• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mass Hand Sanitizer Use: Long Term Effects On The Environment

What a reversal.

The American CDC now says put away the hand sanitizer and all the disinfectant wipes.

Covid is air spread.

There is 1 in 10,000 chance you can catch covid from a surface.

No need to sanitize.

Just don't touch something and then touch your eyes.

So, we now need proper masks?
Like Michael Myers :oops:

2ada62b53df37759a0802e45bbf994be.jpg

What a reversal.

The American CDC now says put away the hand sanitizer and all the disinfectant wipes.

Covid is air spread.

There is 1 in 10,000 chance you can catch covid from a surface.

No need to sanitize.
I said this yonks ago. Been saying that the handwashing and sanitising is all a red herring.
Ah well, at least somebody made some money out of it.

To be honest I think the mass of plastic we are still dumping into everything is probably more of a problem.
We've been saying in the shop, that everyone seems to have forgotten about bringing bags to the supermarket in the presence of Covid. We'd been doing really well reducing the single use plastic bags, pre Covid. Customers were beginning to get the message and bring their own bags, or use baskets to carry stuff out to the car, or putting it in their pockets. Now it seems all bets are off, and people will ask for a carrier bag to take two ice creams and a loaf of bread out as far as the car park.

Of course, the 5p carrier bags also get used as cheap bins and bin liners, so at least they often get reused. But even so. And it's generally the younger fraternity, the bunch of 15-20 year olds that are asking for bags, probably as they don't yet have cars they have to carry their purchases home. But we also get people who are out doing their weekly shop, trolley full of shopping - and they never even thought to bring bags.

Edit
Loaf, not load of bread. If they'd bought a load of bread I probably wouldn't grudge them a bag.

We've been saying in the shop, that everyone seems to have forgotten about bringing bags to the supermarket in the presence of Covid. We'd been doing really well reducing the single use plastic bags, pre Covid. Customers were beginning to get the message and bring their own bags, or use baskets to carry stuff out to the car, or putting it in their pockets. Now it seems all bets are off, and people will ask for a carrier bag to take two ice creams and a loaf of bread out as far as the car park.

Of course, the 5p carrier bags also get used as cheap bins and bin liners, so at least they often get reused. But even so. And it's generally the younger fraternity, the bunch of 15-20 year olds that are asking for bags, probably as they don't yet have cars they have to carry their purchases home. But we also get people who are out doing their weekly shop, trolley full of shopping - and they never even thought to bring bags.

Edit
Loaf, not load of bread. If they'd bought a load of bread I probably wouldn't grudge them a bag.

New Zealand has banned plastic throw-away shopping bags for over a year. It hasn't resulted in a zombie apocalypse.

New Zealand has banned plastic throw-away shopping bags for over a year. It hasn't resulted in a zombie apocalypse.
I really really wish we could ban them. I wish we didn't have to offer them and that the customer actually had to ASK for a bag. But...not yet. Although I have perfected the art of the raised eyebrow and the 'really?' when someone asks for a carrier bag for one item.

They are aware of the enviroment, they just dont give a f*ck and think its up to everyone else to deal with, the youth today seem to resemble the 80's yuppie attitude. Its all comsumerism and short term thinking, got to have the lasted trainers/phones etc, to hell with how much it costs the enviroment to produce these items that they will use/wear only until the next 'must have' version is promoted by some cock on social media

As others have already said litterbugging and wanton consumerism is far from being the preserve of the young. They learnt the behaviour from someone after all.

Since retiring and not having so much connection with the 'yoof of today' I wouldn't like to comment on their general attitudes. Certainly a fair few of them seem to be much more aware of issues than their elders but as I said I don't really come across a representative sample.

In general I feel sorry for them what with all we have to concern us these days. I can understand why some of them might just be saying 'to hell with it' and give up trying.

After a while you just get weary of trying hard and getting nowhere it's just set in sooner for some than others. I hope enough of them find the energy to overcome the negativity that's in so much abundance just now. :(

Sollywos x

As others have already said litterbugging and wanton consumerism is far from being the preserve of the young. They learnt the behaviour from someone after all.

Since retiring and not having so much connection with the 'yoof of today' I wouldn't like to comment on their general attitudes. Certainly a fair few of them seem to be much more aware of issues than their elders but as I said I don't really come across a representative sample.

In general I feel sorry for them what with all we have to concern us these days. I can understand why some of them might just be saying 'to hell with it' and give up trying.

After a while you just get weary of trying hard and getting nowhere it's just set in sooner for some than others. I hope enough of them find the energy to overcome the negativity that's in so much abundance just now. :(

Sollywos x
I don't think the young are any worse than the old. Most of the rudeness I encounter in the shop is from the middle aged, the young are, almost without exception, incredibly polite. If they litter it's nearly always thoughtlessness (because, at home, rubbish just 'vanishes') or lack of concentration, rather than the wanton littering we are getting out here in the countryside from tourists who don't have to live with the crappy results of their crisp packets in the hedgerows or their car contents tipped in a lay by.

Back