• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Man Coughs Up Intact Blood Cast Of His Lung Passageways

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Anything coughed up is almost certain to be unpleasant, but this is extraordinary ...

NOTE: A photo of the clot / cast is available with the article (see link below).

Man Coughs Up a Giant Blood Clot in the Shape of His Lung
A man coughed up a large blood clot that was in the shape of his "bronchial tree," or the lung's branched airway passages. ...

The 36-year old man was being treated for a serious heart condition, according to a new report of the case, published Nov. 29 in The New England Journal of Medicine. He had chronic heart failure, which means the heart muscle can't pump enough blood to meet the body's normal demands.

His condition was so severe that doctors put him on a machine called a ventricular assist device, which helps the heart pump blood. But because these machines can also increase the risk of blood clots, he was prescribed a blood-thinner medication.

However, these medications also increase the risk of bleeding, including coughing up blood. Indeed, the patient had several coughing episodes in which he expelled small amounts of blood ... But then, during an "extreme bout of coughing," the patient spit out an "intact cast" of the right bronchial tree. In other words, it was a mold (cast) made of clotted blood in the shape of the lung's branched airway passages known as bronchi.

"We were astonished," Dr. Georg Wieselthaler, a heart and lung surgeon at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) ... "It's a curiosity you can't imagine — I mean, this is very, very, very rare."

It's less rare for patients to cough up bronchial "casts" made of other substances, such as lymph or mucus. But blood is less sticky and sturdy than these other substances, meaning that a cast made of blood is less likely to hold together when coughed up ...

Even though the man had no further episodes of coughing up blood, he unfortunately died a week later from complications of heart failure. ...

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/64259-giant-lung-shaped-blood-clot.html

Extraordinary picture - saw it in the Metro and assumed it was a fake. Some-one should tell them that it was a blood clot and not part of his lung. At least they said it was impossible to cough up the whole lung because the trachea is too narrow.

Can relate. During a bad chest infection a year or so back I coughed up a little green 'tree', about as long as the palm of my hand. It was a lung cast.

Would have photographed it but I was alone and ill and couldn't manage with only one hand. (The other being occupied with holding the tree.)

Wish I'd kept it to show Techy but he'd have probably just chucked up, the wussy.

Just recovering from a chest infection but despite coughing up enough stuff to keep half the local sea food shops happy
that report takes things to a whole new level.
:eek:

That is both disgusting and amazing. Poor fellow.

Poor bloke later died. He was only in his mid-30s.

Bump ... Live Science re-ran this article, so I thought it was time to post the photo here for archival purposes.

BloodClotCastOfLung-NEJM.jpg

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/64259-giant-lung-shaped-blood-clot.html

The formation of such casts in the lung's passages is generally subsumed under the label plastic bronchitis. Such casts are most commonly composed of less rigid materials than the blood clot cast illustrated above.
Plastic bronchitis (PB) is a disorder in which branching casts of the airways are expectorated. PB is not a single disease with a defined mechanism that explains the cast formation in all conditions. Examples of diseases associated with expectoration of casts, and which sometimes are labeled PB include tuberculosis, atypical mycobacterial disease, allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis and asthma.

When casts are very large with many branches, an abnormal communication or leakage of lymphatic fluid into the airway is often the cause. This entity is termed lymphatic plastic bronchitis (LPB). LPB is a lymphatic flow disorder characterized by the recurrent formation of branching, rubbery bronchial casts composed primarily of proteinaceous and sometimes chylous material and lymphocytes. Lymphatic fluids deposited into the airspaces become gelatinous as they cool, forming large string cheese-like casts of the airways, which can obstruct airflow. Attempts to expectorate casts can be quite frightening, leading to fears of asphyxiation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_bronchitis

Wow, that must have hurt?? It looks very solid for a clot, poor fellow.

Back