• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Magnus Pyke

carole

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Can anyone remember Dr Magnus Pyke? I forget what TV program he was on, but he certainly cultivated the image of the mad scientist.

Carole

It was the strange little, once-famous telly science pundit Dr. Magnus
Pyke who lifted the lid on a wartime plan to turn all the UK into
vampires.

It was proposed that in the event of serious food shortages, human
blood given for transfusions should be turned into puddings.

As a scientist, he strongly supported the idea and felt it was only
silly squeamishness which scuppered it. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
The late Dr Pyke was a govenrment nutritionist. He had many outre ideas including slaughtering and cooking all the pet dogs in Britain to feed to hens whose eggs would nourish pregnant women.

I used to like Prof Magnus Pyke. He was a nutritionist but was game for all sorts on TV, like demonstrating surface tension by mixing custard in a cement mixer, and even appeared on a novelty single.
('She blinded me with SCIENCE!' Most ironic and funny. :) )

Speaking of eating people - or at least peopley stuff - does anyone remember Dr Magnus Pyke, the gesticulating scientist from the 1970s programme Don't Ask Me? Well, turns out that while working for the wartime Ministry of Food, he proposed a novel way of dealing with the excess blood plasma that had been donated upon a patriotic surge; why not turn it all into black puddings? And it kind of made sense, in a grisly sort of way, considering what was happening with rationing at the time.

Didn't happen, of course - or so we've been told...

I liked Magnus Pyke - a scientist but certainly not a science worshipper, as his book 'The Science Myth' proved. Pity he came to such a sad end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_Pyke

One of Pyke's wartime ideas was to euthanise all the pet dogs in Britain and process them into chicken food, so that pregnant women could have fresh eggs every day. :?

escargot1 said:
One of Pyke's wartime ideas was to euthanise all the pet dogs in Britain and process them into chicken food, so that pregnant women could have fresh eggs every day. :?

The scweinhund! No True Englishman would suggest such a thing! A chgeling I tell you! When he went to study in Canada he was Replaced by a French-Canadian Imposter!

Pyke was a childhood hero of mine and nothing would surprise me about the wonderfully eccentric goof!

Back