around them.

Coral said: "We just started climbing. It was raining a bit so it was pretty horrible but we were so shaken up we just kept going.

"Eventually we got to a ledge and Francesca had a phone signal. She called 999 first and then my mum, who totally panicked.

"I think we sat there crying for about an hour before the firefighters arrived and winched down to us. We're both fine really.

"I've got a cut hand and Francesca has a bruise, but other than that we're OK."

Martin McGuire, of Jersey Fire and Rescue Service, said: "The girls were extremely lucky, the car is a complete write-off. When I looked over the cliff I wondered how on earth they got out."

http://tinyurl.com/38ogwz

Doubly lucky, really. If they'd been injured in the fall and unable to help themselves, they could have been drowned by the tide before anyone knew where they were.

US worker survives 47-storey fall

A New York window cleaner who survived a 47-storey fall from a skyscraper last month is making a gradual recovery - in what doctors say is a "miracle".
Alcides Moreno, 37, tumbled some 500ft (150m) to the ground in a scaffolding accident that killed his brother.

Mr Moreno suffered severe brain, spine and abdomen injuries and both his legs, his right arm and ribs were broken.

But after undergoing a series of surgeries he is now awake, able to talk and is expected to walk again.

"If you are a believer in miracles, this would be one," Dr Philip Barie, a surgeon at New York's Presbyterian Hospital where Mr Moreno is being treated, was quoted as saying by the New York Times newspaper.

"Above 10 floors, most of the time we never see the patients because they usually go to the morgue... this is right up there with those anecdotes of people falling out of airplanes and surviving," Dr Barie said.

'What did I do?'

Mr Moreno, an immigrant from Ecuador, plummeted from the Manhattan skyscraper on 7 December, when a platform on which he was working came loose. His younger brother died instantly in the fall.

An investigation into the cause of the accident is under way.

Immediately after the accident Mr Moreno received 24 units of blood and several units of blood plasma. Nine operations followed to stitch together his broken body.

But now doctors say that now Mr Moreno has movement in all his limbs and is able to talk.

His wife, Rosario, said that one day he even reached out and stroked the face of one of the nurses.

"I looked at him and said, 'You're not supposed to do that. I'm your wife, you touch your wife'," Mrs Moreno was quoted by the New York Times as saying.

She said his answer was: "What did I do?"

Dr Barie said that "although there is more work to be done, we are very optimistic for his prospects for survival".

Mr Moreno still has to undergo several surgeries in the coming weeks.

The medical team, however, warns that there is still a chance he could develop serious complications.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7172647.stm

Let's just hope that the shock of the hospital bill doesn't finish him off...

‘Scrap metal’ was Bronze Age hoard
Simon de Bruxelles

A coach driver discovered Britain’s largest hoard of Bronze Age axeheads while waiting for a party of school-children at a Dorset farm.

Tom Peirce, 60, asked the farm’s owner if he could use his metal detector in one of the fields during his lunchbreak. Within minutes he heard a loud beep and found part of a bronze axe.

Over the next three days Mr Peirce and two other metal detectorists unearthed more than 500 items of Bronze Age metalwork, including 268 complete axeheads. The axes, buried at three separate locations more than 50 metres apart, could be worth tens of thousands of pounds, which Mr Peirce would share with the farm’s owner, Alfie O’Connell.

Axeheads were used as a form of currency during the Bronze Age, about 3,000 years ago, but some experts believe that the hoard may have had some ritual significance such as an an offering to the gods.

Mr Peirce, from Ringwood, Hamp-shire, who has been metal-detecting for five years, said: “When we took them out of the ground some of them were so pristine you would think you had just bought them at B&Q yet they were 3,000 years old.

“We were very lucky because there was not much else in the field. If we had tried another place or walked in a different direction we’d never have found them. This was a once in a lifetime find.”

Mr O’Connell, 62, who has owned the farm near Swanage for four years, said: “Within about half-an-hour of Tom searching he came rushing over to me looking shocked. During the war a plane had crashed in the same field and for a minute I thought he had found a bomb. :shock: We went back up there on my tractor and saw the axeheads. I didn’t have a clue what they were. I thought it was scrap metal at first. It is very exciting.”

The axeheads, which are four inches long and two inches wide, are being assessed by the British Museum, which may buy them.

The coroner for Bournemouth, Poole and East Dorset will hold an inquest at which it is expected that the axeheads will be declared treasure-trove. If so, the landowner and finder would receive a reward reflecting the market value of the hoard.

Andrew Fitzpatrick, of Wessex Archaeology, has been asked by the British Museum to look for signs of a settlement. He said: “The artefacts could have been used as a form of currency and buried at a time of crisis but many people believe they were buried as an offering to the gods.

“A lot of Bronze Age objects like this were buried in the ground and it is a bit of a coincidence that many people didn’t go back for them.”

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 227395.ece

Punter wins £1m for 50p horse bet

A punter in North Yorkshire has become the first betting shop millionaire after he placed a 50p bet on eight horses with odds of two million to one.
The man, who will receive a £1m payout, placed his winning bet at William Hill bookmakers in Thirsk, North Yorkshire.

The betting shop said the winner was a regular customer and had placed similar bets almost on a daily basis.

The first horse that won on Friday was called Isn't That Lucky and the last winner was A Dream Come True.

'Staggering bet'

The punter discovered he had won at 1200 GMT on Saturday when he went into another William Hill branch in Bedale, 15 miles (24km) away from the branch were he placed his 50p bet.

Graham Sharpe from the bookmakers said: "He placed five more 50p bets for Saturday's racing, then asked staff to check his betting slip from the day before.

"When they told him he had £1m to come but would have to collect it from the Thirsk shop, he went visibly pale before saying that he would have to go and tell his wife."

The customer, who has not been identified but lives in the local area, landed an eight-horse accumulator, which is bookmaker William Hill's limit on the amount of races a punter can link bets on.

Mr Sharpe added: "Even a script writer couldn't have dreamt this one up.

"It is a staggering bet, and earns him a place in history as the world's first betting shop millionaire."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nort ... 260526.stm

Passing surgeon comes to the rescue of cyclist
Simon de Bruxelles

A cyclist who severed an artery when she fell off her bike was saved by a stroke of luck because one of the people who came to her assistance was a vascular surgeon.

Denise Ledger, 57, would have bled to death within three minutes had John Thompson not stemmed the blood, which was spurting across the road “like a scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail”. :shock:

Mr Thompson, an expert in operating on veins and arteries, was able to put pressure on the femoral artery, saving Mrs Ledger’s life. He then followed her ambulance to hospital where he operated on her leg himself.

Mrs Ledger, a retired head teacher from Exeter in Devon, was cycling with her husband Roy when her front wheel became wedged in a rut. She landed on the handlebar and impaled herself.

In a short time she had lost a quarter of the blood in her body. Normal first aid advice to put pressure on the wound would not have been enough to save her and she would have died in minutes. She said: “I saw a mass of fat come out of the wound and then saw blood and realised it was quite bad. I was pressing really hard on it to try to stop the bleeding and my husband went to the garage to ring for an ambulance. I don’t think I realised quite how serious it was.”

Mr Thompson, aged 50, said: “It really was an amazing stroke of luck for Denise that I happened to be there. The ambulance crew was also on the scene incredibly quickly. If there had been any delay in her getting treatment she would have died. The wound was as big as if she had been speared and the end of the handlebar and brake lever went right down to the femur and then slid up towards the groin and damaged the artery.” ouch!

Mrs Ledger, who is recovering at home, said yesterday: “My knight in shining armour rushed up, said he was a doctor and took over. I know I was minutes from death. I can’t thank everyone enough.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 863814.ece

Hostel chef wins £2.6m on lottery

A former homeless man who now works as a chef at the hostel that took him in has won £2.6m on the lottery.

Herbert Plant, 49, from Blackpole, Worcester, said he would spend the cash from Saturday's draw buying a car and paying off his son's mortgage.

But he said he wanted to continue working at the city's St Paul's Hospice, which took him in after he lost his home and job.

The chef said hearing the news of his windfall was "surreal".

Mr Plant said he called his employers on Monday to tell them about the win; they greeted the news with disbelief.

'Lucky weekend'

He said he would now be taking "time out" to decide what else to do with his winnings.

However, the Leeds United fan said he would go to Elland Road to see a match and would also pay for a holiday.

"My youngest son Jamie did say he thought it was going to be a lucky weekend," Mr Plant said.

"I asked him what he meant, but he just couldn't describe his feelings, although I'm very glad they have come true." :shock:

Mr Plant, who is divorced, said he played the lottery by Lucky Dip, which came up with the winning numbers of 15, 20, 22, 34, 37 and 39.

He said he first realised he had won when his other son Richard, 24, checked his Lotto tickets on Sunday.

Mr Plant said: "It was a normal relaxing Sunday afternoon.

"Richard was running a few errands for me at the local shop and I asked him if he would check my Lotto tickets at the same time.

"He was gone over an hour so I started to worry, but moments later he ran into the house shouting at the top of his voice, 'You've won, you've won'.

"I couldn't believe it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/here ... 433364.stm

Well done Herbie! ;)

US girl survives 14-storey fall

A 12-year-old girl who fell 14 floors down a chimney in her apartment block in New York was saved by a pile of soot at the bottom.

Grace Bergere suffered only an injured hip after she landed in 2ft (60cm) of soot in the basement furnace of the building in the West Village area.

She had taken a visiting cousin up to the rooftop to admire the view of the Hudson River.

Her father described her survival as an "absolute miracle".

The building's janitor said he was glad he had not had the chimney swept.

Sooty hand

Grace and her cousin went up to the rooftop viewing platform on Thursday night, fire officials said.

To reach the highest point, Grace climbed up a 25ft (7.6m) ladder alongside the large brick chimney.

But when she reached the top, she fell into the chimney and plunged down the narrow flue.

Her cousin alerted emergency services and janitor Angelo Guagenti found himself being woken up by fire-fighters frantically trying to get access to the boiler room.

"I think she probably went down head first and landed on her back," fire Lt Simon Ressner said.

Fire-fighters opened a metal door at the bottom of the chimney, expecting to find her dead.

Instead, they saw Grace's hand poking out of the soot.

"I just jumped back," Lt Ressner told reporters.

"I wasn't expecting anybody alive at the bottom of the shaft, so I was shocked."

"She was covered in soot. She was black all over," Mr Guagenti told the New York Daily News.

The girl's father, Steve Berger, comforted her as she was taken to hospital, where she is being treated for a suspected dislocated hip.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7539277.stm

Luck and/or Coincidence

8lb baby born at 8.08am on 08/08
A baby was born at exactly eight minutes past eight on the eighth of the eighth 2008 - weighing eight pounds.
By Daily Telegraph Reporter
Last Updated: 12:39AM BST 09 Aug 2008

Conner Bolland's split second timing bodes well, as eight is considered a lucky number in many cultures.

His mother Samantha Wilson, 20, was taken to hospital on Wednesday when her waters broke, but Conner waited until the exact stroke of 8.08am on Friday to make his remarkable entrance.

Miss Wilson said: "It's just incredible.

"It wasn't until about an hour before he was born one of the midwives said 'if you can hang on for just a bit longer your baby could be born at 8am'.

"He was due on the seventh so it's almost as if he waited for the exact time to make his appearance.

"He's our first child so obviously he was always going to be special but this has made him unique."

Youth worker Samantha lives in Hull, East Yorkshire, with partner Bill Bolland, a 39-year-old car park attendant.

The pair met through work two years ago.

She said: "We will make him fully aware of how special he is when he is old enough to understand. He was smiling straight away.

"He looks a lot like his dad. I don't really have any ambitions for what I want him to do when he grows up - he can be whoever he wants to be."

The Beijing Olympics were deliberately timed to began at 8.08pm as the Chinese believe that the number eight is lucky, because it sounds similar to their word for 'wealth'.

Labour ward manager Sue Proctor said: "There's been a real buzz on the ward. We were joking in the morning that maybe one of our new arrivals would be at 8.08am but we never dreamed it would happen. It has to be highly unusual that it all fell into place, it's a real fluke.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -0808.html

39 year-old car-park attendant with a bride just half his age. Now that's luck! Maybe - I haven't seen her photo. :)

Back