• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lucky Escapes

Tourists survive avalanche In Kyrgyzstan.

Footage shows a torrent of snow coming down the Tian Shan mountains, forcing the group to take cover.

Incredibly, most people there were completely unscathed – with one person cutting her knee and riding to the nearest hospital and another falling off a horse, sustaining some bruising.

Harry Shimm, who uploaded the video to Instagram, has said ‘if we had walked five minutes further on our trek, we would all be dead’.
He said that he had broken away from his tour group of nine Brits and one American to take pictures after they reached the highest point in the trek.

But he soon heard ‘ice cracking behind’ and kept filming until the last moment before he dodged under nearby shelter.

Acknowledging that he ‘took a big risk’, he explained: ‘I felt in control, but regardless, when the snow started coming over and it got dark / harder to breath, I was bricking it and thought I might die.’

Harry continued: ‘Behind the rock it was like being inside a blizzard. Once it was over the adrenaline rush hit me hard. I was only covered in a small layer of snow, without a scratch. I felt giddy.’

When he found his tour group, they were ‘laughing and crying, happy to be alive’ following the terrifying experience.
‘It was only later we realised just how lucky we’d been’, he added.
video at link.
1657540055925.png

This woman attempted to retrieve her dropped cellphone from a Kentucky river and was swept over a 68-foot-tall waterfall. She survived the fall without any substantial injuries.
Woman trying to get cellphone goes over Cumberland Falls

A woman survived going over the falls at the Cumberland Falls State Park. ...

Witnesses told officials a woman had fallen into the river and went over the falls, landing downstream.

When rescue crews got there, officials say the 36-year-old woman was swimming to a large rock downstream of the falls. She was able to swim to rescuers. EMA officials say she was checked out by medical crews at the scene and wasn’t taken to the hospital. ...

She told rescuers she was upstream taking pictures when she dropped her phone in the river. While trying to get her phone, she was swept away by the current. ...

Cumberland Falls is in southeastern Kentucky, spanning the river at the border of McCreary and Whitley counties. The Cumberland Falls is 68 feet high by 125 feet wide reaching depths up to 400 feet at the base of the falls. ...

Officials said it’s important for you to stay safe and they’re reminding people to stay behind the gate. They said visitors who disobey safety rules can be fined.
FULL STORY: https://www.wymt.com/2022/09/08/woman-trying-get-cellphone-goes-over-cumberland-falls/

Farmer, 95, pulled alive from mud by pal after being buried for two days

A 95-year-old farmer has been rescued by a pal after being stuck in mud and unable to free himself for two days in Australia.

Tom Killen was wedged up to his shoulders in a bog on his Carters Ridge property, two hours north of Brisbane in Queensland, with no way of calling for help, it is reported.

A friend said that he was “one of the toughest people I’ve seen at that age” with Mr Killen surviving the ordeal.

He is believed to have become stuck in the mud by a dam around midday on Sunday and it was not until two days later, on Tuesday morning, that he was discovered and pulled to freedom by his pal Dave Grey

"When he didn't ring, I tried ringing him and I thought I would come and check him out," Grey said, reported 9news.com.au.

"(He is) probably one of the toughest people I've seen at that age... even ambos and police were commenting on how resilient he is, a tough old bloke."

His rescuer said he had gone to look for him after his phone calls were not answered and then he found Mr Killen several metres from his tractor which had also been stuck.

Mr Killen was treated mainly for hypothermia and dehydration at the scene before he was taken to Sunshine Coast University Hospital where he is in a serious condition.

"The tractor was bogged quite severely next to a dam and it appears the gentlemen has tried to step off the tractor," Queensland Ambulance Service spokesperson Shaun Bright told reporters.

"He's a very tough gentleman. When we got there, the gentleman was suffering from suspected hypothermia and severe dehydration.”

"The gentleman was covered head-to-two in mud ... certainly quite distressed," added Mr Bright.
1668001936042.png

Farmer, 95, pulled alive from mud by pal after being buried for two days

A 95-year-old farmer has been rescued by a pal after being stuck in mud and unable to free himself for two days in Australia.

Tom Killen was wedged up to his shoulders in a bog on his Carters Ridge property, two hours north of Brisbane in Queensland, with no way of calling for help, it is reported.

A friend said that he was “one of the toughest people I’ve seen at that age” with Mr Killen surviving the ordeal.

He is believed to have become stuck in the mud by a dam around midday on Sunday and it was not until two days later, on Tuesday morning, that he was discovered and pulled to freedom by his pal Dave Grey

View attachment 60620

As he was pulled out he shouted: GET OFF MY LAND!

That's quite amazing, but I wonder whether the priest needs to explain why he should still be allowed to drive. Here's why ...

The Franciscan priest is blind in his left eye and wears hearing aids, so did not see the high-speed crash occur despite it coming within inches of him.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/priest-hails-miracle-after-not-28471317

The video clip is just a snippet, but it's enough to illustrate the SUV that jumped over the priest's car was clearly visible crossing over a grassy area before hitting the street sign whose post served as the ramp to launch the SUV airborne.

More to the point - it was well out front of the priest's car as it approached its "launch."

This, combined with the priest's own statement, suggests the priest is incapable of seeing anything in the left half of (two-eyed) field of vision.

According to Ohio's posted vision requirements for a driver's license, a person with monocular (one-eyed) vision must demonstrate a breadth of horizontal visual field extending at least 70 degrees outward (from centerline / nose) and at least 45 degrees inward (toward / across centerline or nose) to be approved for a license.

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-administrative-code/rule-4501:1-1-20

It appears to me the approaching SUV cutting across the grassy margin (and presumably having jumped a curb from the paved area from which it came) should have been within the priest's right eye's required 45 degree lateral field of vision "inward" (from right eye across the centerline / nose) if he'd been facing straight ahead.

If you had 6 eyes you would be lucky to get a better outcome,
breaking or swerving would likely put you right in the path of the disaster.

'Miracle' as couple in car survive huge one-in-a-million 300ft fall down canyon

Cloe Fields and boyfriend Christian Zelada had been driving through Angeles National Forest, California, along the edge of a canyon when they lost control and plunged over the edge

By some miracle, Cloe Fields and her boyfriend, Christian Zelada, survived the fall, after which Christian said it was "1 in 100 million" they got to walk away.

As they pulled over to let the car behind them pass, their car hit some loose gravel and they lost control.

After spinning 180 degrees and with nothing the driver Christian could do, the car plunged over the edge.

As the car fell, it hit some trees before flipping over and landing on its roof.
By some miracle, the two weren't badly hurt, crawling out from the wreckage with cuts, bruises, and mild concussion.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Sgt. John Gilbert said: “It’s a miracle in several senses,” Gilbert said. “Nearly all of the vehicles that go over the side of the road in that particular area turn out to be fatalities. For them to survive the crash — is a miracle."

The two fell in an area notorious for poor phone signal, but their phones could still be used to send out an emergency call.

Gilbert continued: “The fact they had a piece of technology that survived the crash and it worked as advertised and got rescue to them in a timely manner is another miracle.”

A helicopter was used to hoist the couple out of the canyon and rushed to hospital, but thankfully no serious injuries were found.
1671547955072.png

Crikey. I'm thinking that the big man upstairs was looking out for them that day, but then again, He might've at least done something to prevent the accident in the first place?

Lucky spaniel survives 90ft cliff fall by landing in the sea and swimming to safety

Penny the spaniel was being walked by her owner along Old Harry Rocks when she fell off the side of the rock formation on Saturday.

After dropping, Penny crashed into the sea and managed to swim to safety.
A local lifeboat managed to get to her at the base of the cliff, where she was ‘pretty nervous but moving okay and running around,’ according to Becky Mack from Swanage RNLI. The lifeboat team then used the dog’s collar and lead to secure her.

Despite having received a small bruise and being a little shaken, Penny was remarkably unharmed by her ordeal – though she was ‘very glad’ to return to her owner.
1674481163548.png

Mountaineer survives being buried for 20 HOURS by avalanche in -15C temperatures

Carluccio Sartori was hit by an avalanche in the South Tyrol region in Italy. He survived being buried for 20 hours and when he was rescued, he could still talk despite having a body temperature of 24C

Carluccio Sartori, 54, left rescuers and police officers astonished when he was pulled out of the snowalive - and was even able to have a conversation.

He told rescuers that an air chamber that formed the surface of the avalanche not only provided him with oxygen to breathe but also insulated him from the freezing temperatures of the night.

The body temperature meant that he was in the third and most serious stage of hypothermia.

After being rushed to the San Maurizio hospital in Bolzano and being hospitalised in intensive care, Mr Sartori is expected to make a full recovery despite suffering some fractures and frostbite on his hands and feet.

Talking from his hospital bed, Mr Sartori said while buried under the snow, he tried to stay awake and not fall asleep as his will to live was very strong.

He told Italian news agency Ansa: "The night was terrible. I was so scared, I didn't want to die. I knew I shouldn't give up, I shouldn't fall asleep at all, otherwise that would have been the end of it.”

Mr Sartori said he made small movements while being buried in order to keep his body temperature as high as possible and survive the ordeal.

He added that as soon as the avalanche stopped, he used one arm to form the shape of a funnel so that he could breathe.

The mountaineer said: "I feel very lucky.”

The emergency services started looking when the missing man's family raised the alarm and a team from the Aiut Alpin Dolomites eventually found him in the Alpe di Fanes area.

They started looking that evening with an aerial search and started digging when they found a glove that the man had lost when the avalanche struck.
1675732047247.png

This is the incredible moment a missing hiker buried under an avalanche was able to hail down a rescue helicopter using only his one free arm.

The footage was filmed by paramedic Mathieu Lambert, who was inside the aircraft as it hovered over the mountainous region of Lidairdes, Switzerland, after the snow slip earlier this month.

It shows the young man, with just his head and one arm free, desperately waving as the helicopter shined a light down on him.

He is believed to have been ski touring in Lidairdes when the avalanche hit. His family alerted rescue services when he didn’t return on time.

Miraculously, only using the search light on the helicopter, the team was able to spot the man’s arm waving at them and extract him from a large pile of snow blocks.

He was then hoisted 100ft up to safety.

Local reports stated the man recovered from the incident without serious injury.
Short video.

That's some kind of special driving there. Reckon they turned at the junction and slammed the accelerator down too hard and then panicked when the back slid out?
Glad the guys were okay.

The bollards did a great job there. Honourable mention must also go to the awesome safety glass.

An obvious contributing factor in this incident was a flagrant use of the 'Q' word.

In my industry we don't say that. ASKING for trouble. :nods:
Quiet? That was the only Q word.
And the bollards did nothing. The glass, though - awesome job.
Looked like the car was bleeding - what was that red stuff on the ground?

And the bollards did nothing. The glass, though - awesome job.
Looked like the car was bleeding - what was that red stuff on the ground?
The bollards did their job which is to absorb some of the energy of the impact.
So the bollard and the front of the car were wrecked but the vehicle was stopped from crashing into the building itself.
Plus, the impact didn't kill the car's occupants.

The red staining on the ground is transmission fluid.

Anyone saying That Word at my work is summarily rebuked for trying to cause trouble. :omr:
It's like mentioning The Scottish Play in a theatre. :nods:

Back