• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Man who lives in woods.

razorblimp

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm not sure if this warrants a IHTM, but there appears to be a man who lives in the woods near to where I live in Lincolnshire. I often see him from a distance when I'm walking the dog and he's always reading a book. He has made a shelter from the roots of a tree which has fallen to its side, and is always there when I see him, which has been often over the last eight or nine months, and even during the really cold snap we had recently. I've no idea what he eats or whether he moves (although he must at some point during the day), but I've found another shelter made from earth and branches within a distance of half a mile with a dead fire and leaves (possibly sweetcorn leaves).

My dog has given up barking at the man lurking, accepting him as part of the landscape. I've said hello a couple of times, before I even knew he was there I've probably urinated somewhere in his vicinity, but I'm a bit apprehensive in asking him what he's doing there, I get the feeling he just wants to be left alone.

The woods themselves are pretty quiet, and I can walk the dog at any time of the day without seeing another soul as it is a short drive to get there and most people don't want to bump half a mile along a track to do so.

Like I say, not sure if it's an IHTM, but I felt it was suitably fortean enough to warrant a posting as it puzzles me greatly.

Interesting story razorblimp, I bet your dieing to approach him, I wonder if he's English and how well constructed his place is, would Ray Mears be proud. Any sign of hunting or trapping? Mind you he might just be ill, keep us posted of any developments please.

Very odd! Does he look like a vagrant, like he actually lives in these woods all the time?

It should be noted that I like to go tramping off through the wilder parts of the woods, away from the footpaths. I've not scrutised him up close, but he has a beard, and must be pretty hardy to get through the cold snap. He looks quite healthy, and always seems to be reading. The first time I saw him, it looked as though he'd stopped off for the night, and just wanted to get off the beaten track slightly. The Lincolnshire part of the national cycle route is less that a mile away, so I assumed he'd made a slight detour to get some shelter. He didn't seem too vagrant-like. He does have a pushbike, and what looks like a homemade tricycle trailer for it, so I assume he leaves the wood from time to time. You should know how a tree looks when it's fallen over, but the bigger ones have extremely large roots which can extend a long way and can be covered with things like earth and branches. There's a hollow in the ground where the roots were and it looks like this is where he's hunkered down. The shelter protects him from any wind on three sides, and I wouldn't have noticed him at all except for his bike, and when I started walking over to have a look, he emerged and I swiftly detoured. I walk the dog at different times during the day and he's always there. There's never any smoke of a fire that I notice, but there is another 'camp' a short distance away where a fire has been lit at some point in the recent past. I find the whole thing a bit curious and would love to have a closer look, except anyone who lives in a wood will probably be a bit too odd. I'm sure that one day my curiousity will win out and I'll just walk over to him, but for the moment I'll stay away. Maybe when the weather turns cold again I'll take him some warm coffee.

*edit for something I remembered*

Just say hello!

Hi Razorblimp.

Next time you pass him, give him a nod and bid him good morning/evening etc.

People often respond to politeness; you may find he is willing to strike up a conversation.

We did have a guy living near Salisbury in similar circumstances: beard, pushbike and well constructed camp, but the council wanted to develop the land and he was forced to move on - much to the outrage of many of the local community it must be said, as he was a decent guy and had many supporters.

I wonder if its the same person - this guy I speak of must have been in his fifties?

I'd love to know what he was reading! Wilderness survival books?

No need for that reading material if it is Ray Mears :lol:

my advice. Spend 3 quid buying a quarter bottle of some blended scotch. put in walking coat pocket.

Next time you're walking, and he's there, approach him. Offer a hello, and explain in this period of cold weather, you thought maybe he'd like a tot or two to keep the chill out (obviously offer the whole bottle to him, for keeps).

If he refuses, hey it goes in to your drinks cupboard. If he accepts, there's a chance that the next time you see him, the beginnings of a conversation could occur.

Just my opinion, of course.

_TMS_ said:
If he refuses, hey it goes in to your drinks cupboard. If he accepts, there's a chance that the next time you see him, the beginnings of a conversation could occur.

And obviously if he's a recovering alcoholic the warm feeling inside that you were the one who pushed him off the wagon. ;)

How about a thermos of hot chocolate instead?

How about some toilet paper? It's the small things :)

And some cake? Run up to him shouting, "EVERYBODY LIKES CAKE!" to get his attention.

Heckler20 said:
And obviously if he's a recovering alcoholic the warm feeling inside that you were the one who pushed him off the wagon. ;)
hell, the way i figure it is that if he lives in a reclaimed tree-stump hole, theres no "recovering" about it :D

There's a "bag man" who lives in a nature reserve near me. He's almost ghostly because if ever in clear view of someone, he takes great care to disappear as soon as you turn your head... According to various sources, he's schizophrenic and just prefers living in a tent under some trees.

gncxx said:
And some cake? Run up to him shouting, "EVERYBODY LIKES CAKE!" to get his attention.

Are you suggesting I run at him, kamikaze style then divebomb the poor chap with an eclair? :lol: It could be fun, but I'll probably go for the hot chocolate/coffee on a cold day approach!

I wonder how many people are permanantly living in places like woodland in Britain and America?

Wildman

Of course, Razorblimp, if you do all these things, one day you may walk into your local to see the wildman regaling the bar with tales of this weirdo he sees in the woods who keeps bombarding him with treats - and then it all goes quiet and everyone looks at you! :D

razorblimp wrote:
That normally happens to me in pubs around here.

Jolly truthful of you to admit such a thing !!!!

But on a serious note, any soul who has chosen such a hermit existence should be treated respectfully. Obviously he's not daft, as he would've frozen to death, or died of poisoning (bad berries) by now. Offer him a bit of a wave, or greeting, note his response and proceed with as much dignity as you can muster. (!!??) Perhaps he'd enjoy your company, perhaps not. Do keep us updated.

BTW, way back when the Vietnam War Memorial was erected in Washington DC, USA, I heard reporters mentioning that there are many, more than we might even believe, veterans who have chosen just such a radical lifestyle. This chap might even be one, or just an anti-establishment-you-can-all-jolly-well-chuck-it type.

You are all assuming this guy is nuts but he could just be a survivalist and not someone who is homeless. Some of his camping kit might be quite expensive. My brother is into survival and wild food etc and is always going off to the woods for the weekend. He doesn't stay for long periods but deciding to give up his job for a while and go and live in the woods for a few months is something I could see him doing. He also has a bike no car (but not a beard).

Is my brother mad? Absolutely, I haven't spoken to him for years because every conversation consists of how I need to be punished for blasphemys I have commited against the bible. He also reads reads a lot mainly books about christianity & the bible. This could almost be my brother. But this guy isn't nessarily a religious nut.

Probably he would regard you as a friend if you took an interest in survival/woodlands/the coming armageddon. I would guess that this guy doesn't drink alcohol or caffine though (welll my brother doesn't). Just say stuff like, morning, Hope I'm not disturbing you, sorry about the dog she always barks at strangers,blah, and get to know him more gradually.

[/i]

haha

Im loving this story its so batty! :lol:

if i was you i would just strike conversation something along the lines of ''chilli today isnt it?''
aaah weather talk never fails and if anyone knows about the daily weather its the bearded guy in the woods ;)

tell us wat happens cos its really funny :D

Chili followed by cake, a perfect winter warmer. He'll be well pleased mad or not.

Just don't sing to him 'if you go down to the woods today...'

Unless your quick enough to dodge a slap.

:?

Maybe best to steer clear. You have no idea what kind of inner universe he might be inhabiting. He might be a rugged individualist, or an iconoclastic misanthrope, or he might be completely insane. I saw a Salvation Army guy get sliced up pretty bad when he tried to wake someone sleeping in a doorway, just zip-zap, fast as you can snap your fingers, happened that fast.

dreeness said:
:?

Maybe best to steer clear. You have no idea what kind of inner universe he might be inhabiting. He might be a rugged individualist, or an iconoclastic misanthrope, or he might be completely insane. I saw a Salvation Army guy get sliced up pretty bad when he tried to wake someone sleeping in a doorway, just zip-zap, fast as you can snap your fingers, happened that fast.

:? OR... he might just be a sad lonely old man who is afraid of talking to anybody for fear they will think he is a weirdo.... :lol:

i wonder wats happened??
has the origional poster been bak to update?? ;)

devil_girl1 said:
:? OR... he might just be a sad lonely old man who is afraid of talking to anybody for fear they will think he is a weirdo.... :lol:

i wonder wats happened??
has the origional poster been bak to update?? ;)

Hi again. He's stll there, I've decided to leave the poor bloke alone with his reading. I've said hello to him a couple of times and the dog gives him a sniff most mornings, getting a stroke in return. I think he wants his space, so I'll give him it.

All's well that ends well. Perhaps he's deef, or had his vocal cords removed due to cancer. At least he pats yer pooch. Does he make eye contact, a wink, a nod ???

Sometimes I think it would be really nice to just go and live in the woods and live off berries (good berries of course). Then I remember about rain and spiders, and the rat-race suddenly doesn't look so bad after all.

Back