• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

magnetic anomaly in canada

Melf

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
magentic anomaly in canada

has anything more been heard about the magnetic anomaly in canada? (its was orginaly mentioned "the news" issues 7 & 8 and then reprinted in the fortean times reprint 1-15 book) sorry but i havent got any other reprint books as yet. so i cant check

Don't know anything about this (never seen any early copies of FT/The News) - do you have any more details?

It could be connected with the forthcoming magnetic pole reversal - which is also believed to be responsible for the current magnetic anomaly off the S American coast.

not really. cos i got to locate my issue of the aformentioned book. so as soon as i do so. i add some more info

Prospect said:
It could be connected with the forthcoming magnetic pole reversal - which is also believed to be responsible for the current magnetic anomaly off the S American coast.

Is this a definite then? I realise that it has happened many times in the past and that it's overdue, but is it now generally accepted that the reversal is imminent?

Cavynaut said:
Is this a definite then? I realise that it has happened many times in the past and that it's overdue, but is it now generally accepted that the reversal is imminent?

I don't think it's actually definite - but the magnetic dipole is continuing to weaken and it is over 700,000 years since the last reversal.

However, it won't happen in our lifetimes - I think current projections are 1,000 to 2,000 years. Imminient, in geological terms :) And it's just as possible the dipole may strengthen again without going through an actual reversal.

Oooh, don't you just hate it when you spend hours (well, okay, a few minutes) looking something up only to find that someone else has posted before you? :mad: :D

Mutter, mutter...

Jane.

mejane said:
Oooh, don't you just hate it when you spend hours (well, okay, a few minutes) looking something up only to find that someone else has posted before you? :mad: :D

Mutter, mutter...

Jane.

:D :D :D

Prospect said:
I don't think it's actually definite - but the magnetic dipole is continuing to weaken and it is over 700,000 years since the last reversal.

However, it won't happen in our lifetimes - I think current projections are 1,000 to 2,000 years. Imminient, in geological terms :) And it's just as possible the dipole may strengthen again without going through an actual reversal.

I saw a TV programme last week on the geological history of the Earth which claimed that magnetic north is moving north-eastwards from Canada across the pole towards Siberia.

Is this part of the same process?

Back