• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Magazine Survey

The danger with printing too many IHTM style stories is that people start to get publication-crazy and start...umm...shall we say 'embellishing' in order to get their story into a magazine?
They do get an awful lot of them submitted. The ones selected for publication "feel" legit. When we were still an actual part of the mag the ones that didn't quite make the grade but were nonetheless interesting would get directly posted into the IHTM section here instead. Even so, there will still loads that are binned.

They do get an awful lot of them submitted. The ones selected for publication "feel" legit. When we were still an actual part of the mag the ones that didn't quite make the grade but were nonetheless interesting would get directly posted into the IHTM section here instead. Even so, there will still loads that are binned.
Glad to hear that the quality control is still operative!

If we sent in the email copy, will that be rejected, and thus we should redo it with the Survey Monkey version?

I'd be happy to complete if it's on Survey Monkey.

As would many, many more people than will go through the rigmarole to complete the current one.

If we sent in the email copy, will that be rejected, and thus we should redo it with the Survey Monkey version?
No, the original responses are all being incorporated. It's the same survey, same options, just automated.
I'd be happy to complete if it's on Survey Monkey.

As would many, many more people than will go through the rigmarole to complete the current one.
That's the hope. Just to be clear it's not Survey Monkey, it's Google based, but Chris Josiffe and I are running it and have the data control so no need to worry about data being shared, etc. The names and email addresses will only be used for the prize draw, and then those records will be cleared.

Ah, excuse me. I may have missed something- so there is an online survey on the way?
Sadly the free version is a bit limited.

However- it is now online as an automated Google Forms based one. They're keeping it open for a few more weeks (end March / early April), so if you have yet to respond, please take a couple of minutes. They - and we - really would appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall being at the Uncon (2006, I think or thereabouts) and there was a panel discussion about what FT was where it could or should go, this may not have been the overall topic but it certainly went in that direction. I think an audience member made a comment about there being too much "non-Fortean" stuff, I think around this time there were some Dr Who related articles and cover stories and possibly other Sci-Fi type ones. This was understandable as staff might want what to increase interest using the renewed focus on Dr Who, and there will no doubt me much SF fan/Fortean overlap.

One panellist made the point that there are only so many mysteries and there bigger more obvious ones have already been exhaustively covered. Everyone here probably knows all the "big hitters" as it were, there will always be newbies but I suppose appealing to both crowds is difficult. Repeated exposure as well as maturing (I have been a subscriber since my teens) have made me much more sceptical, we are no closer to proving the existence of UFOs and bigfoot than we were when I was a child reading any books I could find on the subject.

Have filled in the survey, I only have suggestion, it's the only thing I can think of: more IHTM type cases and maybe some sort of format - beyond the letters page, where they can be discussed on an ongoing basis with both readers and FT writers contributing. However, that is perhaps turning FT into something like the forum...

I only have suggestion, it's the only thing I can think of: more IHTM type cases and maybe some sort of format - beyond the letters page, where they can be discussed on an ongoing basis with both readers and FT writers contributing. However, that is perhaps turning FT into something like the forum...
There are Fortean Follow-ups for non-personal caeses, but for IHTM then online really is the only practical way to do so - given the horrendous lag in (especially) overseas subscribers getting their copies, the potential delay in responses to an IHTM could easily be four months, responses to the responses another four, etc.

There are Fortean Follow-ups for non-personal caeses, but for IHTM then online really is the only practical way to do so - given the horrendous lag in (especially) overseas subscribers getting their copies, the potential delay in responses to an IHTM could easily be four months, responses to the responses another four, etc.

Yes, I thought was likely impractical. Was at a loss to make any suggestions to the mag, I have no plans to unsubscribe but enjoy it less than I used to, I just wanted to sound out some sort of constructive suggestion. In terms of my enjoying it less, that is more likely me than the mag anyway.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this survey, which is now closed.

And an extra special thank you to Mr Stu Neville, who created the Google Docs poll, infinitely better than the two-empty-bogrolls-and-a-piece-of-twine effort with which I'd originally begun things.

We've had far more responses than we envisaged, which is great news - as it means there's a 98% chance (confidence level) of the received responses being within a ±1.89% margin of error (it says here). In other words, we can be confident that the responses are representative of the FT readership as a whole.

I shall now collate the results, in particular, the free-text answers to questions 2 & 3, and forward them on to FT's esteemed editor.

Thanks again to all who took part and helped us out.

All hail the mighty stu :bdown:just been listening to you on the myths and monsters podcast stu and your fortean path/interest is just like mine and I suppose like a lot more of us in fortean land.
I thought you might sound like vincent price but nope just quite normal really.
Bit of a let down that

All hail the mighty stu :bdown:just been listening to you on the myths and monsters podcast stu and your fortean path/interest is just like mine and I suppose like a lot more of us in fortean land.
I thought you might sound like vincent price but nope just quite normal really.
Bit of a let down that

dracula.gif

I think I'll get it inscribed on my grave stone :)

Back