• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Masters of Horror: The TV Series

BlackRiverFalls said:
Takashi Miike's Imprint, his entry in the Masters of Horror series, dropped from broadcast in North America for being too extreme

um, what did they expect when they got Miike in to direct? :?

And the worst thing is it was one of the best ones so they missed out!!

Saw the first one - as usual the physical effects were spot on and suitably nasty. Can't say the the same for the story, actors, CGI, etc.

Saw the second one - it was interesting to see Norm again (Norm!!) as he does sinister well (King of the Ants). It was better than the previous one and it was certainly better than "Deer Woman" (Landis' effort from the first series) and the weird/funny touches largely worked but it didn't hang together well and the twist was obvious (although I hadn't guessed the crucial bit).

I really am looking forward to seeing The Black Cat by Stuart Gordon with Jeffery Combs as Poe.
It already aired in the US, so I will have to wait for a DVD rental.

Has anyone seen it? :D

I have been trying to watch them without knowing too much about upcoming ones so it doesn't colour my judgement.

So I'm watching tonight's story and it was bad, so bad I truly wondered at their quality control so I thought to myself "I bet this is the Mick Garris one". Lo and behold it was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_V_Word

Granted that the quality so far has een grim but I can't seen this one passing muster from a screenwriting class. Unless of course it was written by the creator of the series.

I'm going to keep a hammer by me in case this ever comes on and I'm unable to find the remote control or somehow turn the TV off (now that is horror!!) so I can at least knock myself out.

I cou'dn't face watching Blade so I skipped it and then watched the next episode Sounds Like and I'm really not sure why I bothered. I like The Machinist and was hoping Brad Anderson would provide the first half decent episode but it was just painful. It was like a mediocre Twilight Zone episode spun out to an hour which ended up feeling like 2. I suppose it was aiming for a Tell-Tale-Heart feel but the setup didn't work as well, there were bits that didn't flow well at all and it went on and on and on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sounds_Like

Not sure when the Dario Argento episode airs, but its meant to be an improvement.

John Carpenter next week. I enjoyed his episode in series 1.

I caught the repeat of the John Carpenter one and it was interesting with a Thing-like feel and a Spiderbaby. Ron Perlman was great and what he did to the doctor makes it worth seeing!!

I suppose I was expecting a better ending but.... still best one so far,

I got the season one boxsets for my birthday recently and i'm more or less finished watching them. So far the highlights have been Dante's and Carpenter's episodes plus Miike's one which is one of the most amazing things i've ever seen.

Mick Garris' episode is rubbish. Which is a shame as he seems like a decent enough bloke but he simply doesn't cut it.

I'm looking forward to the rest and season two.

sherbetbizarre said:
I just watched the out-takes from Dario Argento's Jenifer... Ouch!!

It's one of the few times where i can see why something was cut for a TV broadcast. I would have preferred to have the scenes put back in for the DVD though.

I didn't see all of Argento's Pelt but it was grim stuff. It takes a lot to make me wince these days ;)

Just watched the Screwfly one on tonight and it wasn't that great. The first half was nasty and uncomfortable watching that would only appeal to serial killing sex perverts (go on own up) and the second half was weak as Hell - what was the daughter doing? Who didn't see the explantion coming a mile off? And why was it done in such a complex manner?

As the second half didn't work at all it leaves one wondering about the dubious start - if the burtality had a point then it wouldn't seem gratitous but the last half let it down. The amount of T&A during the killings in the stripclub also seemed unwise.

They'd have been better off having the women hunted throughout the film with the story unfolding as flashbacks so we'd start with the mystery of why she is being hunted and the explanation with the Screwfly business would crop up late in the game with Ellio Gould playing more of a pivotal role handing on the information before dying.

licata1708 said:
I really am looking forward to seeing The Black Cat by Stuart Gordon with Jeffery Combs as Poe.
It already aired in the US, so I will have to wait for a DVD rental.

Has anyone seen it? :D

Watched it tonight and it was very good - mixed typical spook Poe-style tales with grand guignol. Not really an adaptation but mor a fictionalised account of Poe experiencing weird events that inspired him to write the story. Combs was very good as usual - he looks so ordinary but brings life to odd characters without too much chewing of the scenery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_ ... episode%29

Its repeated on Friday (or Sunday I forget) and is well worth watching.

Argento's Jenifer, all I can say is crikey. Genuinely nightmarish, the make up was a bit naff but it worked extremely well in this case.

One small point, I would never have let Jenifer's mouth anywhere near my old fella.

Back