• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

lopaka

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I think there are at least three Texans who've been posting to the board recently, so perhaps they could help us out.

Quickly looking up in one of my books, the following seem notable:

The Marfa Lights are probably the most famous ghost lights/earth lights in the US. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
lopaka said:
The Marfa Lights are probably the most famous ghost lights/earth lights in the US.
They even have their own official website -- http://www.marfalights.com/ -- and a viewing area with a historical marker.

Link is dead. See later post for salvaged content from the MIA website.

Ever heard of the Marfa Lights ?

marfalights.com

We haven't got athread on this (although it has been mentioned in passing). A link:

http://www.marfalights.com

and report:

Article Published: Friday, November 05, 2004

In Texas, Bright Lights, Small City

By Zofia Smardz

In the remote, remarkable desert-mountain region of far west Texas, a wedge of country three hours south of El Paso and 1-1/2 hours north of Big Bend National Park and the Mexican border, the Marfa lights are just about the premier tourist attraction around.

The sun was gone, the sky getting inky. The wind had started to whip. (And even in the Texas desert, the winter wind can be cold.) I hunkered deeper into my jacket and jiggled for warmth. Behind me, my 16-year-old son loped restlessly back and forth, lupine, waiting. Suddenly a long lanky arm thrust past my face. "There's one!'' he cried, pointing at the horizon. "And over there!'' his younger brother echoed a moment later.

Off in the distance, about a quarter-mile away, a bright, starlike light glimmered into view just above the horizon, followed quickly by a second one. As the first flickered out, a third took its place, materializing out of nowhere. "Ooo, another one!'' I squealed, and again, as yet another twinkled momentarily above the other two. All at once, they disappeared together, as if an invisible hand had snuffed them out.

At my cries, the boys instantly dropped all airs of excitement. "You don't have to say 'Ooo' every time, Mom,'' they muttered, dripping with teenage sarcasm, and slid their eyes furtively left and right, though there was no one else much around.

That was a mercy for the boys, as it spared them any humiliation at maternal vocals. And it was a treat for all of us to have the viewing station pretty much to ourselves. But it was a shame, I thought, for all the people who weren't there, because on this January night, the Marfa lights were putting on a spectacular display. As we gawked, they blinked on and off, shifted position, appeared high in the sky one moment, hugged the horizon the next.

This time out, the lights were livelier than the first time we'd seen them six months before - at least it seemed so to me - and much closer to the descriptions I'd read of them. Still, my skeptical husband couldn't help quipping: "I think the local chamber of commerce just pays a few guys to go out there and stand around with some really big flashlights.''

The Marfa lights - spontaneous bursts of illumination that materialize, year-round, on clear nights over the Chihuahuan Desert in west Texas - are a bona-fide unexplained natural phenomenon. They've defied scientific rationalization for more than a century. Are they swamp gases? Bent light? Electrostatic discharges? Signal lights from alien spacecraft? Nobody knows where they come from or why they appear when and where they do. Oh, and they have their debunkers, who claim they're nothing more than the headlights of cars driving down the Chinati Mountains. Right.

Bottom line: They've stumped physicists and photographers and engineers, some of the best minds of the nation, for years.

I just love it when that happens.

In the remote, remarkable desert-mountain region of far west Texas, a wedge of country three hours south of El Paso and 1-1/2 hours north of Big Bend National Park and the Mexican border, the Marfa lights are just about the premier tourist attraction around. That is, of course, if you're looking to attract tourists, which doesn't seem to be that high on the agenda of the folks who live here. They seem fairly content to poke along from day to day in the midst of some of the most spectacular scenery in the continental United States, greeting interlopers politely, warmly, but incuriously. They don't push anything on you, and they don't try to market themselves.

Mostly, in fact, they talk about how little there is to do here. "Well, we're not the big city,'' a staffer at my son's boarding school in Fort Davis, Texas, mused modestly on our first trip a year ago, helping us consider sightseeing possibilities. He gave us a short list - historic Fort Davis, the pre- and post-Civil War U.S. Army post after which the town of Fort Davis is named; the McDonald Observatory high on a peak in the Davis Mountains; the scenic loop drive through and around said mountains; the local history museum in Alpine. Then after a pause: "Oh, yeah, and I guess there's always the Marfa lights.''

They're called the Marfa lights after the nearest town, a low-lying little burg of 2,424 that supposedly got its name, in turn, from a character in Dostoyevsky's "Brothers Karamazov'' (that being the book the railroad executive's wife, who suggested the moniker, was reading when she and her husband passed through this railway watering stop in the late 1800s). Marfa can make a few other claims to fame. It has one of the most beautiful courthouses in Texas, it was the location of the 1956 Elizabeth Taylor-Rock Hudson-James Dean movie "Giant,'' and it's home to the Chinati Foundation, a celebrated museum of contemporary art begun on an old military base by the late sculptor Donald Judd two decades ago.

Along with mile-high Fort Davis (pop. approximately 1,000) and the appropriately mountainous Alpine (the "big city,'' with a population of about 6,000), Marfa forms an equilateral triangle enclosing a swath of desert terrain out of which rise majestic volcanic mountain peaks, many higher than 6,000 feet. It's an arid, otherwordly beauty-like the landscape of the moon, or Mars, maybe, but for the scrubby grasses and bushes, yucca and cactus that stipple the flats and the mountainsides, and the cottonwoods that hug the creek banks. There's sky-blue as lapis on glorious days or roiling with thunderheads on stormy ones-every way you turn. Desert though it is, the climate's actually a draw; in the old days, wealthy merchants and entrepreneurs from Dallas and Houston traveled to the Davis Mountains to put up at the Limpia Hotel and enjoy the dry air and pleasant breezes. Yes, the temperatures can reach 110 degrees in the shade, but as you've no doubt heard, when it's this dry, you don't feel it.

What you do feel is the haunting nature of the place, the way it launches you back to another time. A frontier time, when people led hardscrabble lives and braved the wilderness and the elements to make a home in an inhospitable place, where water was scarce and other people scarcer.

The Marfa lights have been around since at least 1883, when a rancher by the name of Robert Reed Ellison supposedly first saw them shining in the distance as he bedded down in the desert one night. Ellison assumed they were Indian campfires. Only when he rode out the next day to the area where he'd spotted them, he found-cue "Twilight Zone'' music-no remains of any campfires.

Today, there's an official viewing area erected by the Texas Department of Transportation, complete with telescopes and restrooms. It's a little weird to have someone lay out the red carpet for what some people think could be UFO landing lights, but it's nice to be told where to have the best look-see.

----------------------
- Los Angeles Times

http://www.paradisepost.com/Stories/0,1413,292~30280~2517386,00.html

IT HAPPENED TO HE!

An admittedly tenuous connection, but this thread reminded me of a conversation I once had with my brother's father-in-law. He was a 30-year veteran with the US border patrol, and as such, was frequently involved in covert nighttime operations in an attempt to arrest drug smugglers ( 'mules' ), and prevent them from bringing their illicit cargoes across the Mexican/US border. He told me that on one such expedition, there were a group of about 20 officers parked at the top of a ridge, overlooking a dry river bed that was usually used by smugglers. They were scanning the area with high-powered binoculars, and suddenly detected a flurry of bright lights, flashing on and off, down below them in the canyon. They immediately descended, both on foot and in their vehicles, coverged on the site and found - nothing. The activity had ceased by the time they arrived, and there was no evidence ( suspects, abandoned drugs, footprints ) that anyone had ever been there, much less in the preceeding few minutes that it took them to get to the spot. Deciding it had been a false alarm, they regrouped back to the top of the ridge, and had been there roughly a half-hour, when it started again- bright flashes of white light, in several directions, down in the valley. They all followed suit, rushed to the spot, and again - nothing. And no indication that anyone had been there. He told me that this happened at least 2 more times during the night, the last time shortly before dawn, when they were informed by radio that the drug smugglers had taken an alternate route, and had never been anywhere near the dry riverbed. When I asked him his opinion of what he and his men had seen that night, he refused to speculate. Shrugged his shoulders and would only offer that ''There's a LOT of weird stuff goes on out in the desert at night.''

Hey everyone. I'm new here, but have been interested in this kind of stuff and this sight in particular for a while now. At the moment I'm studying and hence living in Nottingham, England. So, because this is long, I'll divide it into sections, so pick and choose or read it all. ...

MARFA LIGHTS:

The Marfa Lights. Several places experience similar happenings as Marfa, Texas. Basically, very often little balls of flittering lights are seen moving around low in the air. My friend lives in Alpine, a town right outside of the area, and on returning from a high school band trip, saw, along with the other kids on the bus, several of these lights chasing and following them, eventually disappearing into nothing. They have never given anyone an uncomfortable feeling, though, that I've read. ...

This may be appropriate to the UFO sections but going by the book title, I put it here:

THE MARFA LIGHTS

Examining the Photographic Evidence (2003-2007)

By Manuel Borraz & V.J. Ballester Olmos

(July 2020)

We are pleased to announce the release of a book dedicated to the scientific analysis of photographs of the so-called “Marfa Lights,” an allegedly anomalous phenomenon recurrently observed in Marfa, Texas.​

Between 2003 and 2007, seven series of high-quality photographs were taken in the area, claimed to be genuine examples of close-to-the-ground lights that defy conventional explanation. They were not a simple subset of examples of MLs, but the best and most significant photographs ever achieved of the phenomenon.

Over two years, taking an almost forensic approach, we have analyzed this evidence and come to firm conclusions that establish the true nature of the lights beyond any reasonable doubt. We are convinced that the corollary applied to the images and events discussed can be justifiably extended to the rest of the Marfa “mystery lights.”

Using advanced astronomical and geographic software, we have developed a specific methodology for analyzing this type of photographic evidence, which other researchers can apply to identify similar images of “mystery lights” from other parts of the world.

We are proud of the reaction that scientists from a wide range of disciplines have had to our work, as the quotations in the attachment show.

This work is FOTOCAT Report #8 in a series of monographs produced by the FOTOCAT project. It contains 174 pages, 102 illustrations and 70 references. This monograph is available free of charge through the following link:

https://www.academia.edu/43589341/THE_MARFA_LIGHTS._Examining_the_Photographic_Evidence_2003-2007_

Ever heard of the Marfa Lights ?
marfalights.com

The informative summary to which the dead link above once led would seem to have been this webpage (as of the date of the 2004 posting):
hismark.GIF

Historical marker located at the Marfa Mystery Lights viewing site.​

The Loch Ness Monster was a hoax. Crop circles? Just a couple of guys and a really long piece of string. In an age where microscopes and videotapes expose and reveal even the mysteries of Houdini, one true mystery remains unexplained, unaccounted for, unresolved.

Nine miles east of the Texas city of Marfa, far out into the West Texas desert at the base of the Chianti Mountains lies or rather, floats an age-old conundrum. Small, ethereal, lights suspended in the air with no apparent source, no identifiable location. They float, they ebb, they glow and move . . . and they defy explanation.

The Ghost Lights of Marfa, as they've come to be known, were first reported more than a century ago. Robert Ellison, one of the first settlers in the area supposedly witnessed these mysterious glowing orbs in 1883. Since then the legend, and the surrounding curiosity, has grown. What once was a Texas-based story of interest has captured national recognition.

And from the scientific to science-fiction, everyone has a theory. The Apache Indians of years past believed the eerie lights were stars dropping to earth. Some romantics describe the lights as the torches of deceased lovers wandering endlessly in search of one another. What about aliens or UFOs in the area? Too hard to buy? How about high pressure ranch lights, St. Elmo's fire, or car headlights heading down nearby roads or highways. Of course, that doesn't explain why the lights have been around since way before electricity or cars were part of the landscape.

Thousands of visitors flock yearly to the small desert plain to witness the Ghost Lights. Few leave disappointed. And few have the same story. Some say the lights are pure white and constant. Others say they are colorful and mobile. Some never see more than three at a time. Others have reported noticing up to 10 dancing in the desert air. The only consensus: They definitely exist.

So why not just grab a handful of rocket scientists and go out and study them? Quite simply, no one can get near enough. Those who've tried leave frustrated, as the mystery lights disappear when approached.

So which is it? Science or sci-fi? Phenomenon or prank? The truth is, maybe it's better not to know. As of now, the mystery is real, defying explanation . . . and fueling imaginations.

SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:

https://web.archive.org/web/20041012054643/http://www.marfalights.com/history.html

This 2013 Live Science article summarizes some basics about the Marfa Lights.
What Are the Marfa Lights?

The Marfa Lights, mysterious glowing orbs that appear in the desert outside the West Texas town of Marfa, have mystified people for generations.

According to eyewitnesses, the Marfa Lights appear to be roughly the size of basketballs and are varyingly described as white, blue, yellow, red or other colors.

Reportedly, the Marfa Lights hover, merge, twinkle, split into two, flicker, float up into the air or dart quickly across Mitchell Flat (the area east of Marfa where they're most commonly reported). ...

There seems to be no way to predict when the lights will appear; they're seen in various weather conditions, but only a dozen or so nights a year. And nobody knows for sure what they are — or if they really even exist at all. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/37579-what-are-marfa-lights-texas.html

This 2010 Houston Chronicle article provides an overview of the Marfa phenomena.
What's going on in Marfa?

Light shows have puzzled onlookers for centuries

Marfa, a town of 2,100 in deep West Texas, is so remote the nearest Walmart is three hours away. ...

Nevertheless, tourists come from all over to see Marfa's acclaimed contemporary art museum, the location of the film classic Giant and the Marfa Lights, a very occasional, naturally occurring and much-discussed light show in the vast night sky.

"Here is a real scientific puzzle that still exists in this modern day and age, and nobody has solved it yet," says retired aerospace engineer James Bunnell. "You just don't find that every day." ...

There's no shortage, however, of theories.

Just the other day reporters and editors around the country received an e-mail about California videographer and self-described cryptozoologist Jonathan Whitcomb. ...

Whitcomb's theory about the lights?

He thinks they may be flying dinosaurs. ...

Bunnell, who has studied the phenomenon for the past nine years, says those early citizens thought the lights must be falling stars.

"That's a pretty logical deduction, even though it's wrong," Bunnell says.

Over the years, other explanations have ranged from the plausible to the preposterous.

In 1883 a young cowhand saw the flickering orbs while driving cattle and wondered if they were Apache campfires.

Others have imagined the yellow-orange lights to be dancing devils, ghosts, invading soldiers, owls with lights under their feathers and most recently, the dinosaurs.

Whitcomb's theory, loosely, is that the flying creatures emit a light or a glow that attracts insects. Then bats eat the insects, and the dinosaurs (he calls them ropen, pterosaurs and pterodactyls) feed on the bats. During the cooler months of the year, he says, the flying predators may chase rabbits, owls and rattlesnakes instead of bats or bugs.

While Whitcomb has been effective in broadcasting his views, he acknowledges that he has no scientific training, has never been to Marfa and has not seen the creatures whose patterns and habits he attempts to describe. He did make a trip to Papua New Guinea to investigate flying predators there but saw none. ...

Bunnell was retired when he happened to stop at the Marfa Lights roadside park and viewing center nine miles east of town.

"I just got lucky," Bunnell says. "The lights are rare, but I got one of the really good displays."

Inspired, Bunnell began collecting nightly video starting in 2003. Eventually his monitoring system included nine cameras that ran all night every night. Studying the data on his home computer, he came to understand the lights' frequency and behavior.

People think they see the naturally occurring light shows all the time, Bunnell says, but they're probably seeing car headlights on Highway 67 instead.

The car lights move from left to right in a repeating pattern, Bunnell says. The bona fide Marfa Lights, which appear in the night sky only 10 to 15 times a year, look like balls of light that split apart, then melt back together. Some seem to stand still. Some streak across the sky vertically or, more commonly, horizontally. Sometimes one will turn off and another will turn on as if connected by a light switch. ...

After all these years of study, Bunnell does have tentative theories that might explain the light displays. He's written three technical books on the subject, but here's the simple and condensed version:

Roughly 30 million years ago, a series of volcanoes erupted in and around Marfa, spewing ash. Today, underground, those huge plates of igneous rock still move and rub against each other. When enough pressure and friction builds up, the rocks act like batteries and produce an electromagnetic anomaly that causes the light show.

"But the details," Bunnell says, "we still don't understand."

The Marfa Lights are not unique; similar light shows appear in Italy, Australia, Norway and other spots around the globe. ...

Karl Stephan, an engineering professor at Texas State University, has been working with Bunnell to solve the Marfa Lights mystery once and for all.

Stephan has the highest regard for Bunnell but says there's still much work to do.

"It may be geological activity that creates electrical activity, but it's all speculation at this point," Stephan says. "There are no proven facts." ...

FULL STORY: https://www.chron.com/life/article/What-s-going-on-in-Marfa-1615575.php

This Texas State Historical Association webpage provides a historical overview of the phenomenon.
Marfa Lights

...The Marfa lights are often visible on clear nights between Marfa and Paisano Pass in northeastern Presidio County as one faces the Chinati Mountains. At times they appear colored as they twinkle in the distance. They move about, split apart, melt together, disappear, and reappear. Presidio County residents have watched the lights for over a hundred years. The first historical record of them recalls that in 1883 a young cowhand, Robert Reed Ellison, saw a flickering light while he was driving cattle through Paisano Pass and wondered if it was the campfire of Apache Indians. He was told by other settlers that they often saw the lights, but when they investigated they found no ashes or other evidence of a campsite. Joe and Sally Humphreys, also early settlers, reported their first sighting of the lights in 1885. Cowboys herding cattle on the prairies noticed the lights and in the summer of 1919 rode over the mountains looking for the source, but found nothing. World War I observers feared that the lights were intended to guide an invasion. During World War II pilots training at the nearby Midland Army Air Field outside Marfa looked for the source of the elusive lights from the air, again with no success. ...

Those who have viewed the lights over a long period personify them and insist that they are not only harmless but friendly. Mrs. W. T. Giddings, who grew up watching the lights and whose father claimed he was saved from a blizzard when the lights led him to the shelter of a cave, considers the lights to be curious observers, investigating things around them. Over the years many explanations for the lights have been offered, ranging from an electrostatic discharge, swamp gas, or moonlight shining on veins of mica, to ghosts of conquistadors looking for gold. The most plausible explanation is that the lights are an unusual phenomenon similar to a mirage, caused by an atmospheric condition produced by the interaction of cold and warm layers of air that bend light so that it is seen from a distance but not up close. ...

SOURCE: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/marfa-lights

Alex Yap-Young has made a Youtube video about the Marfa lights. He makes me laugh. I think you would like it. Some of the explanations are somewhat imaginative.

When I lived in Midland I took the kids and my friend to see the Marfa Lights one summer weekend. It was the 90's and Marfa was almost all boarded up. The pharmacy and a motel were the only businesses open. We had taken a picnic supper so after checking out the front room at the hotel that had a museum like case we found a parking spot (the county had paved and marked the area so you would know which direction to park because there were so many visitors). I remember seeing license plates from all over the country.

We faced the mountains just over the border and when the lights started it looked like small planes popping over the top of the mountains and flying along the front of the mountains. I remember doing some research and the most plausible explanation I found was that the phenomenon is an electromagnetic event similar to the aurora borealis. The closest I have seen since is videos on the Secrets of Skinwalker ranch when they get a bunch of orbs flitting around.

Back