• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Man Takes Underwater Stroll In Loch Ness

KeyserXSoze

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/3145584.stm
A former leukaemia sufferer is starting a world record attempt to complete an underwater marathon along Loch Ness.
Lloyd Scott, 41, is attempting to complete the 26-mile underwater trek in an antique diving suit.

Mr Scott set a world record earlier this year by completing the London Marathon in the event's slowest time while wearing the ancient equipment.

The father-of-three from Rainham, Essex, hopes to raise more than £1m for cancer charity Children with Leukaemia by completing the stunt.

He said that his only concern was what to do if he met the loch's mythical monster.

"If I do meet Nessie, I'm not sure who will be more scared, the monster or myself," he revealed.

"I've been told the big copper helmet could give quite a big head-butt to the monster, so it will be quite nice to make his acquaintance."

The former firefighter will make his way along the underwater shelves and ledges that run around the banks of the loch, about 30ft below the surface at two miles a day.

He will also have an eight-man team monitoring his progress in a specially designed boat at the loch's surface.

The crew will track the adventurer using the latest GPS equipment and feed him air from and onboard pump.

While the 1,300 other marathon runners take their marks, Mr Scott will head for Fort Augustus, where the Caledonian Canal meets Loch Ness.

He plans to emerge from the water for the last time two weeks later to cross the Loch Ness marathon finishing line in Inverness.

The former chronic myeloid leukaemia sufferer began running marathons for charity after he was given a life-saving bone marrow transplant in 1989.

Mr Scott will set out at 1000 BST on Sunday.

This impress me much more than David Blaine. And it is for good cause. What a great guy! I hope he has friendly encounter with Nessie and stays safe!

after reading that article

the thing that came to mind was "that diver that came face to face with nessie (remember that? on some discover show or something?) and how this proffessional diver said "It was horrible! shocking looking " it almost made him freak-out, & hyperventilate under water etc..and he swam away in "utter terror!!!"- to the serface,..(remember that story?). I just happened to be on whitley streibers "dream country last night , to read the latest ., and he has a ' lake monsters and bigfoot ' article in the newest section of "news etc..", and it has a link to the underwater film of "Nessie" coming up to the camera" and its pretty spooky" (if you happen to be underwater and that just 'came up ,out of the darkness'like it does in the breif clip" jeeeezzz! ..just my thought..

Underwater Loch Ness Walker Continues After Fall
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Fri October 3, 2003 11:23 AM ET
LONDON (Reuters) - A charity fundraiser attempting an underwater marathon beneath the surface of Scotland's Loch Ness, famed for its legendary monster, pressed on with his subaquatic trek on Friday after injuring his shoulder falling from a ledge.
Lloyd Scott, wearing an old-fashioned deep sea diving suit, is walking a 26 mile stretch of the loch at a depth of up to 30 feet to raise money for a children's cancer charity.

Nine and a half miles into his journey on Thursday he lost touch with his guide rope and fell 15 feet down a 300 feet (90 meter) sheer drop, injuring his shoulder.

"It was incredibly silty and I had zero visibility. I had to drop down on my hands and knees to find the line and I just went over a ledge," he told ITV news.

But Scott, who last year took over five days to complete the London marathon above ground in a full diving suit, dismissed the incident as minor and returned to the water on Friday.

Weather permitting, he hopes to finish the walk next Thursday. Murky conditions have hindered his ability to look out for the loch's most famous resident -- its mysterious monster.

"So far, all he's seen is one fish," said his spokeswoman.
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thomas

Nice Terry Thomas picture, rynner.

Interesting stunt, very weird and useless and utterly Fortean. Bravo. I wish the loon well.

Loch Ness Marathon diver surfaces
Link is dead. The MIA webpage's text is quoted in full below, and it can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2003111...k/content/default.asp?page=s1_1_1&newsid=1482

The archived webpage does not include any photo(s), and the link to a video is dead.

Britain's wackiest marathon man has completed the first ever 26 mile trek under Loch Ness. Charity fundraiser Lloyd Scott, wearing his antique diving suit, took a gruelling 12 days from start to finish.

Despite a few difficulties, the 41 year old from Essex said his monster challenge was well worth it. After taking his last few steps, the fundraiser was simply glad his adventure was all over.

He said: "The main thing is that I haven't got to put this suit on again tomorrow but no I've been raising money for children with leukaemia, we hope we have raised over £3 million as the result of their children's marathon challenge so its been worth the adventure worth everything step of the way."

Lloyd is no stranger to fundraising in his 180 lb suit, having already completed marathons in London, New York and Edinburgh. But his risky attempt in Loch Ness was not plain sailing. He said: "At times there was nil visibility and I had to crawl along on my hands and knees to follow the safety line so a few hairy moments but that's it thank goodness."

Asked if he caught any glimpse of the loch's famous inhabitant, he answered: " Well I only saw two fish the whole time I was in there so there's either not many fish in the loch or something's eaten them all."

Lloyd has not ruled out wearing the suit again for another fundraising attempt but for now, his thoughts have turned to taking a break to recover. He is thinking of a diving holiday - this time in South Africa with great white sharks.
Nice pic of him emerging from the Loch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update for closure ...

Scott completed his underwater stroll through Loch Ness, and he's gone on to do many more charity-related exercises ....
Underwater marathon man emerges from Loch Ness
Friday 10 October 2003 00:00

Lloyd Scott emerged from Loch Ness in an antique diving suit yesterday after a 12-day walk below the surface to claim a record as the world's first underwater marathon man. But he reported no sightings of the legendary monster.

Mr Scott, 41, a former firefighter and professional footballer from Rainham in Essex, spent more than a month training and qualifying as a diver before taking to the Loch to raise awareness of a fundraising drive for the charity Children with Leukaemia.

Mr Scott, himself a survivor of leukaemia, began his underwater journey on 28 September at the opposite end of Loch Ness in Fort Augustus and spent up to four hours a day under the 37F (3C) water, to a maximum depth of 30ft, wearing the 180lb diving suit.

Covering an average of three miles a day in almost zero visibility Mr Scott, who has previously worn the same outfit in more conventional land marathons in London, New York and Edinburgh, said the journey had been a real adventure.

"I've had to cope with poor visibility, which has at times been nil, I've had to work against the resistance and the pressure of the water," he said as he emerged from the water at Lochend, near Inverness. "The air line also kept getting caught and I also had to deal with a build-up of carbon dioxide in the helmet. It's also very cold and very lonely."

Mr Scott is already planning his next unusual fundraising stunt - cycling across Australia on a penny farthing bicycle.

SOURCE: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...arathon-man-emerges-from-loch-ness-90707.html

See Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Scott
http://www.davedavies.co.uk/products/Lloyd-Scott.html

Update for closure ...

Scott completed his underwater stroll through Loch Ness, and he's gone on to do many more charity-related exercises ....

SOURCE: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...arathon-man-emerges-from-loch-ness-90707.html

See Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Scott
http://www.davedavies.co.uk/products/Lloyd-Scott.html

That would set off so many people's phobias. Alone in the darkness, air running out, struggling against the water... He's a brave man.

Back