• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Machine Men

konajinx

Junior Acolyte
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so if it needs moving, feel free.

Anyhow, last year or so in the American magazine Esquire, there was a little book stapled to the middle of one issue that was about this robot or robots supposedly walking around and leaving tracks in fields, etc. I think it was happening in the UK, but now I can't recall. It was only a couple chapters of a much longer intended book that at the time was put on hold due to more investigations being done. There were photos included, with one showing what looked like part of a torso, an arm, and I think a leg of one of these things caught while outside of a car. Some scientist was involved who worked on large robot machines, and there were these schematics found and so forth.

I can't remember the name of the intended book, or the author, so does anyone else recall this, or heard about it? It really seemed like it would be a good read, even if it was fake. It was certainly one of the most bizarre things I had read about in a long time, and would like to explore it more if such a thing is possible.

Hmm this is really annoying as I'm sure I've read something about someone building their own Battlemech but can't find anything on it - other than this tree house:

http://techabsorbed.com/News/Unique-Pro ... ech-2.html

----------
Even if the oriignal is a fake it is interesting how it gorws an develops - from that last link:

Well, it seems the “Men of Metal” hoax has reached a “Blair Witch Project” level of hype, as the frenzy of internet traffic continues to bombard message boards and blog pages. All this, even after the New York Times “broke” the story to the masses, quoting Mini Cooper’s ad agency, Crispin Porter & Bogusky, as saying the ad campaign was “interactive fiction.”

Emperor said:
Ooooooooooooo you can buy one at eBay!!!
Failed to sell at a starting bid of $40 000 so it has been relisted with a starting bid of $34 000 at ebay

Mind there is a $6 000 shipping charge in the US - God knows what it is for the UK!
Gordon

<HA re emerges...she is now wearing a numbered T shirt, oddly coloured highlights in her hair...she has painted herself blue, for luck...>

Im tempted. I could put it in the back garden.

Interactive Fiction? That's the media industry's new buzzword for hoax, is it?

(Interviewer: So, Mr Meier: these flying saucers of yours are just wobbly tin-foil models, arent they?

Billy M: Not at all. They are an innovative campaign of interactive fiction designed to raise the product visibility of my latest video.)

graylien said:
Interactive Fiction? That's the media industry's new buzzword for hoax, is it?

mmmm... not quite

the difference is that a Hoax is designed to fool people, "interactive fiction" or "alternate reality games" are designed to entertain (and sometimes, but not always, to promote a product)
last year i participated in a large ARG called ilovebees, which was designed to promote Halo 2, Audi just recently ended one called "The Art of the Heist" to promote the American intro of the A3. There have been a large number of grassroots ARG's created by hobbyists for simple enjoyment by the players. In fact, there's a convention of us congregating in New York City this weekend. (sadly, i'm unable to attend, but many of my friends will be there)

i think that Forteans would find ARG'ing alot of fun, it involves storytelling and puzzle solving and generally the plots include many supernatural or clandestine elements, in fact this "Metal Men" promotion was played and "solved" in short time by ARG'ers

you can find out more here:
http://www.argn.com/
most of the games are played out on the boards here:
http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/

Back