• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mad Murder By Deranged Teacher

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/stories/Detail_LinkStory=47644.html

Life for murder teacher
A SCHOOL teacher who used his computer to watch scenes of torture and murder developed an uncontrollable desire to kill, a court heard.

Thomas Clarke, fuelled by a cocktail of drink and drugs, prowled the streets looking for suitable targets and struck twice in two weeks.

His first victim, a teenage student, was left permanently disabled after Clarke plunged a knife into his arms and chest.

But then Clarke, a science teacher at Egerton Park School in Denton, struck again and murdered a 71-year-old retired dustman he picked out at random when he went out for a midnight stroll near his home.

Two days later 30-year-old Clarke, a university graduate who was also the head of a school's science department, rang police and asked them to arrest him.

"I won't be any trouble...I just need to stop doing this," he told a detective.

Today Clarke was starting a life sentence after he pleaded guilty at Manchester to charges of murder and attempted murder during the stabbing spree last April.

He was told by the city's recorder, Judge Sir Rhys Davies: "Without any motive recognisable to a human being you have snuffed out one life and severely damaged another.

"You are an intelligent but a deeply disturbed and dangerous man who came to believe it was necessary for you both to kill and to injure human beings wholly unknown to you."

Clarke, of Victoria Road, Dukinfield, admitted murdering Dennis Cotterill and was jailed for life. He was given 15 years concurrently for the attempted murder of Michael Kay.

Alan Conrad QC, prosecuting, said Mr Kay was walking along Dukinfield Road, Hyde, when he was suddenly attacked by Clarke and stabbed.

He broke free and managed to stagger to a nearby house where he collapsed in the garden. The householder called an ambulance and he was rushed to hospital with stab wounds to both arms and his chest.

Mr Conrad said an artery and all the nerves in the left arm had been severed and as a result of the attack Mr Kay is now terrified of going out alone.

Twelve days later Clarke struck again when he targeted Mr Cotterill as he walked along Henrietta Street, near his home in Ashton, and stabbed him through the heart. Shortly afterwards a motorist saw his body in the road.

Mr Conrad said the next night a detective at Stalybridge police station was telephoned and a man calling himself Tom said: "I'm the one you are looking for, for the stabbing and the murder the other night".

His computer was examined and he had used the Internet to access the "Ask Jeeves" section and asked numerous questions about the likely sentences for stabbings.

Fok Me!

There's some stories just beggar the imagination! :eek!!!!:

Ah mean, where do ye start? :confused:

Thats Mental!

Did they do a Psychiatric Evaluation on him? is he Bonkers, Posessed or what?

...as a member of the teaching profession myself, I can sometimes see how people can overstep the 'sanity borderline'....:hmph:

I think I overstepped it a long time ago.:gaga:

Although not in a murderous way of course. :p

I was married to a teacher for 20 years. They're all nutters.

Did they do a Psychiatric Evaluation on him? is he Bonkers, Posessed or what?

The sad thing his theres too many smart lawyers out there that'll push for the old " he didn't know what he was doing" line, when he clearly knew EXACTLY what he was doing...... The hand wringers and do-gooders hold far too much sway over justice/pay back, i'm a firm believer in the old eye for an eye way of things.
Premeditated murderers should get their necks stretched IMHO,
and Paedo's should be hung by other bits.
:mad:

escargot said:
I was married to a teacher for 20 years. They're all nutters.

I know a realy nice teacher though :D

However for a person to act in such a way they must be insane, it's like any serial killer any person who kills for recreation realy is not mentaly healthy.

I know lots of nice teachers too but they are all stressed and FUBAR. No way would I have a relationship with one now.

I have seen kids who've successfully negotiated the education system solely, at times, because of the dedication of certain members of teaching staff, at great personal effort- stress, depression, even personal threats and attacks, both from kids and parents.

Look at this-

One in three teachers expect to leave teaching within five years, protesting about workload, government interference and poor pupil behaviour, according to an unprecedented survey of their views revealed by the Guardian today.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,5500,869995,00.html

I don't blame them one bit. (Deleted rant followed here about ex's excessive workload, stress induced breakdowns etc.)

The same thing will happen with teachers as did with nurses- poor pay, rotten conditions, thousands of skilled professionals voting with their feet. Like the NHS, the education system will crumble, all because we treat good people like cr*p.

That's very odd. How can a teacher afford a drug habit?

James Whitehead said:
His computer was examined and he had used the Internet to access the "Ask Jeeves" section and asked numerous questions about the likely sentences for stabbings.

The man was insane.

He should have used Google ;)

I forgot to mention that one of the reasons this story struck me so
forcibly was that I had probably met the bloke, having done a few
days' teaching in that school a month before the murder. :eek!!!!:

Unfortunately I couldn't find a news story with his picture attached
so could not relate the name to a face. Until this story, I had felt
a bit left out of the "How many Murderers have you met?" thread.

:rolleyes:

The guy was a supply teacher at my school (formally Hyde tech) before moving on, and lived thirty seconds walk away from where i lived.
I don't believe i had ever met/seen him before that night but grabbing me from behind unexpectedly and using a knife was cowardly.

He stabbed the arms so i couldn't fight back, but i managed to get away, he learned from that mistake and was unfortunately successful in his next attempt.
RIP Dennis.

The guy was a supply teacher at my school (formally Hyde tech) before moving on, and lived thirty seconds walk away from where i lived.
I don't believe i had ever met/seen him before that night but grabbing me from behind unexpectedly and using a knife was cowardly.

He stabbed the arms so i couldn't fight back, but i managed to get away, he learned from that mistake and was unfortunately successful in his next attempt.
RIP Dennis.

That opening news story says that his first victim was left 'permanently disabled'. If it isn't too intrusive, may I ask whether this turned out to be true?

If he received fifteen years in 2002, he is likely to have been released by now.

In some cases an attackers victims are informed when he is released into the community. Have you received any such notification?

That opening news story says that his first victim was left 'permanently disabled'. If it isn't too intrusive, may I ask whether this turned out to be true?

If he received fifteen years in 2002, he is likely to have been released by now.

In some cases an attackers victims are informed when he is released into the community. Have you received any such notification?

It was a minimum of 15 years.

It was a minimum of 15 years.

Sorry, I didn't see that in the article.

Replace 'likely' with 'possible' he has been released.

I can't find any subsequent reporting on him.

Aye permanent disability of the left hand, by the time the nerves grew back the muscles in my hand had withered. It's pretty much a monkey palm now.
He received life plus 15 years but i was told he could be out in 12.
I was also told that i would be contacted about his release but haven't heard anything as of yet.

As shocking a case as any I can think of. Clarke, at 30, had evidently taken on a Head of Department rôle which no one else wanted but the stresses of teaching do not often lead to such an outcome. It was said, at the time, that his mind had been deranged by violent material on the internet, along with drink and drugs. Not things most of us would see as mitigating.

Memories are very short for many people: last time I was in the area, Clarke had mysteriously become a maths teacher who lost it and killed one of his own pupils.

Micky reminds us that the real legacy of these deeds lives on. I wish him well.

Last edited:
You are very welcome to stay, if something interests you.

I think that it must be horrific for a victim to know that the cause of their pain is being released, do they relocate them far from the scene of their crimes??

Once someone has served their time they're free, free to do whatever they like, free to go where they like as far as I know

How does that make you feel, that he might be around, you could bump into him at anytime, I am sorry, you don't have to answer that if you do not wish to

Once someone has served their time they're free, free to do whatever they like, free to go where they like as far as I know

People convicted of murder then paroled remain on a 'life licence' meaning they are effectively on parole for the rest of their days and can be returned to prison immediately and indefinitely if they break any terms of their release or are judged to be a danger to the public, notwithstanding any further criminal convictions which can trigger a return to jail. Current sentencing guidelines state that for someone convicted of murder who is paroled and then murders again the starting point is a whole-life term without release.

I know that they must always stay in touch with a Probation official and notify any changes in address, any paid or voluntary jobs and cannot travel out of the UK without prior approval. There may be more restrictions.

(I hope this reassures you a little bit)

Back