• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Man Eating Lake Monster! (Russia; Lake Chany)

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
THE MAN EATER OF LAKE CHANY
One of Russia’s largest lakes seems to be the home a large, powerful and dangerous creature that locals say has killed 19 fishermen. Lake Chany is virtually unknown in the west but it is a vast expanse of water covering 770 square miles. Its is 57 miles long by 55 miles wide but is fairly shallow at only 23 feet deep with an average depth of only 6 feet. Lake Chany is in the southern part of the province of Novosibirsk Oblast close to the borders of Kazakhstan.
The creature involved in the attacks is described as serpentine and huge. The beast claimed its latest victim, a 59 year old fisherman last week. 60 year old Vladimir Golishev was in the boat then the creature overturned it and dragged his friend away. He told the daily mail...
“I was with my friend some 300 yards from the shore. He hooked something huge on his bait and stood up to reel it in. But it pulled with such force it overturned the boat. I was in shock-I had never seen anything like it in my life. I pulled off my clothes and swam for the shore, not daring hope I would make it. He didn’t make it and thy have found no remains. It’s time to find out the truth.”
In 2007 a 23 year old special services soldier, Mikhail Doronin was lost when something capsized his boat. His 80 year old grandmother Nina was watching from the shore and said that the lake was calm. Her husband 81 year old husband Vladimir said “Something on an awesome scale lives in the lake, but I have never seen it.”
Official figures say that 19 people have vanished in the lake in the past three years. Locals say the figure is actually much higher and that remains have washed ashore with bite marks showing large teeth.
Now fishermen are demanding an official probe.
Lake Chany is too far north and far too cold for crocodiles.
In Kazakhstan there is a tradition of gigantic black snakes 10 meters long. On my almasty expedition in 2008 the Ukrainian archeologist Anatoly Sidorenko told me that he had seen such a serpent in Kazakhstan and his father, an experienced hunter in his youth had seen one as well. Snakes how ever swallow their food whole and do not bite it into pieces.
The creature could be a gigantic eel or alternatively something unknown to science. It may be a giant semi-aquatic reptile, possibly one that hibernates in winter. The case brings to mind medieval stories of lake and mire dwelling dragons. The long and short of it is that as it stands there is too little information on which to make a decent guess at the nature of the beast.
This story runs like something out of a Hollywood horror movie. A giant serpentine monster lurking in a lake and eating human victims. A community held in terror and demanding an investigation.

.... but the Mayor won't close the lake, because it's the tourist season.

Great story, but if there's even the remotest grain of truth about it I'd be surprised.

It could be a giant eel that hides in the mud at the bottom of the shallow lake. They would tend to be carnivores and possibly man eating given a chance. I think most lake monsters are said to be man eating at one time or another in their history. Something to think about the next time I'm swimming in Lake Ontario which also has a history of lake monsters. :shock:

I fear Old Rover might be right. Russian news agencies are not know for accuracy. But if i had the chance to go and check it out i'd jump at it.
In a years time it will be a cheapy movie on the ScFi channel in the states.

In a years time it will be a cheapy movie on the ScFi channel in the states.

which I'll probably try to sit through when it comes over here on the horror channel, sad as that is.

Have you seen the Mongoilian Dathworm film? Transparently not shot in Mongolia (looks like some prarie) and with worms ranging 15-50 foot and looking like no description of the deathworm i've ever heard.
Also they did a film with a white yeti, i really, really hate that! YETIS ARE NOT WHITE!!!!!!!

No I haven't come across that yet, but I will. I think I know the yeti one though, if it's the one I'm thinking of I put it on thinking, please dont let it be about American college kids, and please don't let Chelan Simmons be in it. then up comes the blue info box - an American college football team's plane crashes in the Himalayas (presumably the one place it's caught on is Nepal).... and your heart sinks because you've been cheated again, but it's no ones fault but your own, so you slink over to the horror channel, to be confronted by more American college kids pursued by another wonky bit of CGI and worse Chelan Simmons really is in this one.

Nesski has hit again:

Russian fishermen demand an investigation into killer Nesski's 19 lake deaths in three years

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 10:08 AM on 12th July 2010

* Comments (49)
* Add to My Stories

Russian fishermen are demanding a probe into a creature resembling the Loch Ness monster in a remote Siberian lake.

Locals say that 'Nesski' has devoured anglers who have been pulled into the murky waters of Lake Chany from their boats.

Those claiming to have glimpsed the creature say it resembles the classic long-necked image of Scotland's fabled monster. It has also been called 'snake-like', while other accounts suggest a large fin and huge tail.
In this photo illustration, a witness points to where one of the men went missing, alongside a close-up of the creature that has been dubbed 'Nesski'

In this photo illustration, a witness points to where one of the men went missing, alongside a close-up of the creature that has been dubbed 'Nesski'

The latest mysterious death of a 59-year-old man last week has fuelled demands for a proper probe into what lurks beneath the surface of Chany, one of Russia's largest freshwater lakes.

'I was with my friend... some 300 yards from the shore,' said 60-year-old Vladimir Golishev. ''He hooked something huge on his bait, and he stood up in the boat to reel it in.

'But it pulled with such force that he overturned the boat. I was in shock - I had never seen anything like it in my life.

'I pulled off my clothes and swam for the shore, not daring hope I would make it.'

He said his friend was pulled under the surface, a description in common with earlier incidents.

'He didn't make it - and they have found no remains.'

Three years ago 32-year-old Mikhail Doronin - a special services soldier - was lost.

'The lake was calm, but suddenly the boat was rocking, and it capsized,' said his 80-year-old grandmother Nina, who has lived beside the lake all her life.

'Something of an awesome scale lives in the lake, but I have never seen it,' said her husband, Vladimir, 81.

Official figures say 19 people have drowned in the lake in the past three years and in most cases their remains were never found. Locals say the true figures are higher.

Some bodies that have been washed up had been eaten by a creature with large teeth, they claim.

'It is time to find out the truth,' said Golishev.

Unlike deep Loch Ness, Lake Chany is no than 23 feet in depth. Frozen in winter, it is warm and popular with swimmers in summer. It is known to contain large carp.

The lake is 57 miles in length by 55 miles in width. A relic of the Ice Age, accounts of monsters in its waters were first made public in Soviet times.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... esski.html

Could we observe hypenation, please?

Man Eating Lake Monster doesn't mean Man-Eating Lake Monster, although the former might have been quite a story, too!

(Yes, I am a professional editor.) edit to add: And I'm sort of disappointed that it wasn't a man eating a lake monster. There's a whole SYFY movie in that.

Co-starring Chelan Simmons, as an adorable all American girl.

oldrover said:
Co-starring Chelan Simmons, as an adorable all American girl.

Who (even though she is a Canadian) leads her whole troop of precocious Girl Scouts to said lake where they had planned to study the mating habits of some rare species including the cute boys who just happen to be helping their wily uncle rebuild his lake-side cabin.

(I will stop, now. Promise.)

I just Google Earthed the lake and it has the weirdest topography around it.
Surely if it's only 6 feet deep it must freeze solid in winter? How does something that big conceal itself in a lake that shallow? There wouldn't just be a wash on the surface, there would be secondary turbulence caused by water it displaced bouncing of the bottom then hitting the surface.
I've said this before: Russia, The Land That Truth Forgot. ;)

Bigfoot73 said:
Surely if it's only 6 feet deep it must freeze solid in winter?
If fishermen go there, presumably it has fish, which must also survive the winter. So although the shallowest parts might freeze solid, there's probably still liquid water under the ice in the deeper parts. And maybe there are underwater caves - an ideal lair for a monster! 8)

Yes thats the one Old Rover. What a pile of shite. None of the script writers do an once of research. Its like anacondas, its set in Borneo. What are the anaconders doing, having a holliday? Its also got South American monkeys and birds as well as tigers who despite being found on Sumatra are not native to Borneo.

Yes thats the one Old Rover. What a pile of shite. None of the script writers do an once of research. Its like anacondas, its set in Borneo. What are the anaconders doing, having a holliday? Its also got South American monkeys and birds as well as tigers who despite being found on Sumatra are not native to Borneo.

10 things to make a syfy/zone horror monster pic.

1)Chelan Simmons for reasons which will at no point in the film become apparent, except possibly brand continuity.
2)preferably one actor whose been in a made for television, rather than straight to video film, to give it some class. or an actor who has been in real films but now is on his/her arse. eg Billy Zane.
3)John Rhys Davies to play Chelan Simmons father
4) the keys to a closed factory, this can be used for a ship's engine room, space ship, secret research facility, oil rig, closed factory.
5)access to a woods, interestingly American woodland can double for any terrestrial/extra terrestrial environment not covered in option 4.
6) a lake, if 4 and 5 can't be adapted to suite.
Either- 7)some men, and at least one women dressed in black with guns and little head microphones.
if ammunition proves cost prohibitive, or will alert security guard in the case of option 4, scratch film afterwards to look like a laser and adapt script accordingly to include sci fi element, or not.
Or -8 a group of teens, must be demographically diverse but representative, in the form of stereotypes.
9) a camper van. option 8 only.
10) A good working knowledge of Ebay bidding tactics to procure props and CGI equipement.

SHAYBARSABE said:
Could we observe hypenation, please?

Man Eating Lake Monster doesn't mean Man-Eating Lake Monster, although the former might have been quite a story, too!

(Yes, I am a professional editor.) edit to add: And I'm sort of disappointed that it wasn't a man eating a lake monster. There's a whole SYFY movie in that.
"Delicious, these lake monsters." [/ISIRTA]

Shouldnt there be a nubile young women,getting her kit off,for no understandable reason, in a horror/sci fi channel monster movie?

Shouldnt there be a nubile young women,getting her kit off,for no understandable reason, in a horror/sci fi channel monster movie?

In teen scenario I think there probably is, but I've never made it past the camper van, so I cant be sure, I've only ever made it through Malibu Shark Attack, Pterodactyl, and Chupacabra-Dark Seas, which as far as I can remember was a mishmash of 70's disaster movies, complete with older rich woman and gigolo and little dog.

lordmongrove said:
The long and short of it is that as it stands there is too little information on which to make a decent guess at the nature of the beast.

There is another thread on this lake monster: http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27399

And this one suggests something like a plesiosaur and does not descend into film critique at the first opportunity :roll:

:lol:

There is another thread on this lake monster:

Yes but I prefer this one, due to its high cultural content.

In my view the two guys whose blog there's a link to on the other thread are cranks, I happened to see their Serpent video last week, it's so unambiguously a flock of birds its impossible to credit how they could have mistaken it.

An unpublished article I wrote on lake monster attacks in Russia. I'd really like to get over there and investigate.
I will have to post it in sections.

RED WATER: THE MAN EATING LAKE MONSTESS OF RUSSIA
Richard Freeman
Most people who have studied the history of the Loch Ness Monster will be aware of the story of Saint Columba Confronting a man eating monster in the River Ness and driving it away with the sign of the cross. The story is almost certainly apocryphal, spun to give the missionary more clout in converting Picts.
There is a story from Wales of a man eating lake monster. Llyn-y-Gadair is a small round lake near to Snowdon. In the 18th century a man decided to swim across it. His friends, who were waiting for him on the bank, were horrified to see a serpentine creature coiling after him as he swam. As he approached the shore the thing reared up and wound about him like a python. He was dragged back into the lake never to be seen again.
These tales are like a vicarage tea party compared to some of the stories coming out of lakes in Siberia.
Lake Chany is virtually unknown in the west but it is a vast expanse of water covering 770 square miles. Its is 57 miles long by 55 miles wide but is fairly shallow at only 23 feet deep with an average depth of only 6 feet. Lake Chany is in the southern part of the province of Novosibirsk Oblast close to the borders of Kazakhstan in southern Siberia. It is frozen from October to April, but reaches 20 C in July.
A story has unfolded in the lakes waters in recent years that sound like the plot of a horror movie. A powerful, snake-like monster some 30 feet long has said to have killed and eaten 19 people. The story broke in the west in 2010. The attacks apparently began around 2007.

The creature involved in the attacks is described as serpentine and huge. One witness, 60 year old Vladimir Golishev was in the boat then the creature overturned it and dragged his friend away. He told the Daily Mail...

“I was with my friend some 300 yards from the shore. He hooked something huge on his bait and stood up to reel it in. But it pulled with such force it overturned the boat. I was in shock-I had never seen anything like it in my life. I pulled off my clothes and swam for the shore, not daring hope I would make it. He didn’t make it and thy have found no remains. It’s time to find out the truth.”

In 2007 a 23 year old special services soldier, Mikhail Doronin was lost when something capsized his boat. His 80 year old grandmother Nina was watching from the shore and said that the lake was calm. Her husband 81 year old husband Vladimir said “Something on an awesome scale lives in the lake, but I have never seen it.”
Official figures say that 19 people have vanished in the lake in the past three years. Locals say the figure is actually much higher and that remains have washed ashore with bite marks showing large teeth.

Fishermen are demanded an official probe but the authorities passed off the deaths as ‘drownings’.
A blurry photograph purporting to show part of the monster was released at the same time as the main story. Like most cryptid pictures it is far from clear but may show a fin protruding above the water.

Needless to say Lake Chany is too far north and far too cold for crocodiles. The serpentine description makes the Chany creatures sound like huge eels. Lake Chany is landlocked. It has melt water rivers running into it but none running out. Apparently eels are unknown in the lake but perch, zander, roach and pike are present. It should be noted however that eels often turn up in landlocked lakes and ponds and are quite capable of travelling miles overland. However Lake Chany lies beyond its known distribution.
The community held in terror and demanding an investigation. One wonders if an official investigation will ever take place and if it does, what it will find?

Back