Magnetic / Gravity / Mystery Hills (Where Things 'Roll Uphill')

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
View attachment 8462 There's a really good railway "Electric Brae" at Law in South Lanarkshire. The West Coast Main Line diverges at Law Junction with the straight ahead route heading for Motherwell and the line to the right going to Wishaw and Holytown Jn. This photo I took a couple of years ago shows it reasonably well; the Holytown line on the right looks like it is climbing significantly but in fact the gradient on both lines is falling, it's just the main line drops away at a much steeper rate. Off the top of my head I think the fall on the Holytown line is around 1 in 800ish. It's a pretty convincing optical illusion and is even better in real life but sadly only train drivers and railway engineers (like me) riding up the front get to experience it.
Oh my FLIP, why haven't I seen this before? Brilliant!

RaM

Justified & Ancient
I have heard of this but not experienced it for my self, was always under the impression that it was a optical illusion.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Escet (our own former CERN physicist) was talking about this phenomenon over a curry and beers recently. We had a lot to talk about! but we may have agreed to visit some gravity hot-spots. I'll report back!

It's an illusion though innit. Out on the bikes, I often think we're level or going downhill when Techy says we're actually fighting the gradient*, or vice versa. Maybe some people are worse at judging gradients than others?

*Though he's sometimes convinced we're climbing/descending along a canal path. Canals have to be level or the water would fall out.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I have heard of this but not experienced it for my self, was always under the impression that it was a optical illusion.
It is an optical illusion.

I've been to the Electric Brae and viewed the phenomenon myself. I have several photos of the area, but for some reason, I can't get my Windows 8.1 lappy to open the .jpeg files on the DVD-R.

The illusion is caused by the road dropping off out of sight down a steep slope, with rising hills in the background. This leads the eye to suppose that it's running uphill, whereas the opposite is the case.

maximus otter

lee

Junior Acolyte
Dangerous, for sure. Fun? Yep.

I was with some fiends and other animals in Scotland late last year and we had seen the Electric Brae mentioned in FT so we took a look.

It took 3 goes, but when we started rolling backwards we were really freaked out by it. Bearing in mind the scene: 3 Cars each with 4x 30 somethings in it, all rolling backwards - UPHILL.

Very cool, I recomend it to anyone.

Our best guess was the way the level horizon of the sea works with the surrounding landscape.
I went there to try it years ago and nothing happened. I put my disappointment down to wrong atmospherics on the day.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
This is so poorly described that I'm not sure what is meant, but is this spot in the Redwoods the same phenomenon?

'Mystery Spot'
Warning: Contains Jonathan King.

From 2:50, but you may as well watch from the start.

More Forteana (The Winchester House) at 8:36